View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 2010 draft 
Another thing you gotta think of is...

Lets say we DIDNT draft Suh and got a Berry/Mays/Okung..and lets say next year we improved this team by instead of picking in the top 3 again, we pick between 7-10. Now because we passed on Suh, it is even more obvious "this" year that DT is a serious need, but now there isnt a Suh-graded player, we're out of luck now and SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM LAST YEAR. Or....if we needed that d-tackle and we're stuck between 7-10 and there IS another Suh-type player, we aint moving up to get him....guess we'll have to settle for something else.

Unless we get an AMAZING trade offer, please, lets not pass on Suh and regret it for the next few years.

I don't buy your argument.... We have much more pressing needs and we can get a serviceable DT in the 2nd round of most drafts. We don't have to have a "Suh type player," whatever that is, to succeed.

December 31st, 2009, 3:35 pm
Right now Barnes isn't even listed in the top ten at WR (poor 40 time). I realize that the ratings at this point are not very accurate, and could change drastically by draft day. He has shown to be a reliable receiver.

I understand that, but I think he will be by the time it is all said and done. L. Fitz had a bad 40 time too... Didn't drop his draft status all that much...

December 31st, 2009, 3:37 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Could Tebow's 'making his case' for a high pick (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... day-climb/) set off a draft-wide run on quarterbacks?

January 2nd, 2010, 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Florida was just physically the better team even Dunlap looked like he was suppose to look all season long. If teams go crazy over Dunlap or Tebow based on that bowl game they could cost their teams in the long run. Tebow is at best a mid 2nd rounder based on his toughness, leadership, ability to potentially develop into a QB, or at least be a H-Back.

January 2nd, 2010, 11:28 am
QB Coach

U of Cincinnati looks like the 2008 Lions.
A tweet from Peter King about the game last night.

January 2nd, 2010, 12:02 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Speaking of Freddie Barnes, I can't see him going before the 3rd round. As mentioned previously, he only runs about a 4.65, but he also lacks size. I've seen him listed as 6'2", but I think he'll be lucky to measure 6 foot. For a WR to go early, they need to have either size or speed and he has neither. With that said, I really like the kid because of his hands and his ability to get open. I envision him in a role similar to Wes Welker in NE. He'll probably never be as good as him, but he can run the underneath routes, catch everything in sight, and move the chains. I think the Lions should seriously consider him if he's available at the top of the 4th.

January 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm
RIP Killer

Speaking of Freddie Barnes, I can't see him going before the 3rd round. As mentioned previously, he only runs about a 4.65, but he also lacks size. I've seen him listed as 6'2", but I think he'll be lucky to measure 6 foot. For a WR to go early, they need to have either size or speed and he has neither. With that said, I really like the kid because of his hands and his ability to get open. I envision him in a role similar to Wes Welker in NE. He'll probably never be as good as him, but he can run the underneath routes, catch everything in sight, and move the chains. I think the Lions should seriously consider him if he's available at the top of the 4th.

I agree, I didn't get to say that yet, but I was going to. I though think he's a good pick in the 3rd. What he does is actually CATCH the ball... weird huh...

January 2nd, 2010, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

No....the Lions have enough receivers that don't have deep speed. The Lions need a speed receiver, other than CJ. They need someone with blazing speed and quickness to work out of the slot. Derrick Williams is the Lions version of Freddie Barnes, so that spot is filled.

January 2nd, 2010, 10:48 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Somebody on Mlive was saying the Ko Simpson trade was for a 4th rounder.

January 2nd, 2010, 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

slybri19 wrote:

No....the Lions have enough receivers that don't have deep speed. The Lions need a speed receiver, other than CJ. They need someone with blazing speed and quickness to work out of the slot. Derrick Williams is the Lions version of Freddie Barnes, so that spot is filled.

Then I'll start the Jacoby Ford bandwagon.

January 3rd, 2010, 6:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:

Somebody is wrong. Ko Simpson was a fourth round pick. The trade was for a conditional pick, thought to be a seventh rounder with escalators that could have made the pick the Lions give up as high as a sixth rounder. That was my understanding. I don't see Simpson as having met the escalators to make it a sixth round pick in trade.

January 3rd, 2010, 11:21 am

And you believed them? :lol:

That's one of the last sites that you should take people seriously. As M2K pointed out, the trade has only been reported as "conditional" and it is widely speculated to be for a 7th. Since the Lions should also be getting a 7th from the Jets for O'Connell, it's basically a wash.

January 3rd, 2010, 12:38 pm

I don't completely agree with that, but it's really a matter of preference. Not all teams have two speed guys on the outside and I don't think it's neccessary. As I mentioned earlier, NE has Moss running deep with Welker taking the underneath routes. GB has Jennings as their speed guy with Driver mostly running short. Pitt has Holmes as their deep threat with Ward being more of a possession guy. In Arizona, Fitzgerald and Boldin really aren't that fast, but they get the job done. I can definitely see why someone would want two speed receivers like Jackson and Maclin in Philly, but I don't think it's the end all, be all. My preference would be for a guy with good quickness, that runs great routes and has great hands, but that's just me.

January 3rd, 2010, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

I don't completely agree with that, but it's really a matter of preference. Not all teams have two speed guys on the outside and I don't think it's neccessary. As I mentioned earlier, NE has Moss running deep with Welker taking the underneath routes. GB has Jennings as their speed guy with Driver mostly running short. Pitt has Holmes as their deep threat with Ward being more of a possession guy. In Arizona, Fitzgerald and Boldin really aren't that fast, but they get the job done. I can definitely see why someone would want two speed receivers like Jackson and Maclin in Philly, but I don't think it's the end all, be all. My preference would be for a guy with good quickness, that runs great routes and has great hands, but that's just me.

Read what I said again, Sly. I said the Lions needs someone with speed to work out of the slot. Northcutt doesn't have that type of speed, and neither does Williams. Put CJ and a speed slot receiver to one side of the field, and you create an enormous matchup problem, since most safeties and nickel coverage backs aren't fleet of foot. Catch the defense napping and they put a LBer on that slot guy, and it becomes a joke.

Bryant Johnson is not the ideal guy to play opposite CJ, because Bryant isn't reliable, lacks ideal footspeed to be a number two receiver, and his route running leaves much to be desired. In my opinion, a possession receiver needs to be a bit faster than BJ (all the receivers you mentioned are faster than him), have more reliable hands, and should run the most precise routes on the team. I wasn't overwhelmed by the Bryant Johnson signing, but I thought he would be better than what he was this season. In my eyes, he was an experiment gone bad. Let him loose and let's make a more concerted effort to get a player that can take heat off CJ. If the Lions can't/don't do that, then they should trade CJ while his value his high, and get picks to fill spots along the two lines.

January 3rd, 2010, 5:30 pm

M2K, I think we saw some of the Lion's future slot receiver today in Aaron Brown. They're experimenting with it now, but if he works out, he would be a perfect fit with his speed and quickness. I don't have much faith in him as a RB though. He's great on sweeps and screens, but he's limited between the tackles and in pass protection. I'm interested to see what happens with that.

I'm with you that the Lions need a better #2 than Bryant Johnson (and I never brought him up), but I'm not sure that the answer is Derrick Williams. I wasn't that high on him coming out of college, but you never know. His route running and hands aren't what I would like as a solid #2 possession receiver like I think Freddie Barnes could become. I could be completely wrong here, but that's what I'm thinking at this time.

January 3rd, 2010, 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next