View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Terrorist Attack in London 
RIP Killer

Post Terrorist Attack in London
London rocked by explosions
Blair says he suspects terrorists are responsible

Thursday, July 7, 2005; Posted: 8:06 a.m. EDT (12:06 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Four explosions in London's transport system have killed at least two people and wounded dozens more in what UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said he suspected was an attack by terrorists.

More fatalities were sure to follow -- emergency services personnel told CNN writer William Chamberlain that a rescue operation at Kings Cross station had successfully evacuated all survivors, leaving dead below ground "in the double digits."

Three of the blasts took place in the city's subway system and one more hit a double-decker bus, all at the height of rush hour.

International SOS, an international medical emergency service, reported that the police had found explosive traces in at least one of four confirmed blast locations.

Hospital officials have reported at least 160 wounded. London transit officials shut down the entire Underground and stopped buses in the central city district.

"We are dealing with large numbers of casualties," he said, "and we believe a number of fatalities."

Blair, in Scotland where he is hosting the G8 summit, told reporters he would leave the summit for a "face to face" report in London and then return later in the evening.

"It's reasonably clear there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London," Blair said. "There are obviously casualties, both people that have died and peole that are seriously injured.

Blair said it was "also reasonably clear" that the attacks were timed to coincide with the opening of the summit.

"It's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of proverty in Africa and the long-term problems with the environment," he said. (Full text)

A White House spokesman said President Bush is aware of the explosions and had been in briefings with Blair all morning.

Despite calls from officials to stay home, however, Londoners were on the streets except in areas where they were barred by police.

Police cordoned off areas around six stations in and around the city's center and financial area and brought in sniffer dogs to check the areas.

Telephone traffic -- particularly by cell phone -- was nearly impossible. London's largest cellular provider, Vodaphone, said it had devoted much of its network to emergency services, causing the problems with subscribers.

London's police chief said the explosions, which began at about 8:50 a.m. (3:50 a.m. ET), certainly appeared coordinated.

One man, with blood streaming down the left side of his face from a wound on his temple, said he didn't "want to live through it again."

"I was in the front carriage and people were severely injured there," he said, dispassionately, adding that his train had been in the tunnel between Kings Cross and Russell Square. "I heard, but I don't know, that people were hurt worse further back. "Some people were very calm, others very panicky."

"There was a very loud bang, the lights went out, the carriage filled with smoke," he said. "We were all thrown forward."

Another man, clearly shaken by his experience, described being on a smoke-filled carriage on the same train, he and his fellow passengers afraid to try to leave the train.

"We were all trapped like sardines waiting to die," said Angelo Power. "I honestly thought I was going to die, as did everyone else."

A police spokesman urged Londoners to "stay where you are."

"There's no way to travel around London at the moment," he said.

"There is a London emergency plan," he said. "It has been put into effect. It is being coordinated by the Metropolitan Police, and that's about all I can say at the moment."

Scotland Yard sent out a notice saying that "public transport in London will be affected in the next few days."

Claire Burroughs, spokeswoman for St Mary's Hospital in central London, told CNN the hospital was on "major incident alert." Four patients were critically injured, eight were seriously injured and 14 others were being treated for minor injuries, she said.

"The types of injuries we are seeing include limb damage, burns, cuts, breaks, head injuries and chest problems due to smoke inhalation," Burroughs said.

London Hospital said it received 95 patients, most with minor injuries. Ten, however were listed in serious condition and seven in critical condition as well as "numerous with significant orthopedic injuries requiring immediate surgery."

CNN cameraman Oran O'Reilly said he has seen seven of the city's famed double-decker buses as well as police cars and ambulances arriving with casualties.

Another hospital told CNN it had taken in 40 wounded.

British Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the explosions took place between Russell Square and Kings Cross Underground; near the Moorgate, Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations Underground; and the Edgware Road station.

The fourth explosion on a bus just outside Tavistock Hotel.

London Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London's fire brigade are investigating, according to Scotland Yard.

O'Reilly, who was at Aldgate station, saw passengers coming out of it with signs of smoke inhalation -- black smudges around their mouths and noses.

"They're pushing people away from the tube (train) station," O'Reilly said. "Police are telling us to evacuate the street."

Also at Aldgate, CNN producer Roger Clark said he had seen people with blood running down their faces, with many others looking stunned.

An eyewitness who was on a train told Clark the car in front of him exploded and then the the train tunnel filed with smoke.

Separately, the London Fire Service said it was responding to a report of an explosion on a bus at Russell Square. Chamberlin heard a loud explosion in central London. Witnesses told him they saw a heavily damaged double-decker bus.

July 7th, 2005, 8:05 am
Modmin Dude

My heart goes out to all of England and the World as well as the victims and their families. We all need to band together to defeat terrorism.

July 7th, 2005, 10:37 am
Hall of Fame Player

My heart goes out to all of England and the World as well as the victims and their families. We all need to band together to defeat terrorism.

I agree Wags!

This is terrible.

We need to find a better way to fight terrorism - what we're doing is not working. And I'm tired of US giving up OUR rights and freedoms to be safe. And the solution is NOT more security.

July 7th, 2005, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I suspect this has something to do with them hosting the 2012 Olympiad... But, then again I may be wrong since the Olympics aren't wort fighting over; but, people do crazy poop....

