View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 DE Brandon Graham 
RIP Killer

Based on his measurables, it would seem Graham is better suited as a 34 OLB than a 43 DE. As for getting out of his stance quickly, it's been a couple months since he played, so I'd give him a day to knock the rust off before I judge him on that. What he should have done is looked at playing the East-West Shrine Game as a warm up for today.

Anthony Dixon looked pretty good in the Shriners Game. Ran the ball hard, ran through some arm tackles, made some guys miss....not bad. It will be interesting to see what he can do against better competition.

January 25th, 2010, 11:50 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Michigan's Brandon Graham could slip to Lions at No. 34
By Tom Kowalski
January 26, 2010, 11:15AM

The Detroit Lions, who gave up 494 points last year -- the fourth-worst defensive effort in NFL history, will be looking for a lot of defensive help in this draft and it's possible they could take two linemen with their first two picks.

As it stands now, the Lions are expected to take either Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy with their first-round pick (second overall). In the second round, there are early indications that Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham could be available at Detroit's 34th overall pick.

"He's a guy I really like,'' said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's top draft analyst. "He has a solid second-round grade.''

Some early draft projections had Graham going in the bottom of the first round, but Mayock said there are some questions about Graham's game. Some of those will be answered this week at the Senior Bowl. Graham is among the players on the North team who are being coached by the Detroit Lions' staff.

Mayock said the first time he watched tape of Graham he was reminded of former Wolverine LaMarr Woodley, who was a second-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2007. Woodley didn't start in his rookie season but has started the last two years and was named to the Pro Bowl this season.

"They have a similar build,'' Mayock said. "(Graham) is not a top-level pass rusher, he's more stout and you know he can stop the run. But does he have the technique and explosion to win in the pass-rush game?''

Mayock also said that some teams will look at Graham as an end in a 4-3 defensive alignment and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. While Graham has to prove he can be a solid pass rusher, Mayock said Graham must also show that he can drop back into pass coverage if he's going to play in a 3-4.

One knock against Graham already is that at the Senior Bowl weigh-in, his arms only measured 30 ½ inches, which is considered short for a pass rusher.

Still, Graham appears to be the kind of defensive end the Lions are looking for -- someone who is solid against the run but can also generate some pass pressure. If the Lions draft Graham, look for him to start out on the left side and then, depending on his pass rush, he might switch to the right side.

I agree with M2K that Graham may be better suited as a 3-4 OLB, but I wouldn't rule him out as a 4-3 DE either. I'm also not sure if I would take him at #34, but if the Lions could pick up an extra mid 2nd rounder, he could be a possibility there.

January 26th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I've read in 3 or 4 different places where Graham had a great first day...

Here's one

Quote:
Michigan’s Brandon Graham was unstoppable on the edge. He beat Virginia Tech’s Sergio Render with a quick shoulder dip, then bull-rushed a blocker (sorry, I forget which one) with tremendous burst and pad level.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_tw...or_bowl_notes/

At some point people just get silly with the measurables...

January 26th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Team MVP

If Iupati isnt available at our 2nd pick, id take him without a doubt. I personally dont want to find out next year that hes doing very well and we COULD have had him (LaMarr Woodley, David Harris). I know we need corners, but if I were building a team, I wouldnt want to pass on quality lineman, especially when those lineman are a huge need and not just a luxury.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 26th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Mlive wrote:
By Tom Kowalski

The Detroit Lions, who gave up 494 points last year -- the fourth-worst defensive effort in NFL history, will be looking for a lot of defensive help in this draft and it's possible they could take two linemen with their first two picks.

As it stands now, the Lions are expected to take either Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy with their first-round pick (second overall). In the second round, there are early indications that Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham could be available at Detroit's 34th overall pick.

"He's a guy I really like,'' said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's top draft analyst. "He has a solid second-round grade.''

Some early draft projections had Graham going in the bottom of the first round, but Mayock said there are some questions about Graham's game. Some of those will be answered this week at the Senior Bowl. Graham is among the players on the North team who are being coached by the Detroit Lions' staff.

Mayock said the first time he watched tape of Graham he was reminded of former Wolverine LaMarr Woodley, who was a second-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2007. Woodley didn't start in his rookie season but has started the last two years and was named to the Pro Bowl this season.

"They have a similar build,'' Mayock said. "(Graham) is not a top-level pass rusher, he's more stout and you know he can stop the run. But does he have the technique and explosion to win in the pass-rush game?''

Mayock also said that some teams will look at Graham as an end in a 4-3 defensive alignment and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. While Graham has to prove he can be a solid pass rusher, Mayock said Graham must also show that he can drop back into pass coverage if he's going to play in a 3-4.

One knock against Graham already is that at the Senior Bowl weigh-in, his arms only measured 30 ½ inches, which is considered short for a pass rusher.

Still, Graham appears to be the kind of defensive end the Lions are looking for -- someone who is solid against the run but can also generate some pass pressure. If the Lions draft Graham, look for him to start out on the left side and then, depending on his pass rush, he might switch to the right side.

I agree with M2K that Graham may be better suited as a 3-4 OLB, but I wouldn't rule him out as a 4-3 DE either. I'm also not sure if I would take him at #34, but if the Lions could pick up an extra mid 2nd rounder, he could be a possibility there.

