View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Crabtree's Holdout 
RIP Killer

Don't forget that Cleveland was very open about why they had no interest in drafting Crabtree.....BEFORE the draft happened. It was widely reported that he walked in that place with an attitude and Cleveland cut the visit short as a result.

This boy obviously has delusions of grandeur, no doubt implanted by his family, friends and Parker. That said, if he's not smart enough to figure out that Parker is costing him millions of dollars in current and future earnings, I have trouble believing he'll be smart enough to do what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

I have a strong gut feeling that Crabtree is going to be a bust in the NFL.

September 29th, 2009, 3:13 pm
RIP Killer

September 29th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

He is BMW... but is Holding Himself out of the League... making him even stupider.

September 29th, 2009, 3:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

It's a wonder actually, how someone could be this simple. How can't he see that he's losing tons of money? He has a great skill set, I don't think that it would be hard for him to earn a bigger contract in a couple years anyway.

September 29th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I don't think has been brought up yet, but the 49ers could trade Crabtree's rights between March 1st and upto a week prior to the draft. They can't do it now, but they do have that month and a half window to do so if they wish.

October 1st, 2009, 11:40 am

Looks like he finally caved in, but I would like to hear the specifics of the contract:
ESPN wrote:
Sources: Crabtree, 49ers agree to deal

After months of holding out, wide receiver Michael Crabtree has agreed to a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Crabtree will get a six-year deal that he can void to five years if he meets undefined performance clauses, a league source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The 22-year-old Crabtree is expected to report to the team's training facility Wednesday.

Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker met into the early-morning hours Wednesday with 49ers owner Jed York, general manager Scot McCloughan and Paraag Marathe, vice president of football operations. The two sides had gone almost three weeks without talking.

San Francisco selected Crabtree with the 10th pick in this year's draft and could use the wideout's game-breaking ability in the passing game. That said, he has a lot of catching up to do to learn the offense after missing all of training camp.

He also sat out the 49ers' offseason minicamps and organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury, but was a regular presence for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts at the team's training facility.

Coach Mike Singletary, whose 49ers lead the NFC West and at 3-1 are off to their best start since 2002, said Monday he would welcome Crabtree whenever he joins the team.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his college career with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

October 7th, 2009, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

Wonder what he got $ wise. Glad he finally stopped being a moron and got this done.

October 7th, 2009, 11:58 am
RIP Killer

Wonder what he got $ wise. Glad he finally stopped being a moron and got this done.

He's still a moron and always will be one. I think he has a bit too much T.O. in him, personality wise, and is deficient to T.O. talent wise.

I hope the Hell SF told him he's going to have his salary for this year reduced by three games, plus more for missing camp over this. Their offer was fair, and it's what he ended up agreeing to anyways.

Michael Crabtree + Eugene Parker = Two Large Used Stinky Douchebags

October 7th, 2009, 12:03 pm
RIP Killer

October 7th, 2009, 12:09 pm

M2K, Crabtree will automatically lose 4/17th of his base salary for missing the first four weeks and there's nothing he can do about it. As for missing training camp, he wasn't under contract, so there is no penalty. And needless to say, I agree that both Parker and Crabtree are douchebags.

October 7th, 2009, 12:46 pm

PFT wrote:
Crabtree's base deal: six years, $32 million
Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2009 3:07 PM ET
In the wake of the news that the 49ers have signed receiver Michael Crabtree after an extended holdout, there has been not a hint of the dollars to be paid to Crabtree.

And since this means that his agent hasn't leaked the numbers, it means that his agent feels no specific motivation to do so.

Possibly because his agent isn't all that thrilled to have his name on the deal.

So the numbers will come from sources other than Crabtree's agent. And we've gotten our mitts into them.

Per a league source, Crabtree has signed a six-year, $32 million contract. (The total includes guaranteed money, base salaries, and the one-time incentive based on achieving minimum playing time.)

The deal also includes $17 million in guaranteed money.

As reported elsewhere, the deal can void to five years based on performance triggers, wiping out a final year base salary of $4 million. But they won't be easily reached.

The source tells us that, in his first four seasons (including 2009), Crabtree must either qualify for two Pro Bowls, or he must qualify for one Pro Bowl in one year and he must participate in 80 percent of the offensive snaps in a separate year in which the team makes the playoffs.

In other words, if in 2010 he qualifies for the Pro Bowl and the team makes the playoffs and he participates in 80 percent of the snaps, he'll still need to make it to the Pro Bowl or achieve the 80-percent/playoffs in another season.

Since the chances of Crabtree making the Pro Bowl or participating in 80 percent of the offensive snaps this year is roughly zero percent, he'll have three years to get it done.

And it won't be easy. Frankly, he'll be hard pressed to make it to one Pro Bowl in three years with the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, the other Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, DeSean Jackson, Johnny Knox, Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings, Roddy White, T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the same conference.

So, by all appearances, it's a six-year deal. And at $17 million in guaranteed money, the per-year guarantee is a tepid $2.83 million per year.

There's another problem with the deal -- it has no mid-tier incentive package. Instead, the additional $8 million that Crabtree can earn (pushing the max value to six years, $40 million) requires the kind of unrealistic, mega-star performances that no rookie is likely to ever achieve.

So while the contract paid to Packers defensive tackle B.J. Raji covers five years and pays $22.5 million, he has the ability (if he's a solid player) to make up the difference between his base deal and Crabtree's five-year, $28 million haul via the mid-tier incentive package in Raji's deal.

And unless Crabtree meets the performance thresholds necessary to void the sixth year, he'll be stuck under contract for another year at a base salary of only $4 million.

There's one other area of concern with the deal. Crabtree, per the source, received no option bonus. Instead, he has significant money tied to a fairly new device known as a "discretionary salary advance," which unlike an opition bonus is subject to forfeiture if Crabtree decides in a year or two that he wants to hold out for a better deal. (We're also told that the 49ers have included language that would make certain escalators subject to forfeiture, too.)

Meanwhile, the deal falls well short of the mark for which Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker were aiming -- the five-year, $38.25 million contract paid by the Raiders to receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh overall pick in the draft.

Even if Crabtree successfully voids the final year, he'll make more than $2 million per year less on average than Heyward-Bey.

Thus, as we explained earlier in the day, this is a deal that Crabtree could have done in July, which would have given him a much better chance of making a contribution to the 49ers during his rookie year.

So while the final outcome can be described as win-win, the broader view suggests that it's really a lose-lose situation.

Basically, Crabtree got paid what he should have as the 10th pick in the draft, and not anything more. His deal averages $5.33M per year with $17M guaranteed. Raji at #9 averages $5.7M per year (It's actually a $28.5M contract) with $18M guaranteed, while Maybin at #11 averages $5M per year with $15M guaranteed.

October 7th, 2009, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

I hope from now on teams use the phrase, "How'd that work for Crabtree?" during negotiations...

October 7th, 2009, 4:34 pm
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.

This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!

October 7th, 2009, 5:21 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.

This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!

I agree. It's great to see a team tell a new player what's going to happen rather than what the rookie tell the team by holding out. No rookie should ever be able to do that.

October 7th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Now someone has egg on their face...

I hope from now on teams use the phrase, "How'd that work for Crabtree?" during negotiations...

Nice
:lol:

October 7th, 2009, 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next