View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Declared Underclassmen 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Detroit News wrote:
MSU linebacker Greg Jones to return for senior season
Eric Lacy / The Detroit News
East Lansing -- Michigan State All-American linebacker Greg Jones said Wednesday the NFL draft can wait.

Two days before the draft's early entry deadline, Jones said he would return to MSU for his senior season.

"I always felt like I was leaning toward coming back," said Jones, who added he finalized his decision last week. "I want to try and make my teammates better."

Spartans coach Mark Dantonio received the news from Jones last Friday after he acquired information for his standout player from four NFL general managers and other league experts.

January 13th, 2010, 2:53 pm
RIP Killer

Is there a chance that Donovan Warren slips to the second round and if so would you take him there?

Yes and no. Yes, Donovan Warren will DEFINITELY be available at the top of the second round. And it would be a reach to take him with the number 34 pick, to say the least. Now, if he slips into round three, I would definitely consider him depending on who else is available at that time. As much as the Lions need to get cornerbacks, I'd rather not see them reach for one or take one out of desperation when another quality player is available at another area of some need.

For instance:

Lions get DT Gerald McCoy in round one
Lions take DE Greg Hardy in round two
In round three the Lions have a chance to take Donovan Warren, but OG Mike Johnson is still available. Providing they haven't signed a quality OG free agent, I'd rather see them take Johnson. Why? Because I have him rated as a mid-second rounder whereas I have Warren as a late second to early third round pick.

January 13th, 2010, 3:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

ESPN wrote:
Romeus to play senior season at Pitt

Pittsburgh defensive end Greg Romeus said Wednesday he will pass on the NFL draft to stay in school.

"I want to gain another year of experience and have another shot at the Big East title," Romeus told ESPN's Joe Schad.

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Romeus was considered a potential first-round pick as a junior. He had 135 tackles and an interception in Pitt's 10-3 season, which culminated in a victory over North Carolina in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Damn. He was one of the guys I was hoping the Lions would get in the 2nd round.

He was my favorite DE this season, but I'm glad he's staying. He wasn't going to be drafted #2 overall and I would of been shocked if he fell to their 2nd round pick. Romeus and Quinn (UNC) should be the top DEs next year. Quinn will only be a JR but I can't see him staying for his SR year. Detroit should have a good shot at one of them next season.

January 13th, 2010, 6:07 pm
RIP Killer

What is the prestige of a "Big East Title?"

January 13th, 2010, 6:14 pm

The Highest prestige any big east player can hope for (not like they will win a Nat Champ or even get to play for 1), and access to a BCS Bowl.

January 13th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Nope... the highest prestige for Big East player is even getting into the NFL ;)

January 13th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Depends on the player. if the NFL is a foregone conclusion that they will at least get drafted, then I can understand wanting to continue to play fort Pride instead of $$$. A lot of players do that. Sometimes they break something and lose millions. Pride, team pride especially, can be like that.

January 13th, 2010, 9:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

M2K, I don't think you can say, "Donovan Warren will DEFINITELY be available at the top of the second round". Several people have him ranked as the 2nd or 3rd best CB in the draft, so he COULD go in the 1st round.

Personally, I'm on the fence regarding his NFL potential. I believe he has the size, speed, and skill to succeed at the next level, but his production hasn't really shown that. I thought he played oustanding for a freshman in Lloyd Carr's last year as coach, but it has declined somewhat since. The question scouts have to answer is whether that is because of him or the scheme/coaching? I think the latter has a lot to do with it, but people may have different opinions about that.

January 14th, 2010, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

M2K, I don't think you can say, "Donovan Warren will DEFINITELY be available at the top of the second round". Several people have him ranked as the 2nd or 3rd best CB in the draft, so he COULD go in the 1st round.

Bet me. Donovan Warren isn't nearly as good as Darius Butler was, and Butler was picked in the second round by New England last season.

slybri19 wrote:
Personally, I'm on the fence regarding his NFL potential. I believe he has the size, speed, and skill to succeed at the next level, but his production hasn't really shown that. I thought he played oustanding for a freshman in Lloyd Carr's last year as coach, but it has declined somewhat since. The question scouts have to answer is whether that is because of him or the scheme/coaching? I think the latter has a lot to do with it, but people may have different opinions about that.

I agree with what you say here. I think he has all the measurables to be very good. However, if teams see him as a "system" player, his stock will fall. If a team looks at him and says his productivity decline was him and not the system, his stock will drop even more.

Personally, I have him as my fifth rated CB, behind Haden, Robinson, Ghee and Cox. Ghee and Cox are both a little taller and bigger than Warren, hence my putting them ahead of him. In my opinion, Robinson is a much better player than Warren.

January 14th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Oh boy. A Big 10 fan picking on the Big East...that's rich. :roll:

January 14th, 2010, 2:31 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

Yeah... I don't need to even try and back up the differences between the Big Ten and the Big East...

January 14th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Bet me.

You're the one that made an absolute statement, while I did not. I just suggested that he COULD go in the 1st, while you stated that he DEFINITELY would not. That's not something that I would usually bet on, but if you want to make it a signature bet, I could live with that. If you win, I have to use whatever signature you want for 30 days. If I win, you have to use whatever signature I decide upon for 30 days. Deal?

January 14th, 2010, 5:56 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Bet me.

You're the one that made an absolute statement, while I did not. I just suggested that he COULD go in the 1st, while you stated that he DEFINITELY would not. That's not something that I would usually bet on, but if you want to make it a signature bet, I could live with that. If you win, I have to use whatever signature you want for 30 days. If I win, you have to use whatever signature I decide upon for 30 days. Deal?

Done and done.

January 14th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

slybri19 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Bet me.

Done and done.

Oh snap! Witness!

January 15th, 2010, 10:36 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

mwill2 wrote:
steensn wrote:

Yeah... I don't need to even try and back up the differences between the Big Ten and the Big East...

I started a thread in the NCAA football forum so you can take a stab at it. :wink:

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13097

January 15th, 2010, 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next