View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Playoffs!?! 
League MVP

i think a lot of what i wrote is based on the tigers letting ordonez hit the 18 million bonus - i just dont see them spending a ton to keep guys that are going to cost money. rodney and maybe lyon will cost too much. there will be a spot in the pen for a youngster to win in spring training and that assumes Ni, Seay, Miner, Perry make the team.

everett made some bad plays in april but outside of that he has been good in the field, anyways my post has him leaving and being replaced by a platoon of santiago/dlugach or sizemore that has santiago taking the bulk of the games. for the record santiago and everett in the 1st 2 months of the season were great with 2 outs (in the clutch) but yeah i agree neither are great hitters.

catcher - next year will be more of a platoon. laird plays mean defense and his offense is better 250-260 when he has less at bats. avila as a left handed hitting catcher with power and plate discipline can be a major weapon.

i never said that wells beats out raburn (who came up through the system originally as a 2b) and thomas who i have making the team w thomas splitting ABs with Wells altho maybe thomas more likely to take the majority of ABs on 2nd thought.

Polanco - i love him to death but i think 3 yrs even at a slight discount is a stretch for this team when he is already on the decline and with the number of bad contracts they have.

Guillen isnt going anywhere anytime soon , he has shown he can still hit and has some money and time left on his contract. im not in favor of flat out cutting him when he switch hits can play multiple positions in a pinch, gets on base, doesnt strike out excessively and will probably hit 280 or better with extra base hits. now if u can trade, id consider it but cutting him and throwing out a ton of money at someone else doesnt make much sense with how high our payroll is and with decreased attendance in a bad economy. but i have guillen and maggs playing much less so that they are available off the bench bc like u said the bench players listed dont have much pop and so maggs doesnt trigger another 15 mill.

maybe ilitch is willing to spend but i think its better for the organization by taking a look at the youngsters in 2010 see if there is a closer candidate among perry, satterwhite, fien, weinhardt, jensen, etc; see if there is potential that wells, thomas, or ramirez possibly raburn can fill a corner OF spot. make sure maggs doesnt hit his next bonus and use that money after the 2010 season to spend in FA for a vet bat while u can move guillen to more of a DH role and play him less in the field. im not opposed to adding a FA bat this year but i feel they have some value in the plethora of young OFs they have and its kind of a waste to spend before evaluating the depth they have there. if 2b can be filled with raburn, sizemore or dlugach it would be nice to find out rather than never know and then watching polanco decline for 7-8 mill a year. i think there is enough flexibility among raburn, santiago, dlugach, worth, hollimon that even in the worst case scenario the defense at the spot would be fine and at least raburn has shown he can hit.

i think inge stays until his current contract is up and then at that point you can probably get him cheaper and put him back into a super utility role and go after another 3b. i know his avg have returned to his career norms but he helped CARRY the team in the first half with elite numbers 21 HR, 58 RBI, 268 avg 360 obp 876 ops but his flatlining has to do with injuries. even with the flatlinng he has come through in the clutch w a GW HR 3 weeks ago. so maybe next year u spell him a little with the Left handed hitting larish at times and maybe here or there with dlugach, santiago and possibly raburn to keep him fresh longer.

September 22nd, 2009, 10:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Inge can hit. When he isn't catching. Look back over the years. His worst years at the plate, co-ordinate with when he was behind the plate.

But, the problem with Inge since the all-star break is that he has Patellar Tendinitis. He can't plant his front foot to get any power on his hits There is no surgical procedure that can fix the problem.

September 23rd, 2009, 9:39 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Billy, Inge has NEVER been able to hit for average over a full season. Just look at his stats if you don't believe me. He may have had a .270 in there, but that wasn't over a full season, so your argument is BS. IMO, he's one of the reasons why the Tigers are having trouble holding off the Twins at this point. Of course, there are several other reasons, but I've never understood why people love that POS! Inge sucks!