Michael Huff for DROY

July 7th, 2005, 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I suspect this has something to do with them hosting the 2012 Olympiad... But, then again I may be wrong since the Olympics aren't wort fighting over; but, people do crazy poop....

I suspect it has something to do with terrorism, pure and simple. Trying to spread fear in the hearts and minds of everyone in England and the civilized world. I honestly think it was coincedence that it happened the day after they were awarded the 2012 Olympics. It takes too long to plan a coordinated attack like this to have it happen the next day. These bastards only know fear and brutality - and that is how we should treat them - brutally, no mercy. I just wish all those damn do-gooders in the world would realize that we are not dealing with normal, civilized people here. They don't give a crap what we think about them, they just want us dead. These people are evil, pure and simple. I can't think of any other way to explain it, just EVIL!!! I hate to say it, but part of me thinks that we should've just carpet bombed the entire middle east a couple years ago.........

July 7th, 2005, 11:28 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Apparetly, Al Queda claimed responsibility.

I agree, they are Evil.

My prayers are with England and all affected by this hatred.

July 7th, 2005, 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Harrington is da man wrote:

I suspect it has something to do with terrorism, pure and simple. Trying to spread fear in the hearts and minds of everyone in England and the civilized world. I honestly think it was coincedence that it happened the day after they were awarded the 2012 Olympics. It takes too long to plan a coordinated attack like this to have it happen the next day. These bastards only know fear and brutality - and that is how we should treat them - brutally, no mercy. I just wish all those damn do-gooders in the world would realize that we are not dealing with normal, civilized people here. They don't give a crap what we think about them, they just want us dead. These people are evil, pure and simple. I can't think of any other way to explain it, just EVIL!!! I hate to say it, but part of me thinks that we should've just carpet bombed the entire middle east a couple years ago.........

Wags,

I agree that I don't think it has anything to do with the Olympics either. The planning for this began long ago.

I would urge you to be careful about "carpet bombing the entire Middle East" for a variety of reasons. Most importantly - and I know you know this - there's a lot of good people in the Middle East that don't support the Muslim extremist way of thinking. You're right - the people who did this in London (and 911 for that matter) are evil and twisted. Pure and simple. But wiping out a nation or a people isn't the answer.

I do believe we need more harsh penalties for those caught and convicted and their families. And I do believe we should extract oil reserves in a dollar amount equal to what we've spent on the war and 911. And I believe we should continue to hold foreign governments responsible for aiding and harboring terrorists. And I could list a whole bunch of things I think we should be doing but I won't today.

Today, I think we need to remember that our values and beliefs are stronger and greater than the terrorists are and say a prayer for the innocent lives taken, injured survivors and all their families.

July 7th, 2005, 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I would urge you to be careful about "carpet bombing the entire Middle East" for a variety of reasons. Most importantly - and I know you know this - there's a lot of good people in the Middle East that don't support the Muslim extremist way of thinking.
I'm not saying that and never actually would want to carpet bomb the Middle East. I know that these bastards are in the minority. I just wish that the people in the Middle East that don't support these bastards would speak up and vocally condemn these attacks. I have yet to hear any Muslim leader globally condemn any terrorist attack. They should be the ones holding press conferences so the whole world knows that these little factions of terrorists are not the way that the Middle East or the Muslim world think. Until then, I still hold them at least partially responsible. It may not be the right way to for me to look at it, but until I hear a Muslim leader actually globally condemn and take a lead in the search and capture of these bastards that it the way I will see it. It is a shame that it seems like the only people that want this terrorism to stop and is taking an active role in that is the USA with a little help from the other nations in the coalition. If there are others out there speaking out about these attacks, then why can't we all hear them??? Is it possible that the news agencies don't want people to speak out against terrorism??? That they just want people to speak out against the War in Iraq??? Just some food for thought.....

July 7th, 2005, 1:17 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I have yet to hear any Muslim leader globally condemn any terrorist attack.

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=781

Quote:
I just wish that the people in the Middle East that don't support these bastards would speak up and vocally condemn these attacks.

It would be nice to have a popular uprising in the Middle East against the people who are bastardizing their religion.

July 7th, 2005, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

TheRealWags wrote:

Quote:
I just wish that the people in the Middle East that don't support these bastards would speak up and vocally condemn these attacks.

It would be nice to have a popular uprising in the Middle East against the people who are bastardizing their religion.

Oops, short term memory problems again :oops: But still, has anyone of them held a news conference??? Had it been shown GLOBALLY???? Not that I know of. Hell, whenevern Pres. Bush has a press conference or talks to the nation the whole wide world knows about it, it can't be that freaking hard for one of them to get the attention of one reputable news agency, can it???

July 7th, 2005, 2:26 pm
Hall of Fame Player

bsand2053 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Quote:

Oops, short term memory problems again :oops: But still, has anyone of them held a news conference??? Had it been shown GLOBALLY???? Not that I know of. Hell, whenevern Pres. Bush has a press conference or talks to the nation the whole wide world knows about it, it can't be that freaking hard for one of them to get the attention of one reputable news agency, can it???

And I Totally agree with this!!

And I'll add that not only would it be nice if they spoke out more often... but they do it without us having to give them money!!

July 7th, 2005, 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]