View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 So? Who will the Pistons draft? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post So? Who will the Pistons draft?
I really have no clue, but it does seem the draft is deep and we will get a guy who might contribute next season. I would be guessing the player will be quick or a scorer, hopefully both. I would love to have that Nate Robinson?

June 28th, 2005, 11:41 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Here is a good article about prospective players the Piston's are looking at w/ the 26th pick.

Quote:
BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Basketball fans in Michigan are familiar with at least one player the Pistons might pick tonight in the first round of the NBA draft -- Alan Anderson.

The former Michigan State swingman played so well in the Chicago pre-draft camp that many in the Pistons' organization thought he would have been the MVP had the camp given out such an award.

"He's attractive from the standpoint that he could play multiple positions," said Joe Dumars, the team's president of basketball operations. "He has helped himself a lot in the postseason.

"We had him here, and he did great in our workouts. From what I hear across the league, he's someone people are looking at as a late first-round pick."

Anderson, 6-feet-6, averaged 13.2 points a game last season and ranks third all-time at MSU in free-throw percentage (83.1).

The Pistons have the 26th pick in the first round. Here are other players they might consider:

? Nate Robinson, a powerful 5-9 guard from Washington who plays bigger than his listed height.

? Jarrett Jack, a 6-3 guard from Georgia Tech who played well in big games. He's a physical clone of Chauncey Billups.

? Jason Maxiell, a 6-7 undersized power forward with long arms and a spirited attitude from Cincinnati.

? C.J. Miles, a smooth 6-6 small forward/shooting guard from Skyline High in Dallas.

? Randolph Morris, a sturdy 6-10, 266-pound traditional center from Kentucky.

? Kennedy Winston, a 6-6 smooth shooting guard from Alabama who's a longshot because of his defensive shortcomings.

? Ryan Gomes of Providence, a 6-7, 250-pound forward who is the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,138 points.

If the Pistons decide to go young, the pick could be 18-year-old Louis Williams, a 6-2 guard from South Gwinnett High in Snellville, Ga., or Turkish forward Ersan Ilyasova, who turned 18 in May.

Dumars said this season's draft has depth.

"I don't know if you're going to have, quote-unquote, a large amount of superstars in this draft," Dumars said, "but I do think you're going to have a lot of good players coming out of this draft.

"I believe this draft can go into the middle of the second round, and you can still get a nice player on your team. From that standpoint, these are the drafts that are more appealing to you because of the depth.

"Some drafts you can get a lot of star power, but it's all at the top of the draft. A draft like this becomes more appealing because you can really work some things."

The Pistons expect to have all five starters back next season, plus top reserves Antonio McDyess and Lindsey Hunter, which means they don't have to concentrate on one position.

"Having really good players at each position puts you in a situation where we want to add a good player, irregardless of what position he's at," Dumars said. "We're in that position where we can take the best player. A lot of times that's a clich? that teams give you, but we actually are.

"We have a starting five and a couple of good players off the bench and a couple of nice young players that we really still like a whole lot, so for me, that's why I like this draft."

NOTEBOOK: Dumars said that he would talk to backup forward Darvin Ham about possibly returning for another season once the summer league and free-agent signing period start. ... Rickey Paulding, Carlos Delfino, Darko Milicic and Andreas Glyniadakis are expected to play in the team's summer league.

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 or farrell@freepress.com.

Tim

June 28th, 2005, 12:03 pm
RIP Killer

"We had him here, and he did great in our workouts. From what I hear across the league, he's someone people are looking at as a late first-round pick."

I'm SICK of hearing about how people do in workouts. We don't need another Darko. So what, the guy plays stellar in practice. They need to take a player who's proven, a guy who has proven he can SCORE and be a solid defender; not another unproven potential star.

Quote:
Ryan Gomes of Providence, a 6-7, 250-pound forward who is the school's all-time leading scorer with 2,138 points.

That's a guy I would love to see on the Stones, IF they look at a HS player, which I kind of hope they don't. But they need a proven scorer to come off the bench.

Quote:
The Pistons expect to have all five starters back next season, plus top reserves Antonio McDyess and Lindsey Hunter, which means they don't have to concentrate on one position.

I thought that Hunter wasn't gauranteed to be coming back. I know he would like to stay because Detroit is home, but it's not a gaurantee.

June 28th, 2005, 12:37 pm
Site Admin

What we really need is a slasher. A guy that can cut to the hoop hard...we too often settle for outside shoots and there are nights that we cannot hit em. Rip, Chauncy, Tay really need to learn to be more agreesive to the basket...I am not saying they need to change their game entirely but we need to at least pose a slashing threat to keep defences honest.

I would prefer a 3 who can play the 2 as well. If Tay goes down or doesn't play well we really have no backup other than to play extremely small.

June 28th, 2005, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

I'm SICK of hearing about how people do in workouts. We don't need another Darko. So what, the guy plays stellar in practice. They need to take a player who's proven, a guy who has proven he can SCORE and be a solid defender; not another unproven potential star.

