View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Conference "Re-adjustments" (Big Ten 12th member...) 
RIP Killer

Post Conference "Re-adjustments" (Big Ten 12th member...)
I really think it is a smart move and allows for the Big Ten to do what everyone else does and split into conferences and have a championship game.

Quote:
Alvarez: Big Ten to push for 12th team
Comment Email Print Share
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
Archive
Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the Big Ten will soon make a more aggressive push toward adding a 12th member.

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks conference commissioner Jim Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

Big Ten blog
ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg writes about all things Big Ten in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

"I have a sense he is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been the most vocal advocate of a 12th Big Ten team, and he has support from several of his fellow coaches.

A 12th team would allow the Big Ten to split into divisions and hold a conference championship game. The Big Ten typically ends its football season two weeks before the other BCS conferences, though the addition of a permanent bye week in 2010 will shrink the gap by a week.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.

Paterno has stumped for expansion several times, but Delany -- who was unavailable for comment -- told ESPN.com this spring that the league has no immediate plans to add a 12th team.

"There's not an obvious move," Delany said in May. "There might be to some coaches, including Coach Paterno, but it's not as obvious to the university presidents and to the athletic directors.

"There are a lot [of schools] that could take a lot away, but there aren't a lot that could bring so much to make the choice an easy one. You have to have a lot to make something go like this, and it's broader than really a championship game or a basketball tournament."

The Big Ten most recently expanded with Penn State, which began competing as a league member in football in 1993. The league has made runs at Notre Dame but hasn't had serious discussions for several years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

December 12th, 2009, 7:47 pm
RIP Killer

I HATE ND... which is why I would REALLY like them to be part of the Big Ten. I think Kelley will turn things around and this allows for the competitiveness to increase.

I really think that WVU and Pitt would be great adds to the Big Ten. Both have been national programs and are geographically in a good location. I think Cincy is a one year wonder and they really didn't play anyone. Stadium size and depth would turn hem into a laughing stock of the Big Ten. It would be cool to have another bigger school in the Big Ten from Ohio... I just don't see them competing.

I still ND would be a perfect fit, but they REALLY like their independence.

December 12th, 2009, 7:54 pm
RIP Killer

"East"
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Michigan State
Iowa (I know I know... it's the farthest team west...)
** - New Team

"West"
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue

I see it as the only way to keep rivalry's in place, but it unfortunately makes the "East" the obvious power division. I don't see a better way to keep rivalries intact.

December 12th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

What about Central Michigan? It would be fun seeing the Chips beating up on the Sparties year after year. :lol: Just kidding, Pablo.

December 12th, 2009, 9:30 pm
RIP Killer

December 13th, 2009, 12:01 am
RIP Killer

What about Central Michigan? It would be fun seeing the Chips beating up on the Sparties year after year. :lol: Just kidding, Pablo.

True, the state of Michigan power rankings for 2009:

1) Central Michigan
2) Michigan State
3) Grand Valley State
4) Michigan
5) Western Michigan

I'd rather play Michigan than Central anyday...

December 13th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I'd split the Big Ten this way:

"East"
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Michigan State
Iowa (I know I know... it's the farthest team west...)
** - New Team

"West"
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue

I see it as the only way to keep rivalry's in place, but it unfortunately makes the "East" the obvious power division. I don't see a better way to keep rivalries intact.

That alignment won't work. You might as well replace the East title with the Big 6. And replace the West title with the Little 6.

December 14th, 2009, 10:33 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue

Division B
Penn St.
Iowa
Wisconsin
Indiana
Illinois
*New Team*

This assumes that the new team is of average quality.

December 17th, 2009, 11:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

Personally, I think the Big 10 should expand by 9 teams and change it's name to the Mega 20 Conference. Have two 10 team divisions. Each team plays 2 non-conference games, then 9 Division games, then the winners of each division play in a conference championship game.

We could pretty much absorb the Big East's best teams.

