View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fire DickRod right now! 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
Quote:
What logical arguments are you referring to?


You made untrue/misleading statements like that Rod drove away Mallet or that he ran a great program into the ground. I countered, and you simply ignored the counter arguments and dismissed me as a "Michigan slappy".

Quote:
Other than the years that he had Pat White, he was barely a .500 coach.


Yeah...no.

He was the OC at Tulane and Clemson prior to being the HC at WVU. While at Tulane and Clemson, their football teams had great seasons and great offensives.

Then, in 2002, he took over WVU. He went 9-4, 8-5, and 8-4 all before getting Pat White in 2005. After the addition of Pat White, the program became elite.

Quote:
He doesn't call plays well. He doesn't motivate players well. He doesn't manage time or the game well. He doesn't make adjustments well. He doesn't put his players in a position to suceed well. He doesn't coach up the players to where they improve well. He doesn't improve the program's image well. He doesn't recruit well. he doesn't adapt to player strengths well.


Most of these statements are highly subjective and not worth arguing.

Yet, I don't know how you can say he doesn't recruit well. Two top 10 recruiting classes isn't recruiting well? Really? What are your standards?

And, answer me this: do you think defense, which is basically devoid of talent, would be any better in a different scheme? Look at the Lions--ditch the T2, no difference. Scheme only matters so much.


November 16th, 2009, 12:58 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
I know that Mallett was a headcase, but saying that he would have transferred regardless of who the coach was is conjecture. He came to Michigan because of the pro style offense in hopes that it would further his goal of reaching the NFL. Once RichRod was hired, there was no reason for him to remain there since he didn't fit the system and it wouldn't further his ultimate goal. If you have proof otherwise, please post it or PM me.

It's nice that you left out his initial 3-8 season at UWV in your post. The truth is that his record is currently 113-77-2 as a head coach. Take away the 32-5 record with Pat White and it's 81-72-2. That sure looks like an elite coach to me.

As for recruiting, Michigan recruits itself regardless of the coach. Rivals says that RichRod was 8th and 10th, while Scouts says 6th and 14th over the past two years. The upcoming class is ranked 14th and 19th by both services. MY problem is with which positions he is recruiting. Out of the current 20 commits, 2 are QBs, 3 are RBs, and 5 are WRs. Those are the least of their concerns at the moment. He ought to concentrate on the defense and the OL instead, but then, he wouldn't be able to use the lack of talent on defense as an excuse anymore.

Blueskies, I like you dude, but open your eyes. This is Millen Part II. He's ignoring the defense in order to get the players to run his offensive "system". This will not end well. Furthermore, teams don't use the spread option in the Big Ten for a reason - it simply won't work. It works in the Big East, ACC, and most any other conference you can name, but it won't work here. Size wins.

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but have you come up with one thing he does well yet? I hated Lloyd Carr (because he was too conservative and didn't have a killer instinct), but atleast his guys played hard, he kept up a good image for the program, and he won most of the time. Can RichRod say any of those things? What makes him so great that he should stay?

As I stated previously, this is Millen part II. RichRod doesn't have a single redeeming quality which would lead a sane individual to think that he was a good coach. One could say that his offensive system is great, but is it viable in the Big Ten? I think not. A good coach would adjust and/or adapt, but not RichRod. How much longer must we endure this madness?

Unfortunately, it appears that RichRod will get another year. I just wonder if Blueskies (and other RichRod supporters) will finally admit that they were wrong once that idiot doesn't make a bowl game for a third consecutive year? Will it be time to get rid of him then after he recruited a ton of offensive players that fit his system? That will only put them a year further behind for the next head coach. Just stop this madness now please.

_________________
Image


November 16th, 2009, 2:45 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Blueskies, I forgot to add earlier a question that I had for you. Do you see the primary problem with the Wolverines being the offense or the defense? If it's the offense, could it be that the QB has no time to throw and the RB has no holes to run through because of the OL? If it's the defense, wouldn't you expect a concerted effort by the head coach to address the situation? This doesn't explain why he's recruiting QBs, RBs, and WRs. Please explain and PM me if neccessary. The one trick pony has found himself in a situation that he can't adapt to and it's only going to get worse from here.

