View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Michigan vs. Michigan State Smack Talk 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Michigan vs. Michigan State Smack Talk
As I predicted two weeks ago, it's going to be the 4-0 Michigan Wolverines going up against the 1-3 Michigan State Spartans in East Lansing next weekend. It's going to be a high scoring game since both defenses suck, so it's all going to come down to the health of Michigan QB Tate Forcier. If he's able to play, Michigan should win. If he can't, it's going to get very interesting.

September 26th, 2009, 3:55 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Michigan vs. Michigan State Smack Talk
slybri19 wrote:
As I predicted two weeks ago, it's going to be the 4-0 Michigan Wolverines going up against the 1-3 Michigan State Spartans in East Lansing next weekend. It's going to be a high scoring game since both defenses suck, so it's all going to come down to the health of Michigan QB Tate Forcier. If he's able to play, Michigan should win. If he can't, it's going to get very interesting.

If Michigan's good luck and State's bad luck continues Michigan has a shot. Otherwise, UofM comes back to reality which is they just aren't that good.

September 27th, 2009, 9:21 am
Profile WWW

If Michigan's good luck and State's bad luck continues Michigan has a shot. Otherwise, UofM comes back to reality which is they just aren't that good.

So says the fan of a team that is 1-3. Um, OK. :lol:

September 27th, 2009, 9:30 am

I don't think that U of M is a great program right now, but I do think they're better than MSU. This could come down to home field advntage, but I wouldn't want to try argue that MSU is a good football team right now...

September 27th, 2009, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

And MSU is good???

I don't think that U of M is a great program right now, but I do think they're better than MSU. This could come down to home field advntage, but I wouldn't want to try argue that MSU is a good football team right now...

I'm not saying MSU is good, don't read into what I'm saying guys. I'm saying both teams are bad. I watched both play against ND and given State played in Big Bend, I'd give them the slight edge and given they are playing at home in this one, as WJB points out - I'd give them the edge.

State lost a close one on the road to Wisc yesterday, Michigan pulled it off late (again) against a weak Indiana team.

I'm realistic and understand State isn't good this year. Are you guys realistic as well?

September 27th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

The defense is shoddy, but the offense can score practically at will.

The Indiana game was close. Not because Indiana was as good, but because Michigan made a lot of mistakes. How many fumbles did they have? How many bad snaps? Obviously, lack of discipline is a valid knock on the team, but these are mistakes which can be corrected easily. You take these out, and the game isn't even close.

Not that I think our team is winning the NC game this year, but they'll go 9-3 or 10-2 and make it to a good bowl.

They'll crush State.

September 27th, 2009, 3:37 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
And MSU is good???

I'm not saying MSU is good, don't read into what I'm saying guys. I'm saying both teams are bad. I watched both play against ND and given State played in Big Bend, I'd give them the slight edge and given they are playing at home in this one, as WJB points out - I'd give them the edge.

State lost a close one on the road to Wisc yesterday, Michigan pulled it off late (again) against a weak Indiana team.

I'm realistic and understand State isn't good this year. Are you guys realistic as well?

You should know that I am by my prevois post... I do think that U of M is a better team, but the better team doesn't always prevail on the road.

I realize what you're saying about Ind. at home and having to come back, but that was a fluke game that U of M could have been winning by 21. I realize what "could have"'s get you, but still... U of M did everything they could to LOSE that game and still came out ahead. Forciea was 4-10 in the 3rd Q and we still won... IMO that's the mark of a good team... When your best player/leader can have a bad game and you still win, something good is going on.

Personally I'm glad that U of M had a bad game. It was a good kick in the azz and lets them know that they need a LOT more work to be good, and it came at a time when, IMO, they were getting cocky.

If I had to bet I'd pick U of M in this game, even though its on the road, I have to go with the better team over home-field advantage, but I think it is going to be a good game.

