View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Draft Offense!!! 
Ya but that definetly wasnt directed towards you. Why would you think that?

M2's post was and so was WF's... I didn't see any other reason you'd post it unless you were following up and agreeing with the two prior posts... I guess you were just chiming in late and addressing the initial post in a cursory manner... Sorry for the confusion...

January 13th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think it would be ridiculous to even think offense at #2. My top 5 players are defensive players. Honestly, unless we trade down I will be upset if we don't come away with McCoy or Suh.

That being said, after the first round it is fair game. The second round, and after, could give us some great options for LG and/or the "eraser" for Calvin Johnson (note:I would prefer to sign Malcolm Floyd to add to our arsenal...Floyd, K.Smith, and Grew I think could add enough power to the offense as long as we fix the OL.)

Cornerback is probably our biggest need but unless if a prospect falls (or rises like Amari Spievey) I really don't think the value is there at our 2nd round pick. After the 2nd round it is near impossible to find a cornerback to compete early.

I personally want to stay away from DE unless its a later round development player. Defensive ends have a very high bust rate and take multiple years to develop.

January 14th, 2010, 12:36 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Just read this post on the D- NEWS website.

Posted by John Niyo (The Detroit News) on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Schwartz: Lions still may be on the offensive

Back at the Senior Bowl, Lions coach Jim Schwartz sat down for a Q&A with Yahoo! Sports.

Some excerpts ...

Schwartz on the value of offensive talent: "I think, historically (in the NFL), teams that are good on offense are more consistent year to year. I think offensive players are more consistent year to year and, on defense, guys will have good years but there is more volatility on defense from year to year. One year you might be really good but the next year you're not as good, things like that.

On last year's offensive-heavy draft: "Just because I'm a defensive coach doesn't mean we're going to go against our draft board. I started my career in scouting. I know the times when you're tempted to say we need to help this side of the ball or this position; generally, that's a poor strategy. We didn't choose to say we're going to take a quarterback in this draft. We evaluated the players and the quarterback was the guy we thought was the best player. We thought he was the best player on the board. When it came time to pick at No. 20, Pettigrew was the highest-rated player on our board. At 33, Delmas was the highest-rated player on our board. There really wasn't a strategy other than to take talent. We had the luxury -- actually, whatever is the opposite of luxury " that we didn't have any position where we weren't going to take a player. And we're probably going to be in the same position this year, except at quarterback. Any other position, we'll be open to."

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z0fvl5F4FD

February 18th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2