View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Possibilities of trading the 1st round pick 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I just thought of something that might increase the possibility of trading down. Because of the possible uncapped year and it taking 6 years to become an UFA instead of 4, there might be much more movement on the RFA market. Right now, Seattle and San Francisco are the only teams with two 1st round picks, but that will probably change prior to the draft.

Teams that are currently in the playoffs will be limited when it comes to signing UFAs because of the "Final 8 Plan", so they may turn to RFA instead. In most cases, they will have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick to sign players like Brandon Marshall, Shawne Merriman, Elvis Dumervil, Miles Austin, etc. to offer sheets. The teams gaining those extra picks may attempt to move up to acquire a player to take them over the top per se. While not likely, it certainly is possible.

January 13th, 2010, 12:11 am
Hall of Fame Player

I just hope that the Lions pick one spot ahead of the Redskins. They will certainly have a new coach next year who will probably want his own QB, and Snyder has already begun scouting Clausen and McCoy. Anybody behind them who wants a QB may be willing to trade up to the Lions' spot because of it. While Seattle is a possibility, Buffalo will have a new coach who will probably want his own QB too, so I think they might be more likely to pull the trigger.

And the last thing the Redskins need is Defensive Linemen.

January 14th, 2010, 2:20 am
RIP Killer

I just hope that the Lions pick one spot ahead of the Redskins. They will certainly have a new coach next year who will probably want his own QB, and Snyder has already begun scouting Clausen and McCoy. Anybody behind them who wants a QB may be willing to trade up to the Lions' spot because of it. While Seattle is a possibility, Buffalo will have a new coach who will probably want his own QB too, so I think they might be more likely to pull the trigger.

While it's possible a team will look to make a deal with Detroit, in all likelihood anyone moving up to get ahead of the 'skins for a QB is going to call Tampa Bay first. Why? Because I'd much rather get my future QB at third pick money than second pick money. The only way Tampa Bay won't take the deal is if the offer is garbage, Suh is off the board, or the team making the offer is too far down in the first round to their liking.

It would be really cool if a couple teams got into a sort of bidding war, and one of them decided to up the ante by dealing with Detroit on draft day.

There was something said about teams rarely moving into the top five for any player that doesn't play QB. If memory serves me, the year we drafted Calvin Johnson Denver actually made us a very generous offer for that pick with the intention of taking CJ. Detroit was on the verge of accepting the deal, but then El Buffoon nixed the deal. Denver was offering something like their first, second and fifth round picks from that year, plus their first, third and seventh the following year? Something remarkable like that.....and it's not an urban legend. Several sports writers attested to the fact that the deal was on the table.

As much as I like CJ, I wish Millen would have pulled the trigger on that one. Of course, he would have just gone ahead and f-ed up the picks...

January 14th, 2010, 1:02 pm

M2K, that quote from me was made on December 12th before the draft order was set. I knew the best position to trade out of would be directly ahead of the Redskins and that obviously didn't happen. Now, Tampa is in the best position to trade instead of the Lions, which is what I was hoping for at the time.

January 14th, 2010, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

M2K, that quote from me was made on December 12th before the draft order was set. I knew the best position to trade out of would be directly ahead of the Redskins and that obviously didn't happen. Now, Tampa is in the best position to trade instead of the Lions, which is what I was hoping for at the time.

Oops....sorry. No offense intended. :oops:

January 14th, 2010, 1:17 pm
RIP Killer

I agree Sly, unless the Rams pass on Suh for a QB and someone covets Suh more than the Lions, like TB. It's possible that TB falls so much in love with Suh, and they have a need for a Suh type DT, that they are willing to swap 1st and we get their second. Dreaming, yes... but I'll dig myself even further into a dream hole. We swap them first and now are in position to move back again because we are in that the best location to trade because of the Redskins who are also in need of a QB someone else covets. That could allow us to move back to maybe Seattle's 1st and get both their first for ours?

That would give us 2 mid first and 2 high seconds... I love dreams...