_________________
Image


November 16th, 2009, 3:05 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
Quote:
I know that Mallett was a headcase, but saying that he would have transferred regardless of who the coach was is conjecture. He came to Michigan because of the pro style offense in hopes that it would further his goal of reaching the NFL. Once RichRod was hired, there was no reason for him to remain there since he didn't fit the system and it wouldn't further his ultimate goal. If you have proof otherwise, please post it or PM me.


I have a friend thats a HS school scout for the football program. I have another whos a trainer. They both told me that Mallet was a completely arrogant douche from day one and that, halfway through the 07' season, Carr threw the transfer papers at him and told him to leave.

You can chose not to believe me if you want. But I'm telling you--the odds of Mallet having stayed even with a pro-style offense were slim. I really hope the guy has matured at Arkansas, otherwise I'll feel bad for whatever NFL team drafts him.

Quote:
The truth is that his record is currently 113-77-2 as a head coach.


That number is somewhat misleading because it includes the current rebuilding project and his tenure as head coach of Salem--a school which doesn't even have a football program anymore.

Regardless, I know that he took a WVU football program that has never been highly regarded and, with recruiting classes most scoffed at (his only highly reguraded recruit was Noel Devine) competed for the national title every year.

Quote:
Furthermore, teams don't use the spread option in the Big Ten for a reason - it simply won't work.


Alright--this is ridiculous. I can understand saying that the 3-3-5 is destined to failure, but the spread option? Have you been watching college football for the last 5 years?

Did you see Texas with Vince Young destroy Michigan? Oregon with Dennis Dixon? Illinois emerge from nowhere the previous two seasons? Florida's crushing of OSU in the BCSNC?

Outside of the Iowa game, Michigan's offense has been fine, especially considering that virtually every starter is an underclassmen.

Quote:
I just wonder if Blueskies (and other RichRod supporters) will finally admit that they were wrong once that idiot doesn't make a bowl game for a third consecutive year?


My bar is simple: 8-wins next year. If he falls below that, then I will admit that I was wrong and support the movement to get him fired.


November 16th, 2009, 3:29 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
Blueskies, I forgot to add earlier a question that I had for you. Do you see the primary problem with the Wolverines being the offense or the defense? If it's the offense, could it be that the QB has no time to throw and the RB has no holes to run through because of the OL? If it's the defense, wouldn't you expect a concerted effort by the head coach to address the situation? This doesn't explain why he's recruiting QBs, RBs, and WRs. Please explain and PM me if neccessary. The one trick pony has found himself in a situation that he can't adapt to and it's only going to get worse from here.


I would say the problem is primarily defense.

The offense has, at times, stalled this year, but I would attribute that to inexperience.

The recruiting season isn't over. Hopefully they seek out more defensive talent, but I agree, the lack of focus is a bit troubling--though its not nearly as bad as you say. Of the current crop of 20 commits, 7 are defensive players. They have four 4star recruits, two of which are defensive players.

Further, I'm not surprised by it--RichRod is the Mike Martz of college football. He wants his offense finished first, and when it is in place, it should be powerful enough to compensate for a weak defense.


November 16th, 2009, 3:36 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
Blueskies wrote:

Regardless, I know that he took a WVU football program that has never been highly regarded and, with recruiting classes most scoffed at (his only highly reguraded recruit was Noel Devine) competed for the national title every year.



While there were several good years at WVU, they only competed for a national title once.

And for the record, WVU's recruiting has improved since Rodriguez left. Still having some trouble finding defensive players but across the board WVU is recruiting better now than it ever did with Rodriguez. Last year, WVU even got the QB (Eugene Smith) and RB (Tavon Austin) that UM wanted.


November 16th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
mwill2 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Regardless, I know that he took a WVU football program that has never been highly regarded and, with recruiting classes most scoffed at (his only highly reguraded recruit was Noel Devine) competed for the national title every year.



While there were several good years at WVU, they only competed for a national title once.

And for the record, WVU's recruiting has improved since Rodriguez left. Still having some trouble finding defensive players but across the board WVU is recruiting better now than it ever did with Rodriguez. Last year, WVU even got the QB (Eugene Smith) and RB (Tavon Austin) that UM wanted.


