View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sad Friday 
RIP Killer

Post Sad Friday
So the way I see it, we didn't find out who was clearly the better team in this series.

Break down:
Games 1-2 - blowouts for SA
Games 3-4 - blowouts for Detroit
Games 5 - OT win by 1 pt for SA
Game 6 - Solid win by Detroit
Game 7 - Solid win by SA

2 blowouts for each team, 1 solid win for each team, and on overtime kicker that was a wash.

There's no clear cut best team like there was last year.

There's always hope for next year! Stones WILL be the World Champs in 2006! Get ready for another rematch in 2006, cuz both teams have a serious shot at going back to the finals.

Apparently Darko is going to the summer league to get some playing time. They say he's great in practice and was picked by the Stones because of his tremendous workouts. Hopefully he'll get to be a factor next year, along with Del Fino.

June 24th, 2005, 8:07 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hopefully LB is back, and Joe D. makes one of his awesome personel moves.

You know, maybe it was good for the Pistons to fell this kind of letdown. Now they will be more detirmined.

June 24th, 2005, 8:59 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

You know, maybe it was good for the Pistons to fell this kind of letdown. Now they will be more detirmined.

And maybe 'Sheed will want to earn that gold belt back.

June 24th, 2005, 9:00 am

bsand2053 wrote:

And maybe 'Sheed will want to earn that gold belt back.

Yeah, he can't carry that around any more. :cry:

This is even worse than when the Wings lost earlier in the last few years. :cry:

June 24th, 2005, 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

This is even worse than when the Wings lost earlier in the last few years.

I agree. Game 7's are usually like that. I was just so sure they were going to pull it out. The summer league team should be fun to watch this year with both Delfino and Milicic on the squad.

No holding my head. I am very proud of these guys. We WILL be back in 2006.

Tim

June 24th, 2005, 10:58 am
Div 1 - Starter

This is even worse than when the Wings lost earlier in the last few years. :cry:

I disagree, guys. I was crushed and furious to see the Wings lose early in the playoffs to teams that were clearly inferior. Because that suggested a lack of effort and maybe even a bunch of bad luck (catching a hot team--see--> Flames, Calgary; or Ducks, Anaheim Mighty.

This Pistons team plays hard when it matters. I have never seen a DET team that plays better with its back to the wall. I actually feel MORE confident with this Pistons team, when they are in an elimination game. Obviously, last night was the first time in 7 such series wherein the Pistons have not pulled it out.

Furthermore, I am satisfied that the Pistons are still a better team than SA, but SA had the bigger star: Tim Duncan. Although I still feel that Duncan is slower than ever before, he is still a susperstar in this league on both ends of the floor and his leadership is unparalleled among big men. This Pistons lost this series because SA hit big shots much more consistently than did Detroit. Nobody has ever suggested that offense was NOT a weakness of this team. Hopefully some of the young guys will develop or Joe D. will find another guy who can create his own shot, or at least catch fire and knock down the critical threes in the playoffs.
To me, that was the difference. With the exception of game 6, our three point shooting was terrible. Hell, our shooting percentage was not very good....but it never is.

We tend to rely on getting more shot attempts than the other team by grabbing offensive boards. SA snatched up a ton of the misses last night. IMO, we got owned on the board last night. At least three times, SA would launch a three and Timmy would be the only Spur inside the three point line and he'd still grab the offensive board for another possession.

I am proud of this team's effort this season, despite the pressure of being defending champs every night and the melee with the Pacers. At least they got to the finals to defend their title, and IMO, they put up a nice fight in the finals. If Horry doesn't hit that ridiculous three, Spurs would have folded like a cheap suit in game 6, no doubt. They needed that kind of miracle to arise from being so stunned at the Palace. Fortunately for Tim and Co., they ttok care of business at home, so that when their little stroke of divine intervention occurred, they were able to take advantage of it.

It ought to be a very interesting offseason for the Pistons, with a coaching change imminent. I also think Joe D. will not be content to rest with the team he has.

-->KG KG KG KG KG KG KG KG KG KG......!

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

June 24th, 2005, 11:40 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree. How can you not be proud of these guys. They played their heart out. San Antonio played great too. It was a great series. Too bad the Pistons did not win, and they might have won. With a bench shooter they probably could have beaten San Antonio. It is pretty hard to win when you get to the final game and no one can manufacture their own shot!

Duncan was not the MVP. This was team basketball. Do we have to anoint a hero for the masses?

If anyone was the MVP on SA it was Bowen. He was their margin, not Duncan's 30% shooting and critical free throw misses.

June 24th, 2005, 1:46 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Oh yeah, Rip and not Sheed is my goat. Sheed does draw too many fouls, but he is net positive when he is in there. Bowen beat rip and that was the key in the series. Of course, he also shut down Chauncey in the fourth quarter without which they might have choked.

