View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mike Iupati 
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Tough call on Wilson. Word is that he was VERY impressive, and he was hanging with the Ravens for some time. I could see them taking him 25th overall, since their needs at CB are almost as dire as ours.

However, fear not, for there is another whom we could take at #34, and that would be Perrish Cox. He's a big guy, showed up pretty well in Mobile, and would be an OK value there.

I've heard some mixed reviews about how Perrish looked in the first couple days of practice, more bad than good.

Quote:
6. Speaking of corners out of their element, Oklahoma State DB Perrish Cox definitely looks that way. The guy struggles to sit into his drop, has a tendency to get overextended with his footwork and is stiff when asked to turn and run. He also looked uncomfortable in off-coverage all day and needs a lot of work from a technique standpoint if he hopes to hold up in man at the next level.

As with Wilson, I've only heard good things. I used to think he could be had in the third but now if he's there in the second I think we'll take him.

As far as the Ravens, they have a more dire need at WR. I dunno if there are any worth taking at the end of the first round, but that's where I see them looking. Their top 4 WRs are free agents including Mason who may just retire. I could see them taking a corner, but with guys like Webb, Carr and Foxworth under contract (they also have Rolle who I think will retire and Fabian Washington and Frank Walker who are free agents) I think they will look to the mid rounds for someone.

Don't believe just one write up. I've read a couple other analysts who said Cox looked pretty good, and helped himself. With his size, if he doesn't work at CB, he could easily transition to FS, and be a natural ball hawker there, something else the Lions could use, since Delmas is more a run support type SS anyways.

As for Baltimore, none of the CBs you mention are top notch cover guys by any stretch of the imagination. Rolle is done, and Webb was OK as a starter, but they have nobody opposite him. Webb is a second corner, and Foxworth has never impressed me....he'd be better at nickel.

If a top WR is available for them, Baltimore will probably go that route. But Wilson put on a dramatic show all week, and that level of talent will be tough to ignore.

If Cox isn't of value, I personally believe Donovan Warren will still be on the board, and would be good at #34. I don't happen to think he's a first round talent, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong if someone snaps him up in the first 32.

January 30th, 2010, 3:34 pm
NFL Veteran

"A grabber and not a puncher."

January 30th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Very weird we havent heard mcuh commentary about this yet, but then the 1 analyst said he watch thee entire bowl game analyzing Mike I., and counted 5 Holding Penalties (not all called i think) in 1 game.

Then he gets a couple today. Not so sure Im said if he goes top 20 now, pushing someone else down. Last thing we need is more OL that have issues with Penalties.

January 30th, 2010, 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Round Pick

Very weird we havent heard mcuh commentary about this yet, but then the 1 analyst said he watch thee entire bowl game analyzing Mike I., and counted 5 Holding Penalties (not all called i think) in 1 game.

Then he gets a couple today. Not so sure Im said if he goes top 20 now, pushing someone else down. Last thing we need is more OL that have issues with Penalties.

He's Perfect for Us. Didnt you see the North drive the length of the field throw a 20 yard td pass and Have it called back because he was holding? Then Failing to pick up a 1st down they ended up with a field goal. Sounds just like us.

January 30th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I know that people have been saying that Iupati could play four positions on the OL, but I just don't see it. He didn't look good in practice at either OT spot and he was brutal in the game at RG. He did play fairly well at LG however, and that's where he should probably stay. Some teams may drop him a bit because of this, but I don't think it matters. Just look at Steve Hutchinson. I don't think (I could be wrong) that he's played anywhere but LG, but I'll take an All Pro at one position over an average player at several any day.

January 31st, 2010, 1:16 pm
Team MVP

I know that people have been saying that Iupati could play four positions on the OL, but I just don't see it. He didn't look good in practice at either OT spot and he was brutal in the game at RG. He did play fairly well at LG however, and that's where he should probably stay. Some teams may drop him a bit because of this, but I don't think it matters. Just look at Steve Hutchinson. I don't think (I could be wrong) that he's played anywhere but LG, but I'll take an All Pro at one position over an average player at several any day.

I agree Sly. He was in the spotlight playing LG, why change it? Its just like Berry. Why move him to CB when hes been absolutely amazing at safety.

