View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I was always... 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post I was always...
a big Harrington supporter but on the final possesion of yesterdays game for the Lions I didn't like what he did. As I am sure most of you didn't either.

I am all for giving McMike a start next week and see what he can do, shoot things can't get any worse.

Or can they?

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 22nd, 2004, 2:34 pm
Cheerleader

They can, at least with Joey in we still hang with them and don't get blown out very often, with McMahon in there I fear we won't even put up a fight.

November 22nd, 2004, 3:35 pm
QB Coach

I was a Harrington supporter, but he is the one to blame for the losing streak. We really had a chance at the playoffs this year, and now it is gone. He can't even be an efficent QB when we lose. Here are some numbers I dug up...

Games in which Joey is 66% in passing or above, he is 3-0. When he throws below 66 percent, he is 1-6

In games Joey throws 26 or fewer times, the Lions are 4-2. But when he throws 27 or more times, the Lions are 0-4

When he has a rating of 73.7 or above, he is 4-2, but when he is below 73.7, we are 0-4, including our last 3 losses in our losing streak

All we are asking Joey to do is be efficent, and run the offense. He can't do that. He is too scared out there, doesn't take command of the offense (he hasn't called an audible all season it seems), and doesn't let his players have it for their mistakes.

I'm done with finding reasons why he should be our QB, because he shouldn't. He doesn't have the talent/poise that an NFL QB needs.

November 22nd, 2004, 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Post Re: I was always...
LionsFan4Life wrote:
a big Harrington supporter but on the final possesion of yesterdays game for the Lions I didn't like what he did. As I am sure most of you didn't either.

I am all for giving McMike a start next week and see what he can do, shoot things can't get any worse.

Or can they?

I was and still am a Harrington supporter. I tend to keep my mouth shut a little more now. He has really stunk lately.

Two things that bug me. One I think we already know what MM is going to offer us. Great on field presence, exciting plays, chance taking, interceptions, and a completion percentage that is nowhere near 50%. Is this better or worse. At least with Harrington he is not single handedly losing games for us. Contrary to what many say.

Two, Joey has been sucking it up lately, but in no way should he take all the blame for this teams woes, a significant portion yes, but not all. He doesn't drop passes, he doesn't get called for penalties, he doesn't fail to open up holes, he doesn't give up big plays, he doesn't get burnt, he doesn't miss tackles...

This whole team is failing not just one player.

November 23rd, 2004, 10:33 am
Site Admin

I dont think Joey is ALL to blame but he has not done good and everyone agrees on that. What bothers me is that all too often he cannot find and open receiver and I have a hard time believing that Az and others are not getting seperation. Not to mention when watching Trent Green or other QBs they throw to receivers who are not 10 ft in front of the db. They just put it where their guy can get it. Joey is supposedly "accurate" or was deemed so but I have not seen it or he is just afraid of making mistakes. I would like to see him play a game fearless and take chances (as well as the play calling both sides of the ball). What do we have to lose...let's get agressive offensively and defensively and see how we do. Seems like we have this team philosophy of trying to avoid losing...but we need to go after the win a lot more.

November 23rd, 2004, 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I wish the lions had recivers who could get open. Roy Williams cant be 100%. If he could get healthy Harrington might be able to have a little turn around.

November 23rd, 2004, 11:29 am
Site Admin

I still think they need Eddie to line up at least on occasionve...Joey used to love Eddie in his first preseason with the Lions. They did good things together.

November 23rd, 2004, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Post As far as Sundays game...
Joey played quite well by turning the ball over till the last posession but if you break down the plays in the second half you will see what was happening. The penalties killed Joey's drives before they started. He was sacked from the backside by Johnstone 3 times because of Backus's ability to block him ALL ON THIRD DOWN.... then you have KJ's huge penalty that killed that drive since Roy is our only deep threat and he wasnt playing well at all. A lot of what happend in that game had little to do with Joey... there were MANY mistakes... and huge amounts of penalties that killed drives. I do not believe that many QB's can come into that situation and do well. There is too much inexperience at key positions and an oline that may be the worst in the league. Granted Joey does make some bad throws especially when he THINKS he needs to make something happen... but so does Favre and Vick and just about anyone else. I will support Joey until he proves that he is no good with talent around him that is not always injured and talent with some more experience... this whole team is failing right now.... Joey is just a PIECE of the puzzle.

November 23rd, 2004, 11:36 am

The Oline is the big problem the Lions need to address that problem in offseason. If you cant run block or pass block than the O is screwed.

November 23rd, 2004, 11:45 am
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Good points by all. And one thing we can all agree on is that we are very frustrated with this TEAM to say the least.

Let me ask you guys this. Does Mr. Harrington have the leadership skills that are needed to be a good QB? Now it's my opinion that a QB must have leadership skills to be able to lead a team to victories.

I think Joe has arm strength, I think he has vision, and he can scramble when needed. But, all those things are taken away if you don't have confidence in yourself or with your teamates. And vice versa with the rest of his teamates having confidence in him.

Right now this team has serious issues. And I just don't see anyone stepping up and taking the leadership role. There might be lack of respect in that locker room? I'm guessing, I have no proof that is the case. But it makes you wonder..........

GO LIONS!!!!!!

November 23rd, 2004, 11:58 am
Site Admin

Considering our youth much of this is to be expected. We had some really bad years and now offensively we are dependent on a 3rd year qb, a rookie WR, and a rookie RB. Jones actually showed me something at least in the first half that he can run and that was good news for us. Let's hope he continues to develop.

November 23rd, 2004, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

I think Harrington can be a good QB. One of the problems I see is he has no running game, no recivers healthy(the guys who are healthy would nt start on any other team in the NFL, and no inconsistint Oline.

In my mind he is the Only offense the Lions have had all year. He has gone through two bad games and last weeks game was not his fault until his last throw. Im happy because the Lions have such a young team and things will get better IMO

November 23rd, 2004, 12:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree w/ alot that was said regarding this, and the thing I can't agree more with, is the inexperience and lack of leadership.

I'm just sick of saying.. "there is always next year"

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 23rd, 2004, 12:12 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

We are definitely a young team on the rise. No doubt about it.
And like you said, maybe that's the reason why we don't see anyone stepping up and taking over. And I'm sure Mooch is ready and waiting for that to happen.

Jones is going to be our back. His lil mistakes he makes is all a part of the growing pains of a rookie.

November 23rd, 2004, 12:15 pm
Baton Girl

Let me ask you guys this. Does Mr. Harrington have the leadership skills that are needed to be a good QB? Now it's my opinion that a QB must have leadership skills to be able to lead a team to victories.

We may never know if Joey has these qualities... Tom K from Mlive says that Joey is different in the locker room and what not but I have never heard if he is or is not a leader .... the only people who can probably answer this is Mooch or the other players... we may never be able to actually answer that.

November 23rd, 2004, 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next