January 14th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Heisman Winner

A lot of folks on here are seemingly of the opinion that Suh is the whip, and McCoy is a big step down. I think this line of reasoning is wrong. McCoy and Suh are the top quality DTs, and the dropoff occurs after those two. Suh and McCoy are just about the same, and if the Lions have only McCoy to choose from that 's OK with me. Along those lines, if Suh is gone that makes McCoy the lone top 5 value at DT, and therefore, a valuable pick. IF Suh and McCoy are both available at #2, there is no pressure to get to #2 to get one of those DTs, since one will be there at #3. If Suh or McCoy is gone, the Lions can entertain trades or take the stud DT.

January 15th, 2010, 11:03 am

Steensn, I'll admit that I've already dreamed up the same scenario that you came up with, but I consider it very unlikely. It's not impossible, but the odds of it actually taking place are very slim. Seatle giving up #6, their 2nd rounder, and a 2011 pick is more realistic, but even that is a longshot.

January 15th, 2010, 1:37 pm
RIP Killer

January 15th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Junior Varsity

Driving home this evening in Columbus, the local ESPN show were discussing Pro Football and were adamant Cleveland take a QB at the 7 position. But they openly speculated that both Claussen and Bradford would be gone by the 7th pick when Cleveland drafts. They were speculating about trading up, but they then dismissed it as "nobody wants to trade down in this day and age."

Would you take the 7th and a second from Cleveland for the #2?

January 15th, 2010, 10:46 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Here's Killer's take on why we might be in a better position than TB. Fairly convincing--but even he says it probably won't happen:

Killer wrote:
And let me anticipate a question - some of you will think that Tampa Bay, at No. 3, is in the best spot because teams will know the Lions won't take a quarterback, so why not just deal with the Bucs? Here's why - a team like the Redskins, for instance, wouldn't want to move up to No. 3 and then potentially get leapfrogged by another team that goes up to No. 2. If a team really wants a quarterback, they'll deal with the Lions.

Again, all of this is fun to discuss but, in the end, the Lions will likely be sitting at No. 2 on draft day.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... would.html

January 15th, 2010, 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Driving home this evening in Columbus, the local ESPN show were discussing Pro Football and were adamant Cleveland take a QB at the 7 position. But they openly speculated that both Claussen and Bradford would be gone by the 7th pick when Cleveland drafts. They were speculating about trading up, but they then dismissed it as "nobody wants to trade down in this day and age."

#7 , 2nd Rounder

& 4th (this draft or 3rd next draft)

January 16th, 2010, 12:11 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

columbuscrowd wrote:

#7 , 2nd Rounder

& 4th (this draft or 3rd next draft)

Id take that.

1. We wouldnt have to pay as much for that pick
2. We STILL could get a defensive playmaker with that pick that would greatly improve that position.
3. We gained a couple more pick.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 16th, 2010, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know WHAT these people you bring up were drinking/smoking/eating, but the idea that nobody wants to trade down is utterly ridiculous. Most teams in the top five DO want to trade down, because they are teams that need multiple picks to improve, not just one big starter. However, teams don't want to trade UP into the top five, unless they give very little in return. No one wants to be saddled with a big contract on a player, just in case that guy turns out to be a bust.

In regards to what it would take for Cleveland to trade up, it would take much more than just a second rounder. Sorry, but I'm not thinking of the pick value chart, I am thinking of the idea that at #2 the Lions can get a high caliber player, like Suh, McCoy or Berry. However, at #7 none of those guys will be there. As such, it would be in the Lions best interests to demand more.

I'd say, #7, 2nd rounder, 5th rounder, plus a third rounder next year.

If the Browns don't feel Quinn or Anderson are their man, and they want their pick of the QB litter this season, they'd take it.

Another option would be for the Browns to send us their #7, 2nd rounder plus a quality player or two who don't have ridiculous contracts, or are over the hill.

January 16th, 2010, 4:24 pm
QB Coach

I'm amazed nobody has posted this article yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/league-proposes-immediate-changes-to-rookie-pay/

If this happens, rookies won't be making the crazy salaries they are now, effective with this upcoming draft. That would make trading down much easier.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 16th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next