View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mike Iupati 
Team MVP

The problem with Iupati is since he has really long arms (good), the holding is probably more noticeable (not good).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 1st, 2010, 10:02 am
RIP Killer

Gotta tell you I wasn't that impressed with him. His constant grabbing was the result of some other issues. He was slow off the ball a few times, footwork wasn't impressive, and he wasn't as strong as I had expected. That said, there is a lot more evaluating to do one him and I didn't watch any Idaho games this year so it is hard for me to really judge him.

February 1st, 2010, 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Well theres gotta be a reason hes been so hyped up, and is definetly the best guard in the draft. So he had one bad game, oh well. On the other hand, that is one IMPORTANT game.

Other than that, i thought he moved very well in my opinion, especially when pulling. The holding penalties, ya..those are definelty killers.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 1st, 2010, 11:43 am
1st Round Pick

Well theres gotta be a reason hes been so hyped up, and is definetly the best guard in the draft. So he had one bad game, oh well. On the other hand, that is one IMPORTANT game.

Other than that, i thought he moved very well in my opinion, especially when pulling. The holding penalties, ya..those are definelty killers.

Maybe the rest of the guards arent that good so he stands out as the best of the bunch :(

February 1st, 2010, 11:49 am
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:

Maybe the rest of the guards arent that good so he stands out as the best of the bunch :(

Man id hope not. But with guys like Mike Johnson, Sergio Renger, etc...i doubt thats the case.

February 1st, 2010, 12:05 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Lionman3 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Man id hope not. But with guys like Mike Johnson, Sergio Renger, etc...i doubt thats the case.

Yeah, Jon Asamoah from Illinois looks legit as well although he may be a late-round guy.

February 1st, 2010, 12:17 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As Stallion pointed out, every offensive lineman holds, so that's not such a big deal to me. With proper coaching, he can learn when and how to do it and when not to. If an OL can keep the defensive player in front of him, he'll get away with holding 99% of the time. It's when he reaches out as a player is trying to get around him that a flag is usually thrown.

February 1st, 2010, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

I just had to throw this out there. The analyst who mentioned the holding 5 times should realize that the OL hold all the time. It is a matter of whether or not it is called.

I agree. The analyst was watching Iupati like a hawk, almost as if he was looking for a chink in the armor. He saw him holding...whoopdeedoo. He wasn't