View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Free Agents and Arbitration 
NFL Team Captain

Post Free Agents and Arbitration
Lets talk about arbitration first. The Tigers hav offered arbitration to Fernando Rodney and Brandon Lyons.

Now these two can accept arbitration or become free agents.

My question is why did they not offer arbitration to Palonco? Since we traded for him he has been one of our most reliable players. He is a clutch hitter and an above average 2B. I realize that we have Sizemore waiting in the wings, but why not move Polonco to SS or at least try to trade him.

Before I get to Free Agents I'd like to say somethingh about the trade rumors.

Why in the hell would you want to deal Granderson? The dude has set records for a CF in the last two years. The first one was 08, he set records for any player as far as doubles, triples, home runs and other things that I can't remember.

Edwin Jackson had a great season, now they want to trade him. Rumor has it that the Tigers think it was a fluke. So throw him away!

Willing to trade Miguel Cabrera, who do the expect to get in return for argueably the best 1B in the league? John,Paul, George and Ringo?

Why does it seem like they are trying to rebuild by trading their best players. Young players at that?

All of those trade rumors really piss me off.

Now for FAs:

Miguel Tajada SS-Houston- much better than Adam Everette, this guy can hit. I wanted him long ago.

Pitchers:

LaTroy Hawkins - Houston
Randy Wolf - L.A.
Vincente Padilla - L.A.
Roy Halladay - Toronto Why aren't we after this guy? He could teach our young pitchers a whole lot besides winning a bunch of games on his own.

Rich Harden - Cubs He is hurt often but is excellant when on his game.

These are just a few players available. Are we looking to win or has Mr. Illict given up? Please don't let the Tigs go the way of the Lions!

December 2nd, 2009, 12:03 pm
I'm not disappointed that Polanco did not get offered arbitration. After his gold glove he probably would have gotten an arm and a leg, and we're looking to get younger and cut some pay-roll.

As for trading our younger guys... it depends who we get from them. Dave D. use to get great value in his trades and FA signings, but lately I don't think he's done as well.

A lot of people still look at Granderson as a young, up-and-coming player that could one day be great. He's something like 29, thru the majority of his career, and he seems to be regressing at the plate. He can't hit leftys for beans, but he does still have great range and a great glove. He did mis-read a bunch of plays to kill us at the end of the season though.

As far as Cabrerra goes... Dombrowski knows what he has in Cabrerra, and he's not going to give him away. IMO trading him makes sense, because we have Guillen that can play 1st if need be. I feel like Cabrerra is too young to be a 1st baseman, and I'm disappointed that he didn't work out at 3rd base. This would be a different team if Guillen (1st), Cabrerra (3rd) and Thames (DH) could all be in the lineup on a more consistent basis with hitters in the outfield. We're not going to give the guy away, so it doesn't scare me that he's on the block.

I wouldn't mind trading EJ, but it would be for a middle reliever if it were up to me. EJ had a great season. Was it a fluke or was it "progress"? Know one knows, but you usually get great value when you sell a commodity when it is hot. We already have JV and RP as our 1 and 2... I'm comfortable with JB or AG battling for the 3rd pitching spot, the other taking the 4th and bringing up someone, or signing someone to take the final spot in the rotation (or bump someone back).

I don't know if I would want Tajada at this point. He does hit well, but his fielding seems to have fallen off lately. He might pair well with Inge, but I certainly don't want him long-term. It sickened me when we signed Sheff to that longer term deal. That was a collossal waste of money.

I wish we would have tried to make a bigger play for Dan Haren last year... I think Halloway is too expensive and I don't see where he fits in (JV doesn't seem like a guy that would be ok with being #2, and I can't see Halloway wanting to sign as a #2).

December 2nd, 2009, 7:01 pm
Div 1 - Starter

December 3rd, 2009, 8:06 pm
NFL Team Captain

December 4th, 2009, 7:05 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Phillies are re-loading for another trip to the series.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 4th, 2009, 8:14 am
I'm glad for Polanco and the Philies. I think the moved worked to everyone's favor. I'm going to miss his steady bat and glove, but I'm happy to cut some salary and get younger. I think Polanco would have gotten around $7.5 if he did end up going to arbitration, and, IMO, that's way too much for his services, especially given that our team is in transition right now.

December 4th, 2009, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

I'm glad for Polanco and the Philies. I think the moved worked to everyone's favor. I'm going to miss his steady bat and glove, but I'm happy to cut some salary and get younger. I think Polanco would have gotten around $7.5 if he did end up going to arbitration, and, IMO, that's way too much for his services, especially given that our team is in transition right now.

$5.5M is what I heard his arbitration value was. Not a lot, but we need to get younger. This team is going to be skin and bones after next season. We need to see what we've got if we want to make a run in 2011.

Yes, 2010 is going to be a rough season finishing in 3rd place (you're kidding yourselves if you think we're going to be better than the Twinkies or the Sux).