Cincinnati Plays at a high Caliber @ Football and Basketball. + natural rival for OSU.
Pittsburgh Ditto + adds a natural rivalry for Penn State
West Virginia Ditto - Usually + has been considered for Big 10 in the past.
Rutgers Capable at both football and Basketball + Has been considered for Big 10 in past.
Connecticut Great Basketball and can have good football teams
Louisville Ditto Connecticut + has been considered for Big 10 in the past.
Syracuse Very good Basketball- Occasionally has a good football team + Big10 would love a University in the New York Market

That's 7 teams from the Big East.

Add Notre Dame ( Who plays Basketball as a Big East Team and that would be 8 from the Big East.

We would still need 1 more University. Possibilities:

Depaul - Good Basketball + located in Big 10 country already. Would be the 9th team from Big East.

Southern Miss Big 10 has considered in the past
Marshall Small school that is growing rapidly. Upwardly mobile in ambition for both football and basketball.
UAB Really! Why are they wasting their time in Conference USA? I guess it's better to be the biggest fish in a small pond.

December 17th, 2009, 12:09 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

A couple of surprise teams that I've been hearing about lately are Missouri and Iowa State from the Big 12. I doubt either of them will switch conferences, but I was shocked to even hear them mentioned.

My best guess at this point would be Pittsburgh, but who really knows what's going to happen?

December 17th, 2009, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.freep.com/article/20091215/S ... side-track

Quote:
otre Dame

A case for: South Bend is ideally located, 3 hours or less from five Big Ten schools (Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois) and 5 hours or less for four more (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana). It has a prestigious football program with great resources and highly respected academics. The Irish already play Michigan, MSU and Purdue on a regular basis in football.

A case against: Notre Dame, an independent, rejected the Big Ten’s overtures once. Would the school change its mind and, if it did, would it join all aspects of the conference, including shared academic missions? What would become of Notre Dame’s exclusive TV deal with NBC?

Cincinnati

A case for: A second Ohio team would create a natural rivalry with Ohio State. Its athletic department has gotten a major boost since becoming affiliated with the Big East, and its football program is gaining prominence, despite lackluster facilities.
A case against: Cincinnati is less than 2 hours from Columbus, which hosts one of the largest athletic departments in the country. Michigan and Michigan State have had 50 years to adjust to their proximity, but OSU might dwarf Cincy. Also, its urban setting is unlike many of the college towns in the league.

Iowa State

A case for: A second Iowa team would unify the state as a Big Ten territory and provide a natural rival for Iowa, the league’s western-most school. It is another land-grant university, meshing with MSU and Penn State.

A case against: It would further stretch the league geographically, with Penn State more than 900 miles away, and the league has long considered proximity part of its appeal.

Missouri

A case for: Would bring a top-25 TV market in St. Louis, which is 2 hours from the Columbia campus. Mizzou has a proud history in men’s basketball and has gained traction in football over the past decade. The Tigers would be a natural rival for Illinois. The schools already meet regularly in football and basketball.

A case against: Neither the football nor basketball program is a powerhouse. It’s a state that is not a traditional stop for Big Ten recruiting.

Pittsburgh

A case for: Would bring a top-25 TV market — or at least fortify it with Penn State — and would have a natural rivalry with the Nittany Lions and possibly Ohio State. It would tie State College, Pa., closer to the rest of the conference and bring a strong football tradition. Pittsburgh was ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the No. 56 university nationally, ahead of many current Big Ten schools.

A case against: After such a long affiliation with the Big East, Pittsburgh might see itself as an eastern-based university (though that didn’t stop Penn State from joining).

Other possibilities: Rutgers, Connecticut, Syracuse and Louisville.

December 17th, 2009, 12:52 pm
RIP Killer

I was surprised with MIssouri and Iowa State as well... but sitting right here in Cedar Rapids as I type this and seeing there is an obvious rivalry here that most the rest the Big Ten just doesn't know about. Was just down in Iowa City... reminds me of a smaller Ann Arbor.

