View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Declared Underclassmen 
QB Coach

Joe Haden heading to NFL draft
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2010 4:32 PM ET
There's another college player who has decided to jump into the NFL draft while the rookie compensation system hasn't changed -- and while a work stoppage is still a year away.

Florida cornerback Joe Haden, the 2009 Thorpe Award winner, is coming out.

John Taylor of CFT has the details.

He also is keeping track of all college players who are deciding to help their own families, rather than the families of their head coaches.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... s-tracker/

A link to their underclassman tracker

January 3rd, 2010, 6:36 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Penn State's Bowman entering draft By Joe Schad

Penn State junior linebacker Navarro Bowman said Monday he will enter the next NFL draft.

"I sat down with my family and the right choice for me is to pursue the next level," Bowman said. "I'm proud of my accomplishments in college but it's also a time to take care of my family."

Bowman, 6-2, 235 pounds, is projected as a likely first-round pick.

"I have played for the best linebackers coach in the country," Bowman said. "He's taught me how to make plays. He's taught me to have sound technique. I have been a part of a great tradition at Penn State. I missed a few games this season, but I feel I really finished the season strong."

I hope somebody takes him in the 1st and a DL or CB falls to the 2nd because of it.

January 5th, 2010, 2:10 am

ESPN wrote:
Sources: Gibson to enter NFL draft By Adam Rittenberg

Ohio State defensive end Thaddeus Gibson will forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL draft, according to sources.

Gibson likely will make an official announcement Tuesday afternoon. According to a source, he met with Buckeyes head coach Jim Tressel and co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell on Monday to finalize the decision.

The 6-2, 240-pound Gibson played some outside linebacker at Ohio State but eventually transitioned to defensive end and came on strong during Big Ten play in 2008. He earned second-team All-Big Ten honors this fall after leading the Buckeyes with 13 tackles for a loss and ranking second in sacks with 4. Gibson also had two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and an interception.

Ohio State is waiting on NFL decisions from two other defenders, lineman Cameron Heyward and cornerback Chimdi Chekwa.

ESPN wrote:
Oklahoma's Franks entering NFL draft By Joe Schad

Oklahoma junior cornerback Dominique Franks said Tuesday he will enter the next NFL draft.

"It's what's best," Franks said. "I can shut down one side of the field and I study and work hard enough to know what's coming.

"I'm going to start training today to get stronger and make sure all my techniques are great for the [NFL scouting] combine," he said.

Franks, at 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, had two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown, and 47 tackles (33 solo) for the Sooners in 2009. In 2008 he had four interceptions and returned an interception and a fumble each for touchdowns.

ESPN wrote:
Wolfpack's top rusher to go pro By Heather Dinich

North Carolina State tailback Toney Baker, the Wolfpack's leading rusher in 2009, has decided to forgo a sixth year of eligibility granted to him by the NCAA and enter the NFL draft.

"After talking to my family, my coaches and doing a lot of praying, I've decided that it's time for me to pursue playing football at the next level," Baker said in a prepared statement. "It was a tough decision because I have loved my time at NC State and have really enjoyed playing for Coach [Tom] O'Brien. But after weighing all my options, I think this is the right move for me at this time in my life."

Baker missed almost two complete seasons with a knee injury, but made a strong comeback in 2009 and led the team in rushing with 64.4 yards per game. He also ranked third on the team in scoring and fourth in receiving. Baker was a bright spot for a team that struggled in O'Brien's third season and finished 5-7.

Baker finished the regular season ranked sixth in the ACC in rushing, ninth in all-purpose yards (94 per game) and tied for seventh in touchdown scoring (4.5 per game). He finished his career ranked 11th in school history with 17 career rushing touchdowns and 11th in rushing yards with 2,045.

"We support Toney in this decision and wish him great success," O'Brien, who is on the road recruiting, said in a statement released by North Carolina State. "He has been and will continue to be a great representative of NC State University and our football program."

January 5th, 2010, 3:31 pm
RIP Killer

Gibson I think is worth a look. He has the skills to be a good DE/LB

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... addeu.html

Also, article mentioned that Heyward might go, he has decided to stay. That dude is going to be good.

January 6th, 2010, 4:25 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Top Big 10 OT to enter draft … Iowa junior OT Bryan Bulaga, the Big Ten’s offensive lineman of the year, has announced that he will be entering the 2010 draft. The 6-5, 315-pound Bulaga is projected as a first-round pick, although his ultimate draft grade may have been compromised by a non-football illness that forced him to miss three games early in the season.

