View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Possibilities of trading the 1st round pick 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Possibilities of trading the 1st round pick
You know this is going to come up because it does EVERY year, so I thought I'd get a head start on it. I was thinking of this the other day and realized that the Lions may have their best chance of trading down in years. The reason is because of the number of QBs who may have first round grades and the number of teams that could be looking for new QBs. Since the Lions took Stafford last year, that isn't even an option for them.

I certainly don't agree about some of these QBs, but ones that I've seen listed as potential 1st round picks include: Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, and Jevan Snead. Teams that have been listed as possibly drafting a QB include: St. Louis, Cleveland, Washington, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Denver, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, and Carolina (no 1st round pick).

I know that it's too early and the draft order will change considerably by the end of the season, but the possibilities are endless. The scenario I'm looking at is the Lions drafting just ahead of two teams needing a QB. Both of those teams may want to deal to secure the player of their choice or a 3rd team even further back may want to jump ahead of them. What do you guys think?

October 15th, 2009, 9:40 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I think its a good year to trade down. Depending on where we end up (could be anywhere from 9-20 depending on how we do after the bye). Question is, do they stockpile picks and hope they can be geniuses again in the draft, or do they take players along with lesser picks to fill needs.

Carolina immediately jumps to mind, because they franchised Peppers and can again, they've got both good RB's, and they have Steve Smith. If Fox is fired, do they try to rebuild? Imagine Smith paired with CJ? Imagine a Deangelo Williams or Jonathon Stewart paired with Kevin Smith. We'd have to get something in return since they don't have a first. And I wouldn't want to give up any picks in return.

It might be a good chance to slide down, pick up a later pick and fill a need at LT or CB with a young veteran talent.

I'll tell you one thing... I'm anxious to see what happens before tuesday as far as trades, and I'll definitely be waiting after the season to see how the draft plays out. We have to see if this year was just a fluke, or if we really have a smart scouting system that was just ignored for years by Millen.

October 15th, 2009, 10:56 am
National Champion

I actually think it's quite the opposite.

I think that the Lions would love to trade down, but I think that this will be a tough year to do it. Due to all of the CBA craziness that is going to go down, this will likely be a very talent-rich draft. Teams will be pretty happy to stay where they are because they will still be able to get a good player, and they will be reluctant to give up mid-round picks because they know that there will be some talented redshirt sophomore there who would not have declared for the draft in a normal year.

October 15th, 2009, 10:32 pm

S&C, I completely understand where you're coming from and you could be right. However, if there's one position that teams would be willing to give up picks for in a loaded draft, it's QB. On top of that, I'm not really sold on a lot of those guys I mentioned and I think many teams will feel the same way. They'll want to get "their guy" who fits their system and may be willing to trade up to get him. Atleast that's what I'm hoping for since having extra picks in this draft would be a very good thing.

October 16th, 2009, 12:53 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

ok since we SEEM to be heading in the right direction and if this is indeed a tallent filled draft...would it be a good idea to sell off some of next years draft for this one? try and sell away next years 1st and 3rd to upgrade this offseason?

In some other threads is seems the concensus is that we only have 4-5 holes left on the team (as apposed to the whole dang team!). It would seem a decent choice ( i was going to use the word logical...but that word has been tainted latley) to try and fill 3-4 of those this year as apposed to 2-3 this year and 2-3 next year.

Thoughts?

October 16th, 2009, 8:17 am
RIP Killer

Clausen, Pike and Snead won't be first round prospects in this coming draft. Of those three, I think Pike may go the highest...probably late round two. Snead's stock has really taken a hit this year, and I project him as late round two or mid round three. Clausen is mid three, at best.

October 16th, 2009, 8:39 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I'll laugh if any team takes Tebow in the first round.

October 16th, 2009, 9:06 am
RIP Killer

I'll laugh if any team takes Tebow in the first round.

I'm with you on that....but I have a feeling someone will. It wouldn't shock me at all if Oakland takes a flyer on him.

October 16th, 2009, 9:08 am
Walk On

Clausen, Pike and Snead won't be first round prospects in this coming draft. Of those three, I think Pike may go the highest...probably late round two. Snead's stock has really taken a hit this year, and I project him as late round two or mid round three. Clausen is mid three, at best.

I don't Know about Clausen I am thinking he is at this rate going to be a mid to late first round QB.

The Problem is also that (and this is something we won't really know till draft time) but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of QB talent in the 2011 draft. If a team finds a QB they like they might make a move just because 2011 could be real barren, I don't think teams are going to be willing to sit through 2 season's just to get a QB with the knowledge that's its another 2 years minimum before the QB could play to his potential.

Also if we are drafting at #7 or later its prime trading property. The cost is so much lower then the proceeding picks people can draft QB's that they could even cut later if its not working out.

