View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dwyer in the 2nd? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Dwyer in the 2nd?
I'm starting to think that Jonathan Dwyer will fall out of the 1st round. We do need a quality rb

January 13th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Cant take the risk on Dwyer. While he has looked good this year, nobody knows how much of it is him and how much of it is the system. Hopefully we find out more at the combine (he is a senior and going right?). If we are going to take a RB in rounds 2-3 , id rather be 100% sure he isnt a "System guy".

January 13th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Cant take the risk on Dwyer. While he has looked good this year, nobody knows how much of it is him and how much of it is the system. Hopefully we find out more at the combine (he is a senior and going right?). If we are going to take a RB in rounds 2-3 , id rather be 100% sure he isnt a "System guy".

Dwyer is/was a junior, but that doesn't preclude him from participating in the Combines. It just means he can't show his stuff in the Senior Bowl. Combine invitations to declared underclassmen will most likely include Dwyer.

January 13th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Im a tard. I knew they were seperate and that the combine is whoever they want to invite, but for some reason was putting them together in my head. Thanks for the clarification.

January 13th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

I have'nt watched him a whole lot but from what I've seen of him, I thought he was pretty good and they don't really have a great QB soI just assumed that he was carrying the load plus he's a big RB which we could use. Do you really think he's a system back?

January 15th, 2010, 4:26 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I really don't know what to make of Dwyer. Georgia Tech runs one of the goofiest offenses in all of college football, so it's difficult to get a read on him. I think close to half of his carries and most of his yardage has come off of pitches, and that won't be happening in the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't use a 1st or early 2nd on him, but you never know.

January 15th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I really don't know what to make of Dwyer. Georgia Tech runs one of the goofiest offenses in all of college football, so it's difficult to get a read on him. I think close to half of his carries and most of his yardage has come off of pitches, and that won't be happening in the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't use a 1st or early 2nd on him, but you never know.

I have no reason specifically to doubt dwyer. But we have good reasons not to trust his yardage numbers/etc.

They are running Paul Johnsons Triple Options old School Running attack. The QB isnt a prolific passer, but accounts for 40% of the Running game himself, and almost every Single Play is a read option Run.

Since he ius a Junior and cant play int he Senior Bowl, allw e will have to go on is Combine #s, and we all know about "Workout Warriors". If he fell he would be worth a look, but I wouldnt draft him even with our 3rd round pick (its basically a low 2nd round pick), because he could basically just be Kevin Smith pt 2.

January 15th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

Guys I will say this, I have a man crush on Dwyer! I know there is some question marks on the style of offense run at Tech, but watching his game film reminded me of another RB that I had a man crush on a couple of years ago: Rashard Mendenhall.

I would love to see Dwyer slip to 4th, but I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger in the 3rd. (Unless of course some unbelievable value is there)

Jonathan Dwyer
Height:5'11"
Weight:229 lbs.
Arm Length:31 in.
Hand Size:8 5/8 in.
College:Georgia Tech
Conference:ACC

Overview:
Dwyer is a big, powerful ball carrier that has had a lot of production at Georgia Tech but some of the numbers could be inflated due to the style of offense the Yellow Jackets run. The triple option tends to put ball carriers in wide open run lanes that won’t always be available to the pro style attack. He is a one-cut ball carrier that will stick his foot in the ground and hit the seam at full speed. He shows good balance on contact, runs through his share of arm tackles and shows surprising speed for his size. He is the kind of back that most teams are looking for as a featured ball carrier but will need some work on the passing game as far as blocking or running routes out of the backfield.

Stengths:
Dwyer has an outstanding blend of bulk, size and speed for the position. Was highly-productive in college. Shows a competitive fire and consistently battles for extra yards. Flashes good blocking ability. Has displayed some downfield receiving skills. Very durable performer capable of carrying the load at the next level.

Weakness:
Has outstanding size but can struggle to keep his weight down at times. Played in an option system not often seen in today’s college game resulting in some inflated stats. Lacks the elusiveness to turn nothing into something and make multiple defenders miss.

March 18th, 2010, 9:44 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Dwyer looked fat at the combine, and ran a slow 40.

March 19th, 2010, 7:56 am
Pro Bowl Player

Dwyer looked fat at the combine, and ran a slow 40.

Even his college coach said he's a fat bastard.

March 19th, 2010, 10:06 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Dwyer performed better and looked better at his pro day. However, the word is that he has always struggled with his weight, and that's an issue that warrants further investigation.

I would say pass. I think that better value can be had in rounds three or four to get a running back.

Toby Gerhart
Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Montario Hardesty
LeGarrette Blount
James Starks
Joique Bell

Later round possibilities
Charles Scott
Andre Dixon
Jake Sharp
Alfonso Smith
Deji Karim

The more I read and see about Karim, the more I like the idea of the Lions taking a flyer on him in round five.

March 19th, 2010, 10:19 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Dwyer performed better and looked better at his pro day. However, the word is that he has always struggled with his weight, and that's an issue that warrants further investigation.

I would say pass. I think that better value can be had in rounds three or four to get a running back.

Toby Gerhart
Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Montario Hardesty
LeGarrette Blount
James Starks
Joique Bell

Charles Scott
Andre Dixon
Jake Sharp
Alfonso Smith
Deji Karim

The more I read and see about Karim, the more I like the idea of the Lions taking a flyer on him in round five.

I really like Ben Tate. I think he was a bit of a victim of circumstance during a rough period at Auburn. His athleticism is off the charts. Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Stewart and he'll probably be available in round 3.

March 19th, 2010, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

Toby Gerhart
Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Montario Hardesty
LeGarrette Blount
James Starks
Joique Bell

Charles Scott
Andre Dixon
Jake Sharp
Alfonso Smith
Deji Karim

I really like Ben Tate. I think he was a bit of a victim of circumstance during a rough period at Auburn. His athleticism is off the charts. Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Stewart and he'll probably be available in round 3.

He might, but he might not. I have seen some project him as a second round pick, and I can understand that. The only thing working against Tate was a lack of production this past season, comparatively speaking. If he's available at the top of round three, the Lions should definitely give him strong consideration. I currently consider him the fifth best RB available (behind Spiller, Matthews, Best and Dwyer...though it's very close between him and Dwyer). For a team looking for a full time back, they could very well have him ranked ahead of Best.

March 19th, 2010, 12:30 pm
Team MVP

I dont want Dwyer. If he has trouble with his weight, then NO. With guys like Best, Mathews, Tate, Blount, Karim, we can take one of those guys.

Actually, i just watched some stuff on Deji Karim...that guy is phenomenal. If we can get this guy at round 3 or 4, I think we should do it. The guy ran a 4.37 forty, so hes definetly fast.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 19th, 2010, 12:49 pm

I'm sure Mayhew and Schwartz will just blow our socks off with who ever they get at RB 8)

March 21st, 2010, 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next