Gator TE; USF DE enter draft … The 2010 draft class grew by two players as both Florida junior TE Aaron Hernandez and South Florida junior DE Jason Pierre-Paul have announced they will be turning pro this winter. Hernandez should be one of the first 2-3 TEs off the board this coming April, while Pierre-Paul, who is still very raw after having played only one year of major college football after arriving at USF from the junior college ranks, has some people talking first-round potential because of his size - he’s a rangy 6-5, 260-pounder with a huge wingspan - combined with uncommon athleticism for a DE.

# One in one out for Lions … Penn State junior RB Evan Royster has announced hat he will pass on the 2010 NFL draft and return to school for his senior season. Meanwhile, PSU DE Jerome Hayes has reportedly opted to enter the draft rather than petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. Once a highly recruited prep recruit, Hayes missed a couple of seasons with knee injuries. Hayes had 18 tackles and a sack for the Nittany Lions in 2009.
January 5

January 7th, 2010, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

I heard this morning that Jevan Snead, QB for Ole Miss has elected to enter the draft.

In my opinion, this is a big mistake on his part. He had a TERRIBLE year, and his draft stock dropped considerably.

I've seen some sites rank him as a late first rounder, even ahead of Tony Pike and Ryan Mallett (if he declares).

My opinion? Snead is worth a mid-third rounder, if that. He had mental breakdowns constantly this season. He missed wide open receivers on a regular basis, and in general didn't handle pressure well.

January 8th, 2010, 10:54 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree, talk about not living up to the hype that he had going into this year. He was bad, and was consistently bad at that. If he had shown flashes then maybe this would make sense but come on....

January 8th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Here's one that's going pro and another that is staying:
ESPN wrote:
Worilds expects to be taken on first day By Heather Dinich

Virginia Tech defensive end Jason Worilds has decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, leaving the Hokies with six starters they'll have to replace on defense in 2010.

"After considerable thought and prayer, and consulting with my family, I've decided to forgo my senior year at Virginia Tech and enter the NFL draft," Worilds said on a Thursday afternoon teleconference.

Worilds declined to say how high the NFL draft advisory board projected he would be taken, but said that he expects to be taken on the first day. He has not hired an agent yet.

Worilds made 49 tackles this season, including 11 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had one forced fumble, one pass breakup and a team-leading 32 quarterback hurries. Statistically, it was a less impressive season than his sophomore year in which Worilds finished with 18.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks.

Worilds said he expects he will also train as a linebacker and is comfortable enough to handle the outside linebacker position.

"Positionwise, I don't have any personal preference," he said. "I just want to get on the field and do what I love to do. I have heard different things, and it really depends schematically on what the team runs. Certain teams that run 4-3 will have me as a down lineman in a three-point stance, and teams that run a 3-4 would have me standing up as an outside linebacker."

Worilds said he had been going back and forth on his decision for the past week or so, and said it was "extremely difficult."

"The camaraderie you get from playing with your teammates and being with those guys every day, you grow a strong bond. In that locker room we're a band of brothers, so it was extremely difficult but I also know they understand I had to do what was best for me at the time. They understand that and I expect them to go on and win that national championship."

Virginia Tech was ranked as high as No. 4 in the BCS standings this past season, but the Hokies' national championship hopes fell short after back-to-back losses to Georgia Tech and North Carolina. They rebounded to win their final five games of the season, including a 37-14 win over Tennessee in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Virginia Tech should earn a preseason top 10 ranking, but the loss of Worilds will make it an even more difficult rebuilding year for Bud Foster's traditionally stout defense.

"Jason is a very talented player, but is also a very smart player," coach Frank Beamer said in a prepared statement. "He has the toughness to be successful after playing through a shoulder injury last year. We wish him a long NFL career. He was great for Virginia Tech and we wish him the best in the NFL."

and

ESPN wrote:
Source: Mallett to return for junior yearComment Email Print Share ESPN.com

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett will announce later Friday that he will pass on the NFL draft and return for his junior season, a source close to the player told ESPN's Joe Schad.

An announcement is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET.

Mallett completed 15 of 36 passes for 202 yards and one touchdown in leading Arkansas to a 20-17 victory over East Carolina in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.

The Razorbacks finished 8-5.

For the season, Mallett completed 225 of 403 passes for 3,627 and 30 touchdowns.

January 8th, 2010, 1:35 pm
IMO Mallet is smart to stay in school. I didn't think he had the greatest bowl game (he looked nervous to me... or just not totally in it mentally), and I think he has a great chance of being the #1 Qb coming out in the following years draft.

