View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Notre Dame 
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4722121

December 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I saw that on Sportscenter earlier and now I'm pissed. Of course Kelly is going to take the job and Michigan will be stuck with DickRod instead. :(

December 7th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Source: Kelly, Irish to meet Tuesday
Notre Dame plans to interview Cincinnati's Brian Kelly regarding its head-coaching vacancy Tuesday, most likely in New York City, a person close to the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad on Monday.

Kelly met with his undefeated team Monday afternoon and told players he will "listen to what they have to say." Kelly confirmed the meeting on his Twitter account. "Just informed our team that Notre Dame has contacted me and I will listen to what they have to say," Kelly tweeted.

Meanwhile, Stanford's Jim Harbaugh denied a report that he is also set to meet with or has already met with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. The New York Times reported the story on Monday, but in an interview with ESPN's Michelle Tafoya during Monday Night Football, Harbaugh denied the report.

"There's no meeting," Harbaugh said. "I haven't talked to anyone at Notre Dame. I haven't talked to Notre Dame about a meeting."

Harbaugh was at the game in Green Bay watching his brother John coach the Ravens against the Packers. He was asked if he will stay at Stanford.

"I love Stanford, and God willing Michelle, I'll be back at Stanford," Harbaugh said.

Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby also told the newspaper he is "100 percent confident" that Harbaugh is not a candidate. Bowlsby called Swarbrick a close friend whom he has given advice on the search.

Bowslby also told the Times that Harbaugh's agent, Jack Bechta, denied the report, but Bechta did not return calls to the paper.

Stanford (No. 19 BCS, No. 21 AP) will be making its first bowl appearance in eight years at the Brut Sun Bowl against Oklahoma.

Kelly declined to discuss the Notre Dame job after his team beat Pittsburgh 45-44 on Saturday afternoon, but at least two Bearcats players have said their coach told them he was staying put.

The 12-0 Bearcats (No. 3 BCS, No. 4 AP) will cap their season against fifth-ranked Florida in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day.

"He said, 'It's not an issue; I'm not going there,'" safety Aaron Webster said of Kelly about a Thursday conversation. "He said, 'I love Cincinnati, and I'm staying here.'"

Kelly has chided the media for spreading what he called "misinformation" and added, "You folks need to get a handle on this, because it's ridiculous."

Kelly has been rumored to be one of Notre Dame's top candidates and told ESPN this week that he would "entertain" a request from the Irish to speak to him after the Pitt game.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy right now.

December 8th, 2009, 12:39 pm
RIP Killer

December 8th, 2009, 2:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Sorry Sly...if they havn't fired Dickpole yet......they won't this year. we're stuck with Millen Jr. for another year

December 8th, 2009, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

December 9th, 2009, 12:31 pm

it's so sad to see one of college greatest rivalaries die due to total ineptitute..... :(

December 9th, 2009, 2:09 pm
RIP Killer

it's so sad to see one of college greatest rivalaries die due to total ineptitute..... :(

Is Michigan heading down the same path as ND?

December 9th, 2009, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

regularjoe12 wrote:

Thats what is beginning to look like. Not making a bowl game in two years??

Thats nothing short of a fricken tragedy in my mind. If we don't start competeing with the big 10 next year.......Even if they Fire DickPole, they will be at least another year away no matter who they hire.

Why the hell did they abanandon the philosophy of sticking with "Michigan Men"??

December 9th, 2009, 4:03 pm
QB Coach

Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Thats what is beginning to look like. Not making a bowl game in two years??

Thats nothing short of a fricken tragedy in my mind. If we don't start competeing with the big 10 next year.......Even if they Fire DickPole, they will be at least another year away no matter who they hire.

Why the hell did they abanandon the philosophy of sticking with "Michigan Men"??

The whole idea of a "Michigan Man" is simply not true. Bo wasn't a Michigan man. He came from OSU. People love to forget that fact.

Schools that keep saying they need one of "their" guys almost always end up losing on that deal. Look at the most successful coaches in the country:

Urban Meyer: not a "Florida guy"
Pete Carroll: not a "USC guy"
Bob Stoops: not an "Oklahoma guy"
Nick Saban: not an "Alabama guy" or a "LSU guy"
Mack Brown: not a "Texas guy"

The only coach who has won a national title in the past several years who could be considered a "_____ guy" is Tressel, and that's even a bit of stretch.

Michigan should hire the best coach, period. If that happens to be a guy from Michigan, great. If not, so be it. Either way, hire the best coach, not the local guy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 9th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Sources: Kelly to be new Irish coach

Brian Kelly, who has coached Cincinnati's football team to a 12-0 record this season and a berth in the Sugar Bowl, will be the new football coach at Notre Dame, two sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Neither Notre Dame nor Cincinnati has confirmed that Kelly has accepted an offer to coach the Fighting Irish, and Kelly could not be reached for comment, but the sources tell Mortensen that Kelly is Notre Dame's choice to replace the fired Charlie Weis.

Cincinnati is holding its football banquet later tonight, and in a change of plans Thursday afternoon, barred the media from the event. One source told Mortensen that Kelly will announce at the banquet that he has taken the Notre Dame job. Earlier this week, Kelly had contact with representative of Notre Dame about its opening.

Neither source could confirm whether Kelly would coach Cincinnati (No. 3 BCS, No. 4 AP) against fifth-ranked Florida in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day. The Bearcats have won 18 straight regular-season games.

The Chicago Tribune reported this week that Kelly would not coach the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl if hired by Notre Dame, and that associate head coach/defensive backs coach Kerry Coombs would be his likely replacement.

Last week Kelly and Notre Dame officials had an informational meeting, which was facilitated by Parker Executive Search, the Atlanta firm that Notre Dame used to gauge potential candidates' interest, according to the Tribune's Web site.

Kelly is one of seven finalists for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award. The award is voted on by the Football Writers Association of America and will be announced at a reception on Jan. 5 in Newport Beach, Calif.

THIS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!!!!!!!!

December 10th, 2009, 6:38 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205

I don't know how feel about him not finishing at Cincy. I don't know I would want a guy that gives up with the biggest game in Cincy's history.

December 11th, 2009, 10:07 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It is finished:

I don't know how feel about him not finishing at Cincy. I don't know I would want a guy that gives up with the biggest game in Cincy's history.

Hasn't he done that twice now? Once at CMU and now here at Cincy?

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 11th, 2009, 1:03 pm
It is finished:

I don't blame the guy, but I think it is bullsh!t... That said, I blame the system, not the person. The NCAA should step in and invoke a hiring period, only allowing some form of public communication about where a coach is going to go, and forcing him to uphold his obligation to stay at their former school for their bowl game. I think it's bullsh!t to the kids that have worked their azzes off all year, to be stood up at the alter by the man that got them there...

December 11th, 2009, 3:32 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
It is finished:

Hasn't he done that twice now? Once at CMU and now here at Cincy?

Yup, he did it to CMU and even coached Cincy's bowlgame for the win.

December 11th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next