View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Michigan vs. Michigan State Smack Talk 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Congrats to Sparty for outcoaching an idiot. It's not much to be proud of though. Who fakes a punt from the 16 by having the punter run instead of the upback? Who rushes three on 3rd and 17 when the majority of the team can't cover anyways? Who plays the CBs 12 yards off even on 3rd and 6? Who doesn't max protect when the OL is having a tough day? Who continues with a non-existent running game when the opponent can't cover anyone? RichRod, that's who!

And Pablo, I agree with you that UM should have gotten two late hit penalties, but you've got to be kidding me about the non-holding calls. Sparty was holding on just about every passing play and it was only called once. Take off the green-colored glasses.

In the end, it came down to MSU's bad defense stepping up and manhandling UM's offensive line, while UM's bad defense just stayed bad. Alot of that has to do with coaching and scheme, but poor tackling and coverage didn't help either. The poor blocking and dropped passes didn't help Michigan's offense either. Oh well. UM is still 4-1, which is better than they did last year.

October 3rd, 2009, 3:47 pm
Pro Bowl Player

The punt was Zoltan's fault. He made that read, it wasn't called.

The defense has great LBs and one awesome CB. They need more talent.

But ultimately, they lost because the offense took far too long to get into rhythm.

Oh well, the future is very bright.

October 3rd, 2009, 3:52 pm
RIP Killer

UofM, killing the best rivalry is all of sports one loss at a time...

October 3rd, 2009, 4:06 pm

Remember Cooper? It has happened before and it will happen again. :D

October 3rd, 2009, 4:10 pm
RIP Killer

At least OSU was GOOD during the time we constantly got owned by MI. I'm fine with winning all the time as long as we don't win because MI has an AWEFUL team.

October 3rd, 2009, 4:14 pm

I forgot to add earlier that RichRod's (or GRob's) defense looks a lot like Marinelli's defense of last year. Use undersized linemen (when you have Campbell on the bench), only rush 3 or 4, play 12 yards back, don't press the WRs, play zone, and don't tackle well. Are we sure that Marinelli isn't on this staff? It looks like the same bullshit to me.

I know that other than Graham and Warren that the defense doesn't have a lot of talent, but the coaching staff should atleast put them in a position to make plays and win the game. It's truly pathetic. RichRod is just too committed to his 3-3-5 defense, which may work in the Big East, but will never work in the Big Ten. Until he realizes this and adapts, it's gonna be the same bullshit.

October 3rd, 2009, 6:01 pm
RIP Killer

Just saw the highlights... that looked like an exciting game!

October 3rd, 2009, 6:19 pm
I forgot to add earlier that RichRod's (or GRob's) defense looks a lot like Marinelli's defense of last year. Use undersized linemen (when you have Campbell on the bench), only rush 3 or 4, play 12 yards back, don't press the WRs, play zone, and don't tackle well. Are we sure that Marinelli isn't on this staff? It looks like the same bullshit to me.

I know that other than Graham and Warren that the defense doesn't have a lot of talent, but the coaching staff should atleast put them in a position to make plays and win the game. It's truly pathetic. RichRod is just too committed to his 3-3-5 defense, which may work in the Big East, but will never work in the Big Ten. Until he realizes this and adapts, it's gonna be the same bullshit.

I'm not making excuses for Rich Rod, but its difficult in college when you have starters out and they're replaced with 19 yr old kids and BOTH the FS and SS starters are hurt in a secondary that already isn't very good...

October 4th, 2009, 12:25 am
Pro Bowl Player

In defense(oh look a pun lol) of the 3-3-5 in general:

Schematically, the strengths of the 3-3-5 are against the spread offense and passing orientated teams. The weakness is against the power run.

I understand, then, the philosophy behind employing the scheme. First, RichRod's main goal as a coach is to run the circus and put a lot of points on the board. If UM can get a lead on the opposing team, then the opposing team is forced into a passing situation where the 3-3-5 excels.

Also, the spread has pretty much dominated college football for the last five years and probably will continue to dominate for at least the next decade. This means more teams will employ it, and the more spread teams UM plays against, the better the defense will be.

Now, obviously, the Big 10 is a very old conference with established culture. The power run may never die here and for that reason you could be right.

But I think you have agree that condemning the defensive scheme at this point is premature at best. The talent level is low. This is basically their first season running the defense--last year they had an odd hybrid defense with a coordinator who didn't agree with the scheme.

The offense last year was horrible. They didn't have the right players and they hadn't setup the system. Now that they have the players they need and everyone is on the same page, its like night and day. Perhaps it will be that way with the defense in the coming seasons.

October 4th, 2009, 4:01 am
RIP Killer

oh, and a note to both coaches - stick with your starting quarterbacks. Rotating your QBs is killing drives and any momentum you have - gesh.

I truly hope Michigan wins the rest of its games. The world seems a better place when UofM is consistently one of the top teams in college football. I'd much rather beat a very good Michigan team than the one we have seen the past two years.

October 4th, 2009, 10:18 am
Profile WWW

Blueskies, I understand what you're saying, but I will never ever agree that smaller is better. We saw that philosophy firsthand with the Lions last year, and I never want to witness it again. If playing with only three DL isn't bad enough, their starters only average about 275 lbs. I keep screaming for Will Campbell to play since he is their biggest DT, but he seldom even sees the field.

I have no problem with using five DBs in passing situations, but do they have to play that soft zone crap 95% of the time? Every team Michigan has played this year has carved it up, yet they continue to use it. How about playing some man coverage for a change since what they're doing now isn't working? It's just frustrating.

October 4th, 2009, 11:08 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Congrats to Sparty for outcoaching an idiot. It's not much to be proud of though. Who fakes a punt from the 16 by having the punter run instead of the upback? Who rushes three on 3rd and 17 when the majority of the team can't cover anyways? Who plays the CBs 12 yards off even on 3rd and 6? Who doesn't max protect when the OL is having a tough day? Who continues with a non-existent running game when the opponent can't cover anyone? RichRod, that's who!

This is all the stuff he did at WVU that made me nuts. Although you didn't mention how passes are rarely--if ever--thrown to the middle of the field between the hash marks. Even when the middle is wide open (which is what cost WVU a shot at the national championship game). I'm rooting for UM and I'm hopeful that Rodriguez will have the kind of success he had at WVU but I'm not at all surprised to see that his approach hasn't changed much.

October 6th, 2009, 10:06 pm

mwill2, believe it or not RichRod is using the middle of the field this year. Granted, it isn't often, but he is using it. Better yet, the guy they usually throw it to going down the middle is the TE! Imagine that.

October 7th, 2009, 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3