View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:04 pm



Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 DE Brandon Graham 
Author Message
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post DE Brandon Graham
It is painfully obvious that the lions need some depth and talent at DE. Our system asks the DE to line outside far enough to funnel plays inside. I feel that requires shorter DE with some burst. Essentially we are probably going to go after those DE/OLB Hybrids that 3-4 teams covet. However we will have a narrowed search because we need them to be able to play DE not OLB.

Graham uses his height, or lack of, to his advantage by getting under tackles and creating pressure and anchoring the run. He is also a hard worker. Graham would allow us to move Avril to RE again. Grahams lack of height will also make him drop down the board making him available most likely at some point in the second.

Your Thoughts?


September 28th, 2009, 8:53 am
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
I brought him up earlier as a consideration in the 2nd rd and I was pretty much alone on that even though I still say he looks very similar to Woodley back then....


September 30th, 2009, 12:02 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Stallion, I disagree with you about Schwartz wanting shorter DEs. In Tennessee, their entire DL consisted of taller players, but that may have been what Fisher wanted instead. With that said, look at the DEs that the Lions signed or claimed off waivers this year. All of them have been atleast 6'2". If Schwartz truly wanted shorter DEs, don't you think he would have signed atleast one of them?

As for Graham, I like the guy as a college player, but I think he lacks the explosion to excel in the NFL. Sure, he'll make a team and probably become a solid starter, but I can't see him ever becoming an elite pass rusher. He ought to be decent against the run and get maybe 5 sacks a year, but that's about it.

_________________
Image


September 30th, 2009, 10:19 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
As for Graham, I like the guy as a college player, but I think he lacks the explosion to excel in the NFL. Sure, he'll make a team and probably become a solid starter, but I can't see him ever becoming an elite pass rusher. He ought to be decent against the run and get maybe 5 sacks a year, but that's about it.


Aka Jared DeVries

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


September 30th, 2009, 2:07 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
Stallion, I disagree with you about Schwartz wanting shorter DEs. In Tennessee, their entire DL consisted of taller players, but that may have been what Fisher wanted instead. With that said, look at the DEs that the Lions signed or claimed off waivers this year. All of them have been atleast 6'2". If Schwartz truly wanted shorter DEs, don't you think he would have signed atleast one of them?

Schwartz's big thing was not running a scheme so I don't think that what Tennesee runs pertains to us.

The reason I think that we are leaning towards smaller DE's is I feel our DE are smaller. Our DE average size is 6'3 265lbs. Also, Schwartz and Gunny said the are using allot of 34 principles in our 4 front. We line our DE up a good distance outside the OT which to me seems like smaller, more explosive DE's are of greater use. Short height cna be an advantage if you are stout and have a good rip (basically what Harrison lives off of in Pitt). I could be wrong though.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


September 30th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3694
Location: WSU
Post 
i see graham becoming a very good nfl player - he is explosive and is nothing like devries


October 10th, 2009, 11:30 am
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
Graham, I think, should definitely be an option for the Lions. I'm not at all concerned about height. Graham is built a lot like Dwight Freeney. It looks like there are a lot of decent DE prospects in the upcoming draft: Hardy, Dunlap, Graham, Hughes, Kindle, Wooten, Selvie, and it is likely that a good one could be available near the top of the second round.

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


October 13th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I am beginning to wonder if Graham was nursing an injury earlier in the season, because he seems much more explosive off the ball now than in the first two or three games. He had a pretty strong game against Iowa.


October 14th, 2009, 6:16 am
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
I am beginning to wonder if Graham was nursing an injury earlier in the season, because he seems much more explosive off the ball now than in the first two or three games. He had a pretty strong game against Iowa.


Or maybe we should look at his entire body of work rather than making claims after 2 games...


October 14th, 2009, 12:32 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
I am beginning to wonder if Graham was nursing an injury earlier in the season, because he seems much more explosive off the ball now than in the first two or three games. He had a pretty strong game against Iowa.


Really? I thought he was an absolute beast against Western Michigan, at least. He was up in Hiller's business every other play. He just didn't register any sacks because Hiller has a killer release, but I thought that Graham had a huge impact in that game. I felt that his early season was just filled with a lot of near misses on sacks and now his string of bad luck is over.

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


October 15th, 2009, 10:28 pm
Profile
Post 
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I am beginning to wonder if Graham was nursing an injury earlier in the season, because he seems much more explosive off the ball now than in the first two or three games. He had a pretty strong game against Iowa.


Really? I thought he was an absolute beast against Western Michigan, at least. He was up in Hiller's business every other play. He just didn't register any sacks because Hiller has a killer release, but I thought that Graham had a huge impact in that game. I felt that his early season was just filled with a lot of near misses on sacks and now his string of bad luck is over.


S&C... Did you notice that he was on the sidelines for a lot of that game? I agree with your assessment, but he missed a lot of snaps that game. I couldn't tell if Rich Rod was pulling him when we were ahead, or if he was pulling him for some other reason. WMU did a MUCH better job of moving the ball when he wasn't in there. RR would take Graham out, WMU would get down to the 20 or 30 yard line, RR would put Graham back in, and they would generally stop them at that point. I just don't know why he kept coming in and out of the game...


October 16th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
I was at the game today and noticed something Graham definatley needs to work on. He really need to get going once the ball is snapped. He took himself out of the play a few times by not even getting out of his stance.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


November 7th, 2009, 11:28 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3694
Location: WSU
Post 
i saw him come out of his stance real slow a couple times also


November 8th, 2009, 6:20 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Brandon Graham really hurt himself today at the Senior Bowl weigh in. He measured in at 6'1" and 263 lbs, which is actually nearly an inch taller than I thought he was. The problem is that his arms measured in at only 30-1/2 inches long. Several teams will drop him from the 1st to the 2nd, or even from the 2nd to the 3rd because of it. With that said, all it takes is one team to draft him based upon his performance instead of his measurables, so I really don't know where he'll go now.

_________________
Image


January 25th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I'm scared of how he'll transition. The guy was a stud on college and by production should get drafted in the first. But I still feel like he won't be able to translate that success to the NFL.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 25th, 2010, 8:34 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.