2 words, Elvis Dumervill

January 26th, 2010, 4:53 pm
slybri19 wrote:
Mlive wrote:
By Tom Kowalski

2 words, Elvis Dumervill

Two more words... Dwight Freeney

I can't stand when ppl. compare a player with a player of that size that has failed and suggest that this player is likely to fail too. There are all sorts of successful players in the NFL of all sorts of body types.

I don't think Graham is the next Freeney (his combine will be interesting though), but I definitely think he is better than Dumerville.

January 26th, 2010, 6:07 pm
RIP Killer

Great point about Freeney. I would be happy to get Graham, just not sure 100% if it is as the top of the 2nd. I'll need to see some more of him like combine numbers.

January 26th, 2010, 6:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Dumerville is a pro bowl starting DE in the NFL.

Graham is a College player hoping to play in the NFL. How can you possibly say he is better ?

Or were there stipulations to the comparison that werent mentioned (such as "At this stage in his career, He is better than Dumerville) ?

January 26th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Dumerville is a pro bowl starting DE in the NFL.

Graham is a College player hoping to play in the NFL. How can you possibly say he is better ?

Or were there stipulations to the comparison that werent mentioned (such as "At this stage in his career, He is better than Dumerville) ?

Sorry about that DJ, that reads wrong...

The failed careers isn't referring to Dumerville or Freeney (or, potentially, Graham). I thought that was obvious, but I can see where there is room for confusion. I just mean that there are all sorts of examples of players that "don't measure up" succeeding in the NFL.

Oh, and the "better than Dumerville" was his status as he was coming out of college...

January 26th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

January 26th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Well, that didn't last long - Mike Mayock says Lions won't get shot at Brandon Graham
By Tom Kowalski
January 27, 2010, 1:01PM
Going into the Senior Bowl, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock believed the Detroit Lions would have a shot at Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham in the second round (with the 34th overall pick).

After three days of practice with the North team (under the guidance of the Lions' coaching staff), Graham's stock has jumped dramatically. Mayock now says that Graham -- because he's proven he's got a quick first step and has some good pass-rush ability -- should be a value pick in the bottom third of the first round.

Another reason why there's a good chance Graham won't be there at Detroit's second-round pick is because of the expected "run'' on defensive linemen. While this draft is very deep in that position -- perhaps 12 or 13 could go in the first 35 picks -- once they start to get picked, teams will grab them quickly because they don't want to miss out.

The Lions would like the option of getting a defensive lineman in the second round but those odds appear to be shrinking. The Lions need some other players -- especially underclassmen -- to have big performances at the scouting combine in late February to push some of those defensive linemen down the draft boards.

Despite his short arms, Graham has really been putting on a show at the Senior Bowl practices. I agree with many others here that measurables aren't everything, but I think you missed the point I was trying to make. There are certain teams out there who view measurables as very important and won't draft players with certain characteristics. Some may refuse to draft an offensive or defensive lineman with arms shorter than 32". Others may demand that a QB be atleast 6'2". Still others won't even think of a WR unless he runs faster than a 4.5 40. Al Davis is a prime example of this, but there are others.

January 27th, 2010, 3:17 pm
RIP Killer

I think that his Senior Bowl performance is really going to be the make or break thing for him. It sounds like he is taking FULL advantage of it and he is even stating to turn me. I can't wait to see him play in the game against some of the best talent. Maybe he can even sack Mr. Tebow and show his ability to get to some of the most elusive players in college football.

January 27th, 2010, 3:37 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

[quote="slybri19"][quote="Mlive"]Well, that didn't last long - Mike Mayock says Lions won't get shot at Brandon Graham
By Tom Kowalski
January 27, 2010, 1:01PM

Another reason why there's a good chance Graham won't be there at Detroit's second-round pick is because of the expected "run'' on defensive linemen. While this draft is very deep in that position -- perhaps 12 or 13 could go in the first 35 picks -- once they start to get picked, teams will grab them quickly because they don't want to miss out.

The Lions would like the option of getting a defensive lineman in the second round but those odds appear to be shrinking. The Lions need some other players -- especially underclassmen -- to have big performances at the scouting combine in late February to push some of those defensive linemen down the draft boards.

That makes it all the more important for the Lions to take one with there first pick. If there is indeed a run on D-lineman in the first, that could be a good thing as some of these top CB's slide to the second.

January 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Mlive wrote:
By Tom Kowalski

Kowalski's is on drugs. I have been listening to live coverage of the Senior bowl week. Brandon Graham has most likely played and practiced his way into a top 15 pick. Certainly, a top 25 pick. He won't be there for anyone in the 2nd round. Kowalski spells his name ski at the end because he is to dumb to spell toboggan.

January 28th, 2010, 1:48 am
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:
Mlive wrote:
By Tom Kowalski

Kowalski's is on drugs. I have been listening to live coverage of the Senior bowl week. Brandon Graham has most likely played and practiced his way into a top 15 pick. Certainly, a top 25 pick. He won't be there for anyone in the 2nd round. Kowalski spells his name ski at the end because he is to dumb to spell toboggan.

Though you're right, i wouldnt take up "jokes" as a profession. lol

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 28th, 2010, 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next