View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Kiffin USC New Head Coach at USC (USC New Coach Search) 
RIP Killer

Sources: Kiffin to USC
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services
Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has agreed in principle to become the next head coach at Southern California, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Chris Low on Tuesday.

Kiffin would replace Pete Carroll, who jumped to the NFL as coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach, led the Volunteers for only one season.

Sources told ESPN Kiffin will bring his father and defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin, and assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron to Southern Cal with him, and wide receivers coach Kippy Brown will be named interim head coach at Tennessee.

Kiffin has been on the move of late. He was 7-5 in his one season at Tennessee and 5-15 in one-plus seasons with the Raiders before being fired in September 2008.

He was a member of the USC coaching staff from 2001-06.

Several presumptive candidates to replace Carroll had dropped out of the running in the 24 hours after Carroll officially announced his resignation. Former USC linebacker Jack Del Rio committed to staying in Jacksonville on Tuesday, while Jeff Fisher and Mike Riley showed no public interest despite their Trojans ties.

The looming shadow of NCAA sanctions likely worried some coaches, but it can't change the fact USC offers an extremely attractive position with everything necessary to succeed right away: a rich local talent base, ample talent already on hand, a glowing history and a large, wealthy alumni base eager to keep winning.

Quarterback Matt Barkley has said that he is staying at Southern Cal despite the departures of the three coaches to which he was closest: Carroll, Jeremy Bates and Steve Sarkisian.

"It's just a great place to be, and a great place to live," he said. "We've got everything going for us."

Athletic director Mike Garrett was thought to be in charge of the search, but the elusive former Heisman Trophy winner has barely spoken in public for months, shying away from any chance of getting trapped into talking about the NCAA's various investigations into his beleaguered department.

Tailback Allen Bradford and Barkley were among the leaders who called a team meeting before the offseason conditioning program began Tuesday, while receiver Brice Butler and Barkley planned to call all of USC's prospective recruits to urge them to stick with the Trojans.

"I would just tell them what my dad told me: 'Don't commit because of a coach, because that can change,'" said Butler, who came to USC from Georgia. "You've got to commit because of a program, and this is USC."

Kiffin to USC!?

January 12th, 2010, 9:58 pm
QB Coach

Report: Kiffin to be USC's next head coach
Posted by Keith Arnold on January 12, 2010 8:23 PM ET
Scott Wolf of the Daily News, a guy who has been incredibly plugged into the USC program, is reporting that he has two sources that are telling him that Lane Kiffin will be named USC's next football coach.

(If this sounds like Ferris Bueller at 31 Flavors, don't blame me...)

Kiffin's name just vaulted to the head of the search -- a search that started today with Jack Del Rio, moved to Steve Mariucci, brought Herm Edwards into the story, and also had Steve Sarkisian's name get bounced around.

Kiffin's move to USC from Tennessee after just one season would be a seismic shift, and some Vols message boards are already having a nuclear meltdown.

January 12th, 2010, 10:22 pm
1st Round Pick

Quote:
Report: Kiffin to be USC's next head coach
Posted by Keith Arnold on January 12, 2010 8:23 PM ET
Scott Wolf of the Daily News, a guy who has been incredibly plugged into the USC program, is reporting that he has two sources that are telling him that Lane Kiffin will be named USC's next football coach.

(If this sounds like Ferris Bueller at 31 Flavors, don't blame me...)

Kiffin's name just vaulted to the head of the search -- a search that started today with Jack Del Rio, moved to Steve Mariucci, brought Herm Edwards into the story, and also had Steve Sarkisian's name get bounced around.

Kiffin's move to USC from Tennessee after just one season would be a seismic shift, and some Vols message boards are already having a nuclear meltdown.

This is whats wrong with college football. The NCAA needs to do something. There is no way he should be allowed to coach any team this season except Tennesse. a Player who transfers school has to sit out a year a coach should too especially if he goes after a job that is considered probaly a latteral move. The Guy didnt go from say Cincinatti to Notre Dame he went from an SEC school to a Pac 10 school

January 12th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Any chance of RichRod taking the Vols job?

{fingers crossed and vowing to believe in that invisible dude up in the sky if he makes it happen}

January 13th, 2010, 12:23 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Just another reason to dislike USC. Lane Kiffin is just seems like a smarmy snake oil salesman. I have a feeling that USC is not going to have the same aura that they did under Pete Carrol as Tennessee found out this year. There's going to be something else that goes wrong, be it in player conduct or compliance.

That being said he's a hell of a recruiter. I'm just glad that he'll be on the left cost and us midwesterners won't have to hear his constant jabs at the enemy of the week. His mouthpiece just got louder by going to USC, but at least its farther away from me.

January 13th, 2010, 10:27 am
RIP Killer

I'm hoping this coaching shake-up draws some recruits away from these schools and too some Big Ten schools. OSU at least is in contention with talent considering schools like Florida, USC, Tennessee, Texas, etc.

January 13th, 2010, 11:13 am
Veteran General Manager

Any chance of RichRod taking the Vols job?

{fingers crossed and vowing to believe in that invisible dude up in the sky if he makes it happen}

And I'll hold you to that vow. new_angel.gif new_angel.gif new_angel.gif new_angel.gif new_angel.gif new_angel.gif

January 14th, 2010, 1:50 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think its funny that Kippy Brown is the interim coach at Tennessee. Yes, THAT Kippy Brown. Yikes, they were left in a lurch.

January 14th, 2010, 11:43 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

There's a rumor floating around that Tennessee is interested in Lovie Smith.. with that rumor it was said they were interested in him before they hired Lane Kiffin.. so here's to hoping he goes there!

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 14th, 2010, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=4825852

Chow to stay at UCLA and not join Kiffin at USC.

January 14th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2