September 23rd, 2009, 11:35 pm
Heisman Winner

Billy, Inge has NEVER been able to hit for average over a full season. Just look at his stats if you don't believe me. He may have had a .270 in there, but that wasn't over a full season, so your argument is BS. IMO, he's one of the reasons why the Tigers are having trouble holding off the Twins at this point. Of course, there are several other reasons, but I've never understood why people love that POS! Inge sucks!

Thank God someone understands my loathing of Inge. To be honest he's not all that great in the field either. He has one of the worse fielding percentages in the league at 3rd base. I don't understand the love fest for him. Is it because he was on those horrible teams in the early 2000s? I just don't see it. I think a few years ago I went into a fell stat fest showing how inept he was and after I posted that the thread went dead.

[/rant]

September 24th, 2009, 9:36 am
League MVP

he carried this teams offense in the 1st half when ordonez, polanco, granderson, guillen even cabrera were doing underperforming or not playing. he was an all star for a reason and is a candidate to be a gold glover. he was this teams mvp as far as position players are concerned in the 1st half. his decline in ba in the second half is more related to his knee problems.

September 24th, 2009, 6:49 pm
he carried this teams offense in the 1st half when ordonez, polanco, granderson, guillen even cabrera were doing underperforming or not playing. he was an all star for a reason and is a candidate to be a gold glover. he was this teams mvp as far as position players are concerned in the 1st half. his decline in ba in the second half is more related to his knee problems.

I wonder how much going O-fer in the HR derby kicked his confidence in the nutz... It really seems like he's a different player since the HR competition...

September 24th, 2009, 7:38 pm
League MVP

September 24th, 2009, 7:56 pm
Heisman Winner

Blah, I'm sick and tired of hearing about his knee. If it bothers him that much go on the DL and get better. He only hurt the team and if that's the reason for his drop of shame on him and Leyland for continuing to play him day in and day out. He was the best player on the Tigers for about 2 and a half months, I will freely admit it.

He will never be the great fielder that everyone says he is in my eyes. He will make a great play once every 4 games but he will boot a ball that any other average 3rd baseman could make blindfolded.

September 24th, 2009, 9:41 pm
RIP Killer

Inge is a middle of the pack 3rd sacker, no better.

I'd take a dozen other 3rds in the league for BI.

Reynolds
Wright
Longoria
Sandoval
Figgins
Ramirez
Kouzmanoff
Young
DeRosa
McGehee
A-Rod

The list goes on.

September 24th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I never said that he could hit for average. There's more to consider than just average. You have to look at Inge as a power hitter. HR's and RBI's are his thing. In a way he is a microcosm of the Tigers.

ALL or NOTHING.

September 26th, 2009, 10:13 am
League MVP

i agree inge shouldve went on dl, them keeping him active and underperforming is clearly questiobable especially with raburn's hot bat and plenty of defensive replacements. having him healthy would be a big boost, having him play injured seems unnecessary and not helpful

co2 wrote:

Inge is a middle of the pack 3rd sacker, no better.

Quote:
I'd take a dozen other 3rds in the league for BI.

Reynolds
Wright
Longoria
Sandoval
Figgins
Ramirez
Kouzmanoff
Young
DeRosa
McGehee
A-Rod

The list goes on.

no to kouzmanoff, derosa or mcgehee ahead of inge. also something is wrong w wright but hes equal in the field and can at least still hit for avg and run

September 26th, 2009, 6:47 pm
NFL Team Captain

The boys better have their poop in a group this week.

I just don't understand having Robertson and Bonine in the rotation for this series. Maybe Leyland has an ace up his sleave. :?

September 28th, 2009, 3:16 pm
League MVP

they have no choice but to use those 2...the other options are miner who they will need anyway out of the pen or galarraga who has been less consistent then either robertson or bonine.

September 30th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Atleast they split yesterday, even though they should have won both. Now, they must win one of these last two games against the Twins to have a fighting chance. If they lose both, you might as well call it over.

September 30th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Looking pretty good tonight. 7-2 Tigers in the bottom of the sixth. Pretty happy with the way Bonine is pitching tonight outside of the first inning. Hopefully we can see some more of that and squeeze a postseason trip out of it yet.

September 30th, 2009, 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next