The thing with Alan Anderson is that Dumars really likes him. He considers him a 'Piston's type guy'. Meaning he is unselfish and doesn't mind playing 'D' and doing the little things.

Quote:
I thought that Hunter wasn't gauranteed to be coming back. I know he would like to stay because Detroit is home, but it's not a gaurantee.

Hunter still has 1 year left on his contract. He has stated he will be back for one more seaon.

Quote:
What we really need is a slasher. A guy that can cut to the hoop hard...we too often settle for outside shoots and there are nights that we cannot hit em. Rip, Chauncy, Tay really need to learn to be more agreesive to the basket...I am not saying they need to change their game entirely but we need to at least pose a slashing threat to keep defences honest.

I would prefer a 3 who can play the 2 as well.

I agree with this as well. There are 2 players who fit that mold who could be available when our pick comes around....

....Francisco Garcia, 6-7 forward, Louisville. He might not make it to 26, but he reminds people of Tayshaun Prince.

He is long and diversely skilled. He can dribble like a guard, has decent range on his jumper, and rebounds and blocks shots like a forward.

He also has some international experience (playing for the Dominican Republic in the 2003 Pan Am Games).

... C.J. Miles, 6-6 point forward, Skyline High School, Dallas. He has NBA-level ball-handling skills, which is intriguing in a player who is 6-6. But his body is still underdeveloped for the rigors of the NBA.

He would be at least a year away from threatening to crack the rotation, but his potential would be hard to pass up late in the first round.

The 2nd player concerns me because he is a high school prospect, but with the new minor league system, we could bring him along slowly his 1st year.

Tim

June 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think as mentioned previously that Francisco Garcia could be a good backup to Tayshaun in case he gets injured having an off night, etc.

IF he's avail I'd like for us to grab him up.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 28th, 2005, 4:54 pm

I think as mentioned previously that Francisco Garcia could be a good backup to Tayshaun in case he gets injured having an off night, etc.

I know that if he does fall that far, Dumars would not hesitate to grab him. Although I don't see him getting past the 20th pick.

Tim

June 28th, 2005, 5:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:

I know that if he does fall that far, Dumars would not hesitate to grab him. Although I don't see him getting past the 20th pick.

Yeah, me neither.. but here's to wishful thinking.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 28th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Manu dropped to the second to last pick in the second round. We have two second round picks. Therefore, we will more titles.

Is there any problem with this syllogism? :lol:

June 28th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Modmin Dude

Did they get someone that can shoot the 3??? We really need someone that can hit the 3s when they are needed. I know we like to play Defense, but we need a scorer.

June 29th, 2005, 9:04 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm excited that we got this Maxiel kid; He's exactly like big nasty (Corliss Williamson) and we desperately missed him last year... Now the only player we have to get is a guy like Mike James or Bruce Bowen. (A guy who plays tenacious D; but also shoots the three) Lindsay Hunter was suppose to be that kind of guy; he just couldn't play offense...

Our roster should look like this next year:

Note: I see Lindsey reitiring
*-denotes IR

Chauncey Billups
Rip Hamilton
Tayshaun Prince
Rasheed Wallace
Ben Wallace

Antonio McDyess
Carlos Delfino
Carlos Arroyo
A guy like Mike James or Bruce Bowen
Jason Maxiel
Ronald Dupree
Darko Millicic
*Darvin Ham
*Elden Campbell

Or in wishful thinking we can sign Michael Finley instead of a guy like Mike James or Bruce Bowen; or we can get Mike James or Bruce Bowen...

Michael Huff for DROY

June 29th, 2005, 10:51 am
Profile WWW

Note: I see Lindsey reitiring

Lindsey still has a year left on his contract and has said he is going to play next year.

Quote:
Or in wishful thinking we can sign Michael Finley

That would be an intriguing pickup if he gets cut. I'm not too sure how Mike's ego could handle coming off the bench though. And he would have to take the veteran minimum.

Tim

June 29th, 2005, 11:13 am

Nothing too exciting. You were hoping someone might drop in a deep draft. That did not happen. These guys all figured to be available where they were picked. They might turn out to be good pros, but they all need significant development to help the pistons. In comparison some teams walked away with gold. If we had been picking say 16th and 46th we could have walked away with two legitimate bench guys. At 26th and 56th we missed out on the polished guys and the sleepers.

June 29th, 2005, 11:23 am
RIP Killer

Finley will get cut by the Mavs, bank on it. They stand too much to lose with the $ for $ matching of the luxury tax. Finley will get his current contracts money and then pick up about $5M/yr in a mid-level exemption on top of that. It is a win-win for the Mavs and Finley. He was expected to be moved to the bench this season if he were to stay in Dallas anyway. The Stones would be an interesting choice, I think the leading candidates would be the Suns (reteam with Nash), San Antonio (stay in Texas) or Chicago (his hometown).

June 29th, 2005, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]