I think the penalties and lack of position "flexibility" COULD drop him a few spots, but definetly not enough to drop him to our #34 pick.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 31st, 2010, 2:48 pm
RIP Killer

Teams don't pay attention to what happens in the game, just the practices. Why? Because the players are working under extremely difficult circumstances in the game, due to a different offense, different players around them, and only one week to get accustomed to it all.

Iupati's game performance doesn't matter one lick to the teams in the NFL. All that matters is what he was doing in the practices during drills, and what he will do during his upcoming work outs.

I still say that the latest he goes is #18 to the Steelers.

January 31st, 2010, 3:23 pm

But the way he played ing ames in college do matter. And apparently from an analyst whow atched his entire bowl game, watching him specifically on every offenssive snap, hes a Holder.

Not saying dont take him, but hopefully those stories circulate and get around and somehow he falls to our #4 - We cant afford to trade up to get him, and its a pipe dream (Im with you, I think he goes to the Steelers or another Playoff team that needs an LG Starter in the mid-late 1st, but you never know.

January 31st, 2010, 6:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

But the way he played ing ames in college do matter. And apparently from an analyst whow atched his entire bowl game, watching him specifically on every offenssive snap, hes a Holder.

Not saying dont take him, but hopefully those stories circulate and get around and somehow he falls to our #4 - We cant afford to trade up to get him, and its a pipe dream (Im with you, I think he goes to the Steelers or another Playoff team that needs an LG Starter in the mid-late 1st, but you never know.

However, if he was a "grabber" this entire year at Idaho, how come there was no word of that prior to the Senior Bowl? As I said, NFL teams don't even take what happens in the game to heart, they are more interested in what took place during the practices, and during those practices there was no mention of Iupati being a "grabber", just the most dominant OL on either squad. If he had been a grabber during the practices, it would have been put into print by at least one analyst. Yet not a single one said a word of that nature. Therein lies my reasoning that whatever was said about Iupati during the game is of no consequence.

January 31st, 2010, 7:48 pm

Fair enough. Good Reasoning. Id Still take him in less than a heartbeat at #34 (who wouldnt).

January 31st, 2010, 10:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Fair enough. Good Reasoning. Id Still take him in less than a heartbeat at #34 (who wouldnt).

If he's there at #34, I'd have to believe something was VERY wrong. But I'd still want the Lions to take him.

January 31st, 2010, 10:58 pm
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:

If he's there at #34, I'd have to believe something was VERY wrong. But I'd still want the Lions to take him.

I have no doubt the Lions would take him at #34, especially after being able to coach him for a week.

But i also have no doubt in my mind he'll be long gone before #34.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 1st, 2010, 12:20 am
NFL Veteran

Teams don't pay attention to what happens in the game, just the practices. Why? Because the players are working under extremely difficult circumstances in the game, due to a different offense, different players around them, and only one week to get accustomed to it all.

Iupati's game performance doesn't matter one lick to the teams in the NFL. All that matters is what he was doing in the practices during drills, and what he will do during his upcoming work outs.

I still say that the latest he goes is #18 to the Steelers.

I wouldn't say the game has zero bearing on the decision. Truth is everything does. You have to take it into account. There's such a thing as practice players who do well in practice but can't perform for whatever reason when the lights turn on. Conversely there are those lazy in practice but given the opportunity, do shine under the lights. Ideally they want a good practice player who translates it to gameday, but that's not always the case.

So, if people are going to boost Graham's stock because of his performance in the game, than Iupati is going to lose some brownie points for his holding penalties. Schwartz of all people hates those types of penalties. He has that clenched jaw effect we all come to know and love when a player holds.

The real value in the practices is what Schwartz mentioned, they get to spend an entire week getting to know the players: their mental makeup, how they practice, their weaknesses, personalites, the interaction to coaches and teammates etc... That versus spending 15 minutes at the combine, and about a day through limited invitations to the team facility.

I still contend that most of the decision making will be based on something that's already finished: the players body of work. It's just a matter of watching all that tape and sorting through them. I think too many people here put too much stock in these allstar games/combine and pro days. Those are tools for refining decisions. Not the end-all, be-all in the matter.

February 1st, 2010, 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I just had to throw this out there. The analyst who mentioned the holding 5 times should realize that the OL hold all the time. It is a matter of whether or not it is called.

February 1st, 2010, 1:34 am
NFL Veteran

The problem is that he was caught. With a TD negating one to boot.

Bad rap not good.

February 1st, 2010, 1:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next