December 17th, 2009, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091216 ... 2th-school

Quote:
Big Ten likely will look east for 12th school

And now the speculation begins
The latest team to join the Big Ten will be ...
Well, let's just assume that the strongest pool of candidates will include Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse, all Big East teams that seems to be the general consensus -- as well as, but certainly not with as much weight as those three, Louisville and Cincinnati also from the Big East.
Let's also assume Notre Dame is not a viable candidate, although a highly logical candidate. Notre Dame, which remained an independent after the Big Ten's flirtations in 1999, might not get a call this time as the Big Ten looks to add a team for the first time since expanding to 11 teams with Penn State in 1990.
Advertisement

"There's some pressure, I would suppose, to maybe go back to Notre Dame and ask again, which I would not be happy with," Penn State football coach Joe Paterno told reporters last summer. "I think they've had their chance."
Missouri has long been a rumored 12th Big Ten team, but reports on Tuesday seemed to indicate the Tigers are happy in the Big 12.
"Should there be an official inquiry or invitation, we would evaluate it based on what is in the best interest of MU, athletically and academically," Missouri representative Mary Joe Banken told KCTV5 in Kansas City.
Don Walsworth is a major Missouri donor and was a member of the board that governs the university. He told the television station that Missouri is well-situated geographically in the Big 12 and also has developed rivalries with Kansas and Texas.
"I think that they would be a little bit miffed if we had to start those traditions over again," Walsworth said, referring to the fans. "I like to play Oklahoma, I like to play Texas."
Adding a 12th team isn't exclusively about football, although football is king in the Big Ten and what is best for football is best for the conference. That said, adding Pittsburgh, which would be a nice geographical fit for the Big Ten, and Syracuse would also improve men's basketball.
Rutgers, however, is an intriguing consideration.
Rutgers is based in Piscataway, N.J., and would open the Big Ten to the New York-New Jersey area, which could mean big gains in terms of the media market and also with gate potential.
Dandy dozen
An East-West split is one way the Big Ten could be divided:
WEST
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
EAST
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
New team (Pitt, Rutgers or Syracuse)
Big Ten members
School, location Joined Big Ten* Undergrad Enrollment Varsity teams NCAA titles** Big Ten titles***
Illinois, Champaign, Ill. 1896 30,895 21 17 226
Indiana, Bloomington, Ind. 1900 30,394 24 23 161
Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 1900 20,907 24 23 103
Michigan, Ann Arbor 1896# 26,083 27 32 343
Mich. State, East Lansing 1953 36,072 25 19 78
Minnesota, Minneapolis 1896 38,645 25 15 149
Northwestern, Evanston, Ill. 1896 8,284 19 5 68
Ohio State, Columbus, Ohio 1912 40,212 36 22 181
Penn State, State College, Pa. 1993 36,612 29 35 45
Purdue, West Lafayette, Ind. 1896 31,290 18 3 66
Wisconsin, Madison, Wis. 1896 28,999 23 25 179
*(As of Fall 2008) (excludes football); **(As of Spring 2008); #Inactive 1907-1916
Big Ten hopefuls
School, location Conference Undergrad enrollment Varsity teams
Cincinnati, Cincinnati Big East (2005) 36,518 17
Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa. Big East (1982) 32,105 17
Rutgers, New Brunswick, N.J. Big East (1991) 34,696 27
Syracuse, Syracuse, N.Y. Big East (1979) 18,247 20
Missouri, Columbia, Mo. Big 12 (1996) 30,831 20

December 17th, 2009, 12:56 pm
RIP Killer

Notre Dame re-affirms their independence...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4750901

December 17th, 2009, 4:44 pm
RIP Killer

I went to a Big 12 school and there ain't no way you're getting Missouri out of the 12. They might be able to squeeze Iowa State out of the Big 12, but still unlikely. The Big 10 will have to look East and they ain't gettin' no powerhouse!

December 17th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next