September 27th, 2009, 6:18 pm
RIP Killer

September 27th, 2009, 7:52 pm

When I was growing up, I used to root for State whenever they weren't playing Michigan, but not anymore. Their fans, who are obsessed with the Wolverines, have turned me against them because of their hatred and jealousy. It's rather pathetic. In fact, a friend emailed this morning that he wouldn't care if State lost all the rest of their games as long as they beat Michigan. Shouldn't a TRUE fan wish for their team to win as many games as possible? Not Sparty! They're happier when Michigan loses than they are when their own team wins. What a sad life that must be.

September 27th, 2009, 11:51 pm
RIP Killer

When I was growing up, I used to root for State whenever they weren't playing Michigan, but not anymore. Their fans, who are obsessed with the Wolverines, have turned me against them because of their hatred and jealousy. It's rather pathetic. In fact, a friend emailed this morning that he wouldn't care if State lost all the rest of their games as long as they beat Michigan. Shouldn't a TRUE fan wish for their team to win as many games as possible? Not Sparty! They're happier when Michigan loses than they are when their own team wins. What a sad life that must be.

Too bad you were turned off by a few bad fans. Funny, cause most of the State fans I know are all very classy. I don't see hatred and jealousy - in fact I've seen much more of this from Michigan fans towards ND and especially OSU than I have seen of State towards Michigan. UofM will always be my 2nd favorite NCAA team (not that I won't throw a few jabs when you lose to a Div II team).

I will cheer for Michigan every game except this week. Find UofM fans who do the same.

I was a Michigan fan growing up, but I went to State and loved every second of it. Good luck the rest of this season, just not this Saturday.

GO STATE!

September 28th, 2009, 1:00 am
Profile WWW

Pablo, I congratulate you on being a decent fan. I know that the majority of MSU alumni feel this way, but there are more bad apples out there than you probably know (since you live out of state). I personally didn't see this resentment toward Michigan until the mid to late 90's and it has increased in intensity every year since. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is now.

Just to elaborate on your earlier point, when I attended UM in 92-93, Ohio State and Notre Dame were our chief rivals and we definitely hated them. MSU was just an afterthought and that's where the problem began. MSU viewed UM as their main rival, while UM didn't give two anal discharges about them. Spartan fans felt slighted and took it personally, hence the hatred of UM. Therefore, UM fans now hate MSU almost as much as they do OSU and ND today. Little brother will never reach the rivalry status of those other two schools and that's why some of their fans are pissed.

I know it's childish, but that's what it all comes down to. Sad, but true. All MSU has to do is beat UM consistently before the alumni will even consider it to be a major rivalry, but it hasn't happened yet. As a result, they rest 3rd on the rivalry chart and certain Sparty fans can't deal with that when UM is #1 on theirs.

September 28th, 2009, 2:07 am
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

So says the fan of a team that is 1-3. Um, OK. :lol:

And lost to CMU for the 3rd time :!: :lol:

September 28th, 2009, 8:16 pm
RIP Killer

UofM isn't that good. They beat some poor teams by the skin of their teeth. That won't work against Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc.

Both teams need defensive overhauls. I expect a game close to a combined 80 points, decided by less than 7.

September 29th, 2009, 8:45 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

After finishing 3-9 last year, i'll take all of the victories UM can muster, whether it is ugly or lucky. True enough, UM isn't as good as some people claim, but I don't think they are that bad either. Bottom line, the Wolverines defense can't keep getting pushed around and expect the offense to save them every game. It just isn't going to happen.

With that said, the game this weekend will be extremely tough for UM to win. MSU is hurting right now after 3 straight losses and that makes them truly dangerous. If UM can pressure the QB and the freshmen can handle their first road game in a hostile environment, then I say UM wins by 2 scores. If not, then I expect another game going down to the final possession.

Tim

September 29th, 2009, 9:42 am
Div 1 - Starter

Some of the UM/State talk spilled onto Jim Rome Show today thanks to Larry Foote. He didn't have much to say on the "rivalry" except that it wasn't really a rivalry from UofM standpoint.

September 30th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next