View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Kevin Smith's injury means Lions may have to think offense.. 
if we took a RB and OL with 1/2 I'd give up hope for next year once again.

I wouldn't... The offense is only 2-3 positions away from being complete. I have no problem with fixing one side of the ball. If we draft defense 1/2 the defense is still going to suck. If we draft offense 1/2 the offense would atleast be good (and help the D). My only problem with it this year is there doesn't seem to be an offensive player worthy of a top 5 pick...

December 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Team MVP

Agreed. I wouldnt mind defense in RD1, then OL in RD2, but offense in both i do not like.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

I wouldn't... The offense is only 2-3 positions away from being complete. I have no problem with fixing one side of the ball. If we draft defense 1/2 the defense is still going to suck. If we draft offense 1/2 the offense would atleast be good (and help the D). My only problem with it this year is there doesn't seem to be an offensive player worthy of a top 5 pick...

I don't think we are only a couple positions away. I think we are down 4 lineman, 1 WR, and 1 RB with KS possibly not the same after the injury. To me that is 5 positions that need fixed before we are even good on offense. meanwhile we would continue to have the worst defense in the NFL.

That being said... FA plays a huge part in making one side attainably good...

December 16th, 2009, 4:40 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

I don't think we are only a couple positions away. I think we are down 4 lineman, 1 WR, and 1 RB with KS possibly not the same after the injury. To me that is 5 positions that need fixed before we are even good on offense. meanwhile we would continue to have the worst defense in the NFL.

That being said... FA plays a huge part in making one side attainably good...

If we picked up a soild OG and new LT I think you'd see a completely different OL. I don't disagree that BJ hasn't looked good as a #2 WR, but I don't think that it would be hard to find his replacement. D Williams, as bad as he's been at KR/PR, has had good hands. He might work, or ???... Indy certainly didn't have problems signing scrubs to play #2 WR and they've played well. Arugably RB, IMO, is the only other position of need on offense.

December 16th, 2009, 4:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I would like the Lions to bring Chris Perry into camp to compete for a job. His career fell apart when he got his sports hernia. He should be healed 100% by now after a season off. I still believe that Perry is a good-great RB. And the Lions could get him for minimum wage.

December 17th, 2009, 12:58 am
QB Coach

I would like the Lions to bring Chris Perry into camp to compete for a job. His career fell apart when he got his sports hernia. He should be healed 100% by now after a season off. I still believe that Perry is a good-great RB. And the Lions could get him for minimum wage.

Wow. Time to take off the maize & blue blinders. Perry had 5 years in the league and never did much of anything. A good-great RB? Wow. Seriously, just because someone went to Michigan doesn't automatically make them a good player.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 17th, 2009, 8:08 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

Wow. Time to take off the maize & blue blinders. Perry had 5 years in the league and never did much of anything. A good-great RB? Wow. Seriously, just because someone went to Michigan doesn't automatically make them a good player.

And just because he went to Michigan doesn't necessarily mean that I am viewing him with Maize and Blue glasses. Mike Hart is still in this league. And he wishes he could be half the RB that Chris Perry is.

And I was wrong. He didn't sit out of Football this year. He played for the Florida Tuskers of the UFL.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say.

Quote:
Raymond Christopher Perry (born December 27, 1981 in Advance, North Carolina) is an American football running back who plays for the Florida Tuskers. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals 26th overall in the 2004 NFL Draft. He played college football at Michigan.

College career

Perry played college football at the University of Michigan. In 2003, his senior season, he rushed for 1,674 yards and 18 touchdowns and finished fourth in Heisman Trophy voting and fourth in Michigan annals for rushing yards in a season. That year Perry also received the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation's top running back, was the Big Ten Conference rushing champion,[1] and was named the Big Ten Conference MVP.

Perry set a Michigan game record with 51 carries in a 27-20 win over Michigan State on November 1, 2003. He finished his career at Michigan fifth on the school's career rushing list with 3,696 yards and third in rushing touchdowns with 39.
[edit] Professional career
[edit] Cincinnati Bengals

Perry was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round (26th overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft. He made his NFL debut at the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 3 but he played only two games in his rookie season with the Bengals due to injuries.

Perry played in the 2005 season. His was used to complement Pro Bowl running back Rudi Johnson. Perry finished the 2005 season with 279 rushing yards along with 51 receptions for 328 yards and two touchdowns. His 51 receptions were the most by a Bengals running back in one season since James Brooks caught 54 passes in 1986.[citation needed]

Perry fractured his leg in the 11th game of the 2006 season, ending his season.

On August 27, 2008, the Bengals cut running back Rudi Johnson from the team, solidifying Perry as the starter for the 2008 season. However, he was benched due to poor performance, in favor of Cedric Benson. Perry was released after the season on April 27, 2009.

All I am saying is this guy is as good as any RB on our roster and could conceivably win the starting job. And it would cost us next to nothing to sign him. And who knows, maybe playing in the shadows of the Big House would be good for him.

And for another thing. If we would bring more Wolverines onto this team, we would never drop below respectability. Just look at every Bill Parcells team. He starts with a strong group of Wolverines at it's core.

Last edited by BillySims on December 17th, 2009, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2009, 11:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

P.S. Your just jealous that the Urine Colored Domers don't have half the RB tradition that UofM has. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

December 17th, 2009, 11:17 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Jonathan Dwyer is someone I think could be available in the 2nd round, but has 1st round talent. The problem is that he plays in that goofy, triple-option offense at Georgia Tech, so it's difficult getting a proper evaluation on him. Does he gain the yardage based on his own merit or because of the system? That's what scouts have to figure out and he could fall because of it.

December 17th, 2009, 1:32 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Jonathan Dwyer is someone I think could be available in the 2nd round, but has 1st round talent. The problem is that he plays in that goofy, triple-option offense at Georgia Tech, so it's difficult getting a proper evaluation on him. Does he gain the yardage based on his own merit or because of the system? That's what scouts have to figure out and he could fall because of it.

I saw in the one mock draft they had him going in the early second round, but the first sentence is 'he's not a good runner'. What?

December 17th, 2009, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I am in the group of thinkers that believe the NFl has changed to a two back system and that we can find a duo or trio of runners in the third and fourth rounds. I believe Brown is one of those guys and what we really need is a compliment to Brown. I don't think we need to go to a featured back system to be good if we have a guy like Stafford and a WR like CJ there to be the main focus. Guys fall all the time, I think we can nab someone in round 3 or 4 to start to solidify the spot.

December 17th, 2009, 4:27 pm
I am in the group of thinkers that believe the NFl has changed to a two back system and that we can find a duo or trio of runners in the third and fourth rounds. I believe Brown is one of those guys and what we really need is a compliment to Brown. I don't think we need to go to a featured back system to be good if we have a guy like Stafford and a WR like CJ there to be the main focus. Guys fall all the time, I think we can nab someone in round 3 or 4 to start to solidify the spot.

I still think you need a primary back to be your main rusher... I'm all for 3rd and 4th round guys behind him, but I'd like to have a talent at RB.

December 17th, 2009, 5:22 pm

December 17th, 2009, 5:32 pm
1st Round Pick

cadiliac williams from Tampa is going to be a Free agent I would look at if we could get him a t a reasonable price.

December 17th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I don't know if you watched him at all with CIN but he is a chronic fumbler

December 17th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next