We need more young arms. I think Casper Wells will see time in the outfield and Sizemore will start at 2nd. They need to resign Everett, because Santiago simply doesn't have good range at short. Everett should be high on their list to resign. There's not many good shortstops out there and they're kidding themselves if they're planning on trading Grandy for a SS prospect...they need someone who's ready.

December 4th, 2009, 2:08 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:

$5.5M is what I heard his arbitration value was. Not a lot, but we need to get younger. This team is going to be skin and bones after next season. We need to see what we've got if we want to make a run in 2011.

Yes, 2010 is going to be a rough season finishing in 3rd place (you're kidding yourselves if you think we're going to be better than the Twinkies or the Sux).

We need more young arms. I think Casper Wells will see time in the outfield and Sizemore will start at 2nd. They need to resign Everett, because Santiago simply doesn't have good range at short. Everett should be high on their list to resign. There's not many good shortstops out there and they're kidding themselves if they're planning on trading Grandy for a SS prospect...they need someone who's ready.

After winning a gold glove and hitting close to .300 I would be surprised if he only got $5.5, especially after what I heard some other players were awarded.

I personally can't stand Everett. His lack of offense is numbing to this team. He is/was the biggest offensive momentum killer on the entire team. I can't tell you how many innings he ended. It was flat out ridiculous. I'd be happy to see Everett go, and I don't expect him back. I would rather we play Santiago (I don't notice that much of a difference with his range over the aging Everett).

December 4th, 2009, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

He only got $6M/yr from the Phillies...which, to most analysts, was being considered as overpaying.

I think it's more absurd we have turds like Willis and Robertson making $10M+ while guys like Polly are only making $6M.

December 4th, 2009, 5:11 pm
He only got $6M/yr from the Phillies...which, to most analysts, was being considered as overpaying.

I think it's more absurd we have turds like Willis and Robertson making $10M+ while guys like Polly are only making $6M.

Polanco got $6 mill a year from the phillies, but its a three year deal, and remember, that's all guaranteed money...

December 4th, 2009, 5:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Free Agents and Arbitration
jomo269 wrote:
Lets talk about arbitration first. The Tigers hav offered arbitration to Fernando Rodney and Brandon Lyons.

Now these two can accept arbitration or become free agents.

My question is why did they not offer arbitration to Palonco? Since we traded for him he has been one of our most reliable players. He is a clutch hitter and an above average 2B. I realize that we have Sizemore waiting in the wings, but why not move Polonco to SS or at least try to trade him.

Before I get to Free Agents I'd like to say somethingh about the trade rumors.

Why in the hell would you want to deal Granderson? The dude has set records for a CF in the last two years. The first one was 08, he set records for any player as far as doubles, triples, home runs and other things that I can't remember.

Edwin Jackson had a great season, now they want to trade him. Rumor has it that the Tigers think it was a fluke. So throw him away!

Willing to trade Miguel Cabrera, who do the expect to get in return for argueably the best 1B in the league? John,Paul, George and Ringo?

Why does it seem like they are trying to rebuild by trading their best players. Young players at that?

All of those trade rumors really piss me off.

Now for FAs:

Miguel Tajada SS-Houston- much better than Adam Everette, this guy can hit. I wanted him long ago.

Pitchers:

LaTroy Hawkins - Houston
Randy Wolf - L.A.
Vincente Padilla - L.A.
Roy Halladay - Toronto Why aren't we after this guy? He could teach our young pitchers a whole lot besides winning a bunch of games on his own.

Rich Harden - Cubs He is hurt often but is excellant when on his game.

These are just a few players available. Are we looking to win or has Mr. Illict given up? Please don't let the Tigs go the way of the Lions!

I think Illich is feeling the economy. Pizza sales are down. Therefore, he has to dump costs.

December 5th, 2009, 6:20 pm
I would be willing to bet that pizza sales are up with the $5 large campaign that Illitch more or less invented before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

That said, it's not fun to own a team when they're hemereging money out of your pocket, and that's what the Tigers are doing to him right now. It should turn around after Mags deal gets off of the books and some of these over-priced contracts become up (Willis, Robertson, Mags, etc.).

December 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm
I can't beleive that we let Rodney get away for two years $11 million. I wouldn't have paid the guy the $9-11 per year that he was looking for, but I think he is a value up until around $6.5 a year. I would have been more than comfortable giving him a two year $13 million dollar deal. He is a good young arm, and has a great change-up when he's on. Phyiscally he has all the tools to be a great pitcher. If his mental side of the game could come around he could be great. I think the Angles got a great value in signing him.

December 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm
Walk On

he will choke when he plays the tigs. Leyland will get under his skin somehow. lol

December 26th, 2009, 12:25 am
he will choke when he plays the tigs. Leyland will get under his skin somehow. lol

I doubt it... He will now have something to prove to us... Weaver didn't choke against us...

That's not the point though... The point is this guy was a value and we still didn't re-sign him. That's just poor business sense...

December 27th, 2009, 2:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next