October 16th, 2009, 9:16 am

M2K, I never said that all seven of those guys would be 1st round picks, just that they have been mentioned on various sites as possibilities. I've even seen Ryan Mallett listed recently. Personally, I believe that Bradford, Locker, and Clausen will be, but some teams may take a chance on McCoy or Tebow early, as well.

What I'm getting at is this: Let's say the Rams take Bradford and the Browns select Locker in the top 5. The Lions pick 7 or so, with the Redskins at 8 and the 49ers (from Carolina) at 9. Teams like the Jaguars or Broncos may want to trade up to get Clausen (or whichever QB they covet) before one of those two other teams nab him. Just pure speculation on my part, but I think it's a possibility.

October 16th, 2009, 12:30 pm
RIP Killer

I think we may be in a very good position if some of these do not fall to far down. This could be another real big year for QB's as many look like in any other year they would be top 5 if not #1 overall QB's. I'm with Sly on this one, if any year we got the chance, this could be it. Move back a couple spots and gain another 2nd or next years 1st kinda trade.

October 16th, 2009, 1:46 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Although I am a Gerald McCoy fan but unfortunatly I doubt he is what we are looking for. Suh and Oghobaase are the most likely canidates to fill our needs next to Hill.

That being said Suh could be out of our reach and Oghobaase would be there in the second probably. The only canidate I see left that high would be Eric Berry or Charles Brown IMO. If we could slide down later in the first there are many more potential prospects for us. I think Brandon Graham would be great pick up late in the 1st. Another option would be on of the high rated CBs (although this class seems pretty weak).

October 16th, 2009, 3:04 pm
National Champion

S&C, I completely understand where you're coming from and you could be right. However, if there's one position that teams would be willing to give up picks for in a loaded draft, it's QB. On top of that, I'm not really sold on a lot of those guys I mentioned and I think many teams will feel the same way. They'll want to get "their guy" who fits their system and may be willing to trade up to get him. Atleast that's what I'm hoping for since having extra picks in this draft would be a very good thing.

Slybri, I absolutely hope you're right, and I honestly would not be shocked if that's the case. The thing about a talent-loaded draft at a position is that sometimes you have teams that "fall in love" and sometimes you have teams that are smart and say "we could live with both guys."

Has there ever been a quarterback class that is as hard to suss out as the 2010 class? You have guys like McCoy and Tebow--are those guys franchise QB's or are they Tim Couch types? The smart money is on Tebow as a system guy, but some folks seem to be split on McCoy. Snead looked like an NFL prospect last year to many, but this year he's falling back to earth. I went on record last year saying that this guy was a poor man's Matt Stafford, and M2K is absolutely right that he is going to take a Kyle Orton-like slide if he comes out. My bet he stays in school and tries to do damage control as a senior. This is not to mention guys like Bradford, Pike, and Locker who all have their own warts but have tantalizing upside.

October 16th, 2009, 11:21 pm
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Possibilities of trading the 1st round pick
slybri19 wrote:
You know this is going to come up because it does EVERY year, so I thought I'd get a head start on it. I was thinking of this the other day and realized that the Lions may have their best chance of trading down in years. The reason is because of the number of QBs who may have first round grades and the number of teams that could be looking for new QBs. Since the Lions took Stafford last year, that isn't even an option for them.

I certainly don't agree about some of these QBs, but ones that I've seen listed as potential 1st round picks include: Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, and Jevan Snead. Teams that have been listed as possibly drafting a QB include: St. Louis, Cleveland, Washington, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Denver, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, and Carolina (no 1st round pick).

I know that it's too early and the draft order will change considerably by the end of the season, but the possibilities are endless. The scenario I'm looking at is the Lions drafting just ahead of two teams needing a QB. Both of those teams may want to deal to secure the player of their choice or a 3rd team even further back may want to jump ahead of them. What do you guys think?

I already beat you to this idea in the Lions draft order thread.

Quote:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
If that order holds as is, we may be in prime position to get a kings ransom to trade our pick.

Campbell, Romo, and Shaub are all in their make or break years. If they break, The Redskins, Cowboys, and Texans will all be looking to draft a QB.

And so far, Cowboy Fans are spitting nails at Romo.
Same with Redskin fans at Campbell.
And once again, Shaub proves he can't stay healthy.

Only problem is that RAMS, BROWNS, PANTHERS, SEAHAWKS might all be looking at QB also. And there are only 3 QB's considered to be franchise caliber at the moment. But, there is usually a Josh Freeman that somehow bluffs his way into the top 15 picks.

October 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I already beat you to this idea in the Lions draft order thread.

I guess that's what I get for skipping over your posts and refusing to read them. :lol: just kidding (most of the time) :wink:

October 17th, 2009, 9:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next