View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Mike Iupati 
Team MVP

Post Mike Iupati
As most people know, OG (LG) is one of our big needs. If you havent already, check out Mike Iupati, an OG out of Idaho. Hes 6'6" 330lbs and strong. Id love for the Lions to get Gerald McCoy or Derrick Morgan in the first round, but if we could get Iupati in the second, id be more than thrilled, and im sure Stafford would be too.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 2nd, 2009, 11:54 pm
No offense, but i think we could get a good guard in the 3rd round, and possibly even Iupati.

OG's that I also like are:
Mike Johnson - 'Bama
Jon Asamoah - Ill.
Mitch Petrus - Ark.

I'd rather not wait until the 2nd tier of OG's to take one. If we don't get a starting caliber LT in this draft, I think a starting caliber OG is a must.

December 3rd, 2009, 1:26 am
Team MVP

If we don't get a starting caliber LT in this draft, I think a starting caliber OG is a must.

I definetly agree.

Our defense is rediculous, but we cant just ignore the offense, especially the O-line. I mean, our offense isnt that great either.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

December 3rd, 2009, 1:48 am
RIP Killer

Iupati is likely going to be gone in the late first round. He is this year's Alex Mack. I see him being taken somewhere in the 18-23 range of the first round.

Still, there will be other players we can take in the second or third rounds that will fulfill the need along the o-line. Many times teams will select a mid-range tackle and use them at guard. I would like the Lions to do the same.

December 3rd, 2009, 10:59 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Iupati is likely going to be gone in the late first round. He is this year's Alex Mack. I see him being taken somewhere in the 18-23 range of the first round.

Still, there will be other players we can take in the second or third rounds that will fulfill the need along the o-line. Many times teams will select a mid-range tackle and use them at guard. I would like the Lions to do the same.
Any mid round tackle in mind?

December 3rd, 2009, 12:03 pm
RIP Killer

If Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin declares, he could fall to round three and be a nice pickup to start at guard. 6'7" and 330 lbs....could increase his weight still. But he's athletic and currently plays tackle for them.

December 3rd, 2009, 2:47 pm

If Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin declares, he could fall to round three and be a nice pickup to start at guard. 6'7" and 330 lbs....could increase his weight still. But he's athletic and currently plays tackle for them.
I think Carimi will stay in school personally. However if he does declare and is available at our 3rd we better not pass him up.

Personally I am a Mike Johnson fan.

December 3rd, 2009, 2:57 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
I think Carimi will stay in school personally. However if he does declare and is available at our 3rd we better not pass him up.

I like him too, but he's already playing guard. I was talking about players that are currently lined up as a tackle, but would probably play guard in the NFL.

December 3rd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Stallion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I like him too, but he's already playing guard. I was talking about players that are currently lined up as a tackle, but would probably play guard in the NFL.

I know he is playing guard I was just stating that I liked him.

December 3rd, 2009, 4:48 pm
RIP Killer

Nice of you to make that statement publicly....and embrace the "alternative" lifestyle you've been looking for.... :)

December 3rd, 2009, 4:55 pm

Stallion wrote:

Nice of you to make that statement publicly....and embrace the "alternative" lifestyle you've been looking for.... :)

I think selecting a guard in the 3rd would be considered alternative....oh...oh...I see what you getting at lol

December 3rd, 2009, 5:27 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've heard a lot of great things about Mike Iupati, but Idaho isn't exactly at the top of my college football viewing schedule. Therefore, I've never seen the guy play and have to rely upon what I've heard. One analyst has even said that Iupati is the best OG prospect since Steve Hutchinson. I have no idea if that is true, but if it is, he'll never even come close to the 2nd round. If he does happen to fall, the Lions would certainly have to consider him with their 2nd round pick though.

As for the other OGs, I really like Jon Asamoah and Mike Johnson, but I'm not sure if either of them will be there in the 3rd. Another guy I'd consider is Sergio Render of Virginia Tech, but I'd prefer to take him at the top of the 4th. The position will really get interesting if the Pouncey twins decide to declare for the draft too.

December 4th, 2009, 11:42 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I read this somewhere else, but I immediately thought of this thread. A good candidate to switch from OT in college to OG in the pros is Ciron Black of LSU. I know this guy has received a lot of hype, but I just can't see him playing LT in the NFL. His feet are too slow and he constantly struggles against speed rushers. He possibly could switch to RT, but OG may be his best position due to his size and run blocking ability. Just a thought.

December 5th, 2009, 2:55 pm

m2karateman wrote:

I read this somewhere else, but I immediately thought of this thread. A good candidate to switch from OT in college to OG in the pros is Ciron Black of LSU. I know this guy has received a lot of hype, but I just can't see him playing LT in the NFL. His feet are too slow and he constantly struggles against speed rushers. He possibly could switch to RT, but OG may be his best position due to his size and run blocking ability. Just a thought.

I wouldn't take Black until the 4th round. He has gotten by on strength and size and needs a ton of work. He won't plat LT becuase his feet are slow. He has bad technique. The number one reason I think he won't be able to play OG without allot of coaching is he lets defenders to get their hands into his body. He gets away with it against smaller college DE. However he will be exposed against PRO DEs, let along DT/NT he would face inside.

December 5th, 2009, 4:13 pm
Team MVP

Does anyone know how to pronounce "Iupati"?

December 11th, 2009, 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next