View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 DE Derrick Morgan 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post DE Derrick Morgan
He's a 6'4" 272 lbs DE from Georgia Tech. I remember watching the highly-overrated Michael Johnson last year and saying, the "other" DE is better than he is. Anyways, I've watched parts of his last two games and have come away extremely impressed. He recorded his 7th sack of the year tonight and is constantly in the backfield harrassing the QB. He has size, strength, and speed, and lines up at both RDE and LDE. I know there hasn't been much hype about this guy yet, but there will be. He's clearly the best DE I"ve seen this year and will be flying up the draft boards. I have no doubt that he will be a 1st round pick, but I just wonder how high will he go? Just keep an eye on him because he could end up as a top 10 or top 15 pick when all is said and done.

October 17th, 2009, 10:26 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

He has allot of potential. He just needs to develop pass rush moves becuase he only knows how to bull rush.

October 17th, 2009, 10:52 pm

I agree that he needs to improve his technique, but he isn't strictly limited to the bull rush. He uses his speed to get around the OT and I even saw him use a club move to get inside. The best part is that he never quits on a play and will use both speed and strength in an effort to get to the QB or the ball carrier.

October 17th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Team MVP

He has 12.5 sacks for -81 yards so far this year.

That is pretty dang good!

Ill jump on the band wagon.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 28th, 2009, 12:47 am

I almost forgot that I started this thread over a month ago. I also first mentioned him in another thread back in September, so I've been promoting this guy longer than anyone here. :D

I should add that I haven't been this high on a DE coming out of college since Julius Peppers. Of course, I really didn't see much of Mario Williams in his final season, so it might have been different if I had. Everyone just needs to watch the Georgia-Georgia Tech game tonight and see for yourselves. Derrick Morgan is a beast.

November 28th, 2009, 2:05 pm
Team MVP

Ya id like to watch the game but I have to work midnights tonight, im pissed. If we cant Suh, im all for trading down and try getting this guy. Im not sold on any of our D-lineman except for Hill.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

November 28th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Morgan didn't have his best game last night, but it's kinda hard to get sacks if the other team hardly ever throws the ball. He did, however, have a forced fumble and a couple of QB hits. Maybe he'll light it up in the bowl game like he did earlier in the season. You have to see this guy when he's at the top of his game.

November 29th, 2009, 11:36 am
RIP Killer

Morgan didn't have his best game last night, but it's kinda hard to get sacks if the other team hardly ever throws the ball. He did, however, have a forced fumble and a couple of QB hits. Maybe he'll light it up in the bowl game like he did earlier in the season. You have to see this guy when he's at the top of his game.

It also didn't help that they were running away from him most of the night.

I agree that Morgan didn't have his best game. For whatever reason, he kept trying to go outside his man to get to the QB, and was ridden past him a number of times. Morgan has good speed and a great motor, but he needs to start working on inside pass rush moves. He was very predictable last night.

November 29th, 2009, 3:03 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't see where Morgan is all that impressive... He looks like a Tamba Hali type player to me... A good player, but not a top 10 player IMO...

November 30th, 2009, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see where Morgan is all that impressive... He looks like a Tamba Hali type player to me... A good player, but not a top 10 player IMO...

How many games of his have you watched? If it was just the GTech verse UG game, then we've already said that it wasn't his best. If it was a number of games, you may not have been watching him individually.

The fact that a once unknown is now being looked at as a top 20, or even top 10 pick by many draft analysts is an indication of how good he's been. This isn't a meteoric rise AFTER the season, like that of Jason Smith last year. This is more of a Brian Orakpo rise, where he was getting noticed during the season, and then his workouts escalated him some more. Morgan's work out numbers will be very good, I suspect.

To me, thus far, he's been the best DE in college football.

November 30th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I've watched a lot of his games... I've seen the Clemson game, the UVA game, the GA game, the Miami game, the FSU game and the Va Tech game...

He hasn't impressed me... He's pretty good against the run, but I don't see where he has the first step that is needed to be a top pick... A lot of his sacks are effort sacks they come after the QB holds onto the ball too long... That isn't going to happen as much in the NFL... I haven't really seen him blow any OTs up and really beat them.... At least not consistently...

Another guy I see as being comparable is Jamaal Anderson except Anderson has better measurables...

If Greg Hardy weren't so injury prone, he'd be far and away the best DE in this draft....

November 30th, 2009, 11:14 pm
Team MVP

Better measurables? Who is this, Mike Mayock?

December 1st, 2009, 4:10 pm

Doesn't have a good first step? I stopped reading right there. :roll:

December 1st, 2009, 4:50 pm
RIP Killer

Doesn't have a good first step? I stopped reading right there. :roll:

Yeah, me too.

December 1st, 2009, 8:00 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I get it he's "your find"... Good job... IMO he lacks the first step necessary to be an elite pass rusher (which is what we need)... It is manifested in many of his sacks being coverage sacks... This is a fact... Go watch the tape...

Marinelli was an awful head coach, but he knows dlineman and he had a good way of evaluating pass rushing defensive ends... Everything after the 5th step would be thrown out... If you apply it to Morgan he isn't very effective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRco9Y3Xhwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhzV7_T-op8

Those are typical Morgan sacks...

What do I know though? I don't agree with you so clearly I don't know what I'm talking about... :roll:

December 2nd, 2009, 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next