They had three seasons in a row in which they went 11-1, 11-2, and 11-2. I would consider records like that "competing for the national title" because they were close enough that if things had turned out slightly different--they would've ended up in the title game.

As for them recruiting better now...maybe its because RichRod put them on the map? Who even heard of WVU football until he got there?


November 16th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
Blueskies wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Regardless, I know that he took a WVU football program that has never been highly regarded and, with recruiting classes most scoffed at (his only highly reguraded recruit was Noel Devine) competed for the national title every year.



While there were several good years at WVU, they only competed for a national title once.

And for the record, WVU's recruiting has improved since Rodriguez left. Still having some trouble finding defensive players but across the board WVU is recruiting better now than it ever did with Rodriguez. Last year, WVU even got the QB (Eugene Smith) and RB (Tavon Austin) that UM wanted.


They had three seasons in a row in which they went 11-1, 11-2, and 11-2. I would consider records like that "competing for the national title" because they were close enough that if things had turned out slightly different--they would've ended up in the title game.

As for them recruiting better now...maybe its because RichRod put them on the map? Who even heard of WVU football until he got there?


Do you know what those three seasons had in common? Pat White. Rodriguez has never had that kind of success without White. Rodriguez is 32-5 with White, just above .500 without him. Call it a coincidence if you like, but I'm of the opinion that he caught lightning in a bottle with White.

Before White, WVU was hovering around 8-4 every year, which is what they are doing now without White and Rodriguez.

And just to be clear, you are suggesting that when a team loses an iconic coach and replaces him with a nobody assistant, it is perfectly natural for recruiting to improve? And that the iconic coach--going to a school with a stellar reputation--would be unable to sway their top QB and RB choices from nobody coach at previous institution? Do I have that right?


November 16th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3635
Location: Davison Mi
Post 
hey I've been a hater since last year. 1/2 of you guys lambasted me for it!


There are no excuses for failure when doaning the Maze and Blue winged helmet. period!


November 16th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
If he doesn't win SAT I would not be surprised to see him out of here and I'd be ok with that... You just don't go 2 seasons in a row without making a bowl game here...

If they keep him, I'd be ok with that too... Anything less than 8 wins and I'll officially be done with the guy...

That said, I really don't think that the team was left to him as bad as what some say... They had top 10 recruiting classes before then too... In fact the year that they lost to App St (Only because Henne got hurt by the way - Oregon as well) they drilled UF in the gator bowl...

They lost a lot of guys that year granted, but how many guys left town after RichRod got here before the season even started? We've got our own guys reporting them for supposed violations... Nobody seems to like the guy...


November 19th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
Here's what I heard earlier:

RichRod has a clause in his contract that says that if he's fired, he's due the full value of his contract. Something like $14M.

So he won't be getting fired anytime soon.


November 21st, 2009, 5:28 am
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3635
Location: Davison Mi
Post 
we could always shoot him!

Or go all Tonya Hartings on his anus

Can anyone say carbomb?

drug him and ship him to afganastan....wait bad Idea....he'll join the war effort and screw that all up too.

do they do burning crosses in front yards anymore?

we could plant crack on him (ala Trading places)..course we may not need to plant any, the way he coaches

would could send him on Vacation to columbus..let them Ohio State Fans be usefull for once.

or perhaps Viginia would be a better idea

maybe we could convince some south american kidnappers to take care of this little problem?

any one know anyone named "Fat Tony"?

just a few suggestions :wink:


November 21st, 2009, 11:08 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
If DickRod is found guilty of NCAA violations, he could be fired "with cause" and they wouldn't owe him another cent.

_________________
Image


November 21st, 2009, 1:01 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
If DickRod is found guilty of NCAA violations, he could be fired "with cause" and they wouldn't owe him another cent.


That is true.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 21st, 2009, 3:20 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7126
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
steensn wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
If DickRod is found guilty of NCAA violations, he could be fired "with cause" and they wouldn't owe him another cent.


That is true.


But, that would give Michigan Football a black eye.


November 21st, 2009, 4:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.