View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How far can the Wings go this year? 
Bubbles the Lion

Post How far can the Wings go this year?
I know the Red Wings have lost a lot and other teams in the West have loaded up (San Jose, Dany Heatley) and the Blackhawks with Hossa, but I could see the Wings going to the Western Finals. If their defense can improve with younger skaters and the PK can improve, the loss of all those goals could be offset a little bit. Bertuzzi and Jason Williams will help on the Power Play but won't match the production that has left. Osgood has got to be reliable and its put up or shut up time for Jimmy Howard. I am glad to see the Wings give him a shot instead of signing another vet. The division and good playoff seed aren't a lock this year but maybe we can get into a playoff mode earlier. Can't wait to see them in Sweden today! GO WINGS!

October 2nd, 2009, 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Jimmy Howard won't be a Red Wing next year, and he may not make it through the season.

October 2nd, 2009, 10:16 am
Bubbles the Lion

I just think when you draft a guy pretty high, you got to give him a chance to prove himself in the NHL. He has been a Griffin for too long. Hopefully Thomas McCollum or Daniel Larsson can be ready sooner than later to fill the need if we have one. I hope Howard succeeds of course, but would be fine with trading him for a little more scoring at the deadline.

October 2nd, 2009, 10:27 am
Profile WWW
I just think when you draft a guy pretty high, you got to give him a chance to prove himself in the NHL. He has been a Griffin for too long. Hopefully Thomas McCollum or Daniel Larsson can be ready sooner than later to fill the need if we have one. I hope Howard succeeds of course, but would be fine with trading him for a little more scoring at the deadline.

I agree 100%, but Howard isn't going to pan out. He is a bust, and he's not an NHL caliber goalie.

October 2nd, 2009, 10:32 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I think the Wings will have a difficult time winning the division this year because the Blackhawks have added Hossa and their younger players are starting to come into their own. They will, however, make the playoffs and could go far, but it's extremely difficult to reach the Stanley Cup Finals three years in a row. I believe they'll have a good year, but not great.

October 2nd, 2009, 10:45 am

Well, the Wings have started off by losing two in a row to the Blues in Sweden. This is not a good sign. Of course, their scoring will be down, but unless they tighten up their defense and goaltending, it's going to be a long year. :cry:

October 3rd, 2009, 5:47 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Yeah and Jimmy Howard looked awful. The Blues are going to be better be we looked terribly sloppy. Even the long road trip can't be an excuse.

October 3rd, 2009, 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Yeah and Jimmy Howard looked awful. The Blues are going to be better be we looked terribly sloppy. Even the long road trip can't be an excuse.

like i said...

October 4th, 2009, 12:27 am

I know that Howard sucks, but Osgood didn't play much better on Friday. Mason came up with three or four spectacular saves to give his team the win, while Osgood didn't stop anything he shouldn't have. When the team needed him to come up with a huge save, he failed. That was the difference in the game Friday. I don't know about Saturday since I was watching football and missed it.

October 4th, 2009, 11:16 am
NFL Team Captain

October 5th, 2009, 10:26 am
RIP Killer

It's amazing that these guys are as competitive as they are (only out of 1st by 3 points (and they've played 1 game less)) with all the injuries.

Williams is out with a broken leg. Minimum 2 months, but he may need surgery...might be the season.

Franzen is out with a torn ACL. Might play this season, I doubt it.

Filppula is out with a broken wrist. Minimum 2 months.

Lilja is out with a concussion. Probably a week.

Eaves is out with bruised foot. Probably back Wednesday.

This team would be pretty damn good if Osgood and Howard didn't suck donkey balls.

November 9th, 2009, 12:07 am

But, they'll get the salary cap space to acquire a premier player at the trade deadline. I don't know if you understand LTIR, but the Wings couldn't use it unless they had injured players. They'll be fine in the long run. Atleast, I hope they will. Losing to Toronto is not a good sign.

November 9th, 2009, 1:40 am
RIP Killer

Well, the offense hasn't been sputtering lately, with 3 goals (2 that really count - open netters are gimmies) against a good Vancouver team with an excellent goalie and destroying Columbus with 9 goals.

Jimmy Howard has been on fire the past couple games. He's on his way to proving me wrong, but he needs to do this in more than a few straight games.

November 13th, 2009, 11:16 am
Well, the offense hasn't been sputtering lately, with 3 goals (2 that really count - open netters are gimmies) against a good Vancouver team with an excellent goalie and destroying Columbus with 9 goals.

Jimmy Howard has been on fire the past couple games. He's on his way to proving me wrong, but he needs to do this in more than a few straight games.

His MO in GR was that he was unmotivated and simply coasted though the minor leages. He played just well enough to keep his starting job (most of the time), and that is it. Hopefully coming up to the NHL rejuvenated him and his desire to improve. I'm betting against it though... I think his recent "good" play is more attributable to good defense than it is to his own personal improvement

November 13th, 2009, 4:12 pm

While I doubt that Howard is the goalie of the future (that should be McCollum), I have been impressed with his play as of late. One thing that I've noticed is that he's coming out to challenge shooters more often instead of sitting back in his net. I think this has helped him a lot and he needs to keep doing it.

November 14th, 2009, 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next