January 8th, 2010, 1:41 pm

ESPN wrote:
McKnight leaving USC for draft By Joe Schad

USC junior running back Joe McKnight said Friday that he will enter the upcoming NFL draft.

"The time is right," McKnight said. "This was my first healthy season and I really don't want to come back and risk injury."

The Trojans held McKnight out of the Emerald Bowl against Boston College in December amid an ongoing investigation into whether he violated rules by using an SUV that does not belong to him, as well as his relationship with the vehicle's owner, Santa Monica businessman Scott Schenter.

McKnight was not cleared in time by USC's compliance department to participate in the Emerald Bowl, a 24-13 victory for USC. He said Friday that the ongoing investigation did not factor into his decision to leave school early.

"If I would have come back it would have been to pursue the Heisman," said McKnight, who also spoke of the difficulty of being compared with former USC running back Reggie Bush.

"My career was OK," McKnight said. "It was good, but not like Reggie. There was a constant pressure to be like Reggie."

McKnight was USC's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2005. He gained 1,014 yards, scored eight touchdowns and averaged 6.2 yards per carry. The Trojans finished 9-4, their worst season since 2001. The Trojans failed to make a BCS bowl and win the Pac-10 title for the first time in eight years.

ESPN wrote:
Georgia Tech's Thomas to enter draft

ATLANTA -- Demaryius Thomas says he is leaving Georgia Tech to enter the NFL draft.

Thomas, a junior wide receiver, announced his decision on Friday.

At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Thomas is an unusually big receiver with good speed. He led the Yellow Jackets with 46 receptions and led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 1,154 yards receiving and about 25 yards per catch this season.

He caught passes in 29 straight games before he was shut out in Georgia Tech's 24-14 Orange Bowl loss to Iowa on Tuesday.

Georgia Tech is awaiting announcements from at least three more highly rated juniors: defensive end Derrick Morgan, running back Jonathan Dwyer and safety Morgan Burnett. Morgan and Dwyer are rated as probable first-round picks.

January 8th, 2010, 2:57 pm
RIP Killer

Anyone thing he could be a later round gem?

January 8th, 2010, 6:09 pm

ESPN wrote:
Central Michigan's Brown leaves for NFL By Joe Schad

Central Michigan junior wide receiver Antonio Brown said Thursday he will enter the NFL draft.

"It came down to my coach leaving, my quarterback leaving and really having nothing more to do in college," Brown said.

Brown had 1,198 yards receiving this season and 3,176 yards and 22 touchdowns in his career.

"I can do things on special teams, I can play the slot, I can return kicks and punts," Brown said.

Brown, 5 foot 11, 184 pounds, said he likes comparisons to DeSean Jackson, Devin Hester and Santana Moss.

"I want to thank [former Central Michigan] Coach [Butch] Jones because he really helped me mature as a player and to understand defensive concepts," Brown said.

ESPN wrote:
Williams will forego senior season

USC wide receiver Damian Williams will skip his senior season and declare for the NFL draft, he announced Friday.

Williams led the Trojans in receiving the past two seasons.

"It was a difficult decision, but I am blessed to have some great people around me to counsel me, including my family and Coach Carroll," Williams said in a statement.

"The NFL has been a dream of mine since I can remember and I feel that it is my time to take this step to the next level. I am proud to have earned my degree from USC, and that was an extremely important part of this decision for me and my family."

Williams was a Pac-10 first-team selection at wide receiver and punt returner and was named third team All-America. He had 70 receptions for 1,010 yards with six touchdowns this past season and was ranked sixth nationally in punt returns with a 14.2 yard average. Williams caught 58 passes for 869 yards with nine TDs as a sophomore.

Williams ranks 11th on USC's career receiving list with 128 catches

January 8th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Earl thomas has entered his name into the draft mix.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/n ... id=4810269

January 9th, 2010, 9:59 am
NFL Team Captain

Don't know much about Thomas, but from reading the comments from the Texas fans, they seem to think pretty highly of him. Could he be the ball hawking safety we need? They say he is a big hitter as well.

January 9th, 2010, 2:31 pm
RIP Killer

Don't know much about Thomas, but from reading the comments from the Texas fans, they seem to think pretty highly of him. Could he be the ball hawking safety we need? They say he is a big hitter as well.

Earl Thomas will be gone in round one, and it would be too early to take him at #2. He seems to be better as a coverage safety than as a run support guy, but he's pretty good at both. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Pittsburgh take him at the #18 spot.

January 9th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next