June 24th, 2005, 1:49 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I almost shed a tear in my eye when I watched the Stones loose; but theres next year! (Something a Detroit fan will always say) GO PISTONS!! WORLD CHAMPS OF 2006 headbang.gif

Michael Huff for DROY

June 24th, 2005, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

Oh yeah, Rip and not Sheed is my goat.

I'm not sure I agree w/ this completely. Just as there is no 1 person to give all the praise to when we win, I cannot blame just 1 person for the loss. We can blame Rasheed for being passive and getting into foul trouble to early in the game. Ditto for Billups. I would liked to have seen him more aggressive. Rip was just plain off target all night. Prince never really showed up like he could and should have all series. Dice and Big Ben were really the only players that played up to potential last night.

But again, these guys all have amazing heart and genuinely get along as teammates, which these days is rare. There is no doubt we will contend again next year and for at least the next 4 years with our core group.

Tim

June 24th, 2005, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not sure I agree w/ this completely. Just as there is no 1 person to give all the praise to when we win, I cannot blame just 1 person for the loss. We can blame Rasheed for being passive and getting into foul trouble to early in the game. Ditto for Billups. I would liked to have seen him more aggressive. Rip was just plain off target all night. Prince never really showed up like he could and should have all series. Dice and Big Ben were really the only players that played up to potential last night.

But again, these guys all have amazing heart and genuinely get along as teammates, which these days is rare. There is no doubt we will contend again next year and for at least the next 4 years with our core group.

I agree TAD. However, Big Ben didn't really play to his full potential last night. He did in the first half, definately, but the second half he was pretty quiet. Was he not getting the ball, or did he just not score? I'm not sure, I don't remember.

Dice played outstanding during the whole series.

Tayshaun was a disappointment to say the least.

Rip did a good job with Bowen on him throughout the series, considering Bowen is a great D player. Rip wasn't the only one who couldn't shoot, Chauncey and Tayshuan couldn't hit a shot. Chauncey got OWNED with Bowen on him.

Speaking of the future, who do the Stones have that'll become FAs within the near future? I have no idea.

I heard a rumor that Joe was trying to shop Delfino around for draft picks.

June 24th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Speaking of the future, who do the Stones have that'll become FAs within the near future? I have no idea.

Prince is a restricted free agent after the 2006 season. Look for Joe to lock him up long term this summer. Ben has an option in his contract to become a free agent next year as well, but has said in the papers that he is not interested in excercising that option. He will be one in 2007 though.

Quote:
I heard a rumor that Joe was trying to shop Delfino around for draft picks.

That is interesting. I haven't heard that one. Is there a source that you heard that from that I can reference?

Tim

June 24th, 2005, 2:32 pm
RIP Killer

Prince is a restricted free agent after the 2006 season. Look for Joe to lock him up long term this summer. Ben has an option in his contract to become a free agent next year as well, but has said in the papers that he is not interested in excercising that option. He will be one in 2007 though.

Awesome, good stuff TAD.

TADOne wrote:
That is interesting. I haven't heard that one. Is there a source that you heard that from that I can reference?

No source, just a rumor I heard from a fellow fan. No hint of truth behind it. Just thought that was interesting. I would be surprised if they traded Delfino becuase I think he has some a strong upside. I'm not sure what they could get for him because he's an a fairly unproven player.

June 24th, 2005, 2:51 pm

I was quit disappointed last night when the game was over. Being here in Austin a short drive north of SA. It just down right blows monkey nuts.

I knew last night as soon as Chauncey didn't get off to a good start that it could potentially spell doom for the team but I didn't let it get me down untill about 4 minute mark of the game.

The Pistons played hard throughout the playoffs beating some tough teams along the way and part of me thinks that came back to haunt them. Being all worn out from a tough playoffs. However I will say this.. in no way is the spurs a better team than the Pistons.. they just got lucky last night.

And no I am not bitter... hehe

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 24th, 2005, 3:44 pm

However I will say this.. in no way is the spurs a better team than the Pistons.. they just got lucky last night.

Lucky, huh? I bleed Piston's blue and red, but San Antonio is a very good team. I told anyone that would listen to me at the beginning of the playoffs, the only teams that would give us a definitive challenge would be the Heat and the Spurs. But I also said the only team that scares me is the Spurs. The reason for that was the fact they are a lot like us in some ways. They coach values defense and teamwork much like us.

I wish I could say it was luck. But I just can't. However, I can say we got shafted by the refs for at least 5 out of 7 games. And Robert Horry has been hitting big shots and showing up in big games his whole career(god I hate that guy).

With all that being said, the only reason we lost last night was, quite simply, we could not hit shots last night. Our defense was stout, the turnovers were minimal, and we had good energy. But I give San Antonio their due(begrudgingly).

I do give you credit for being able to put up with all those Spurs fans. I think I would have gone crazy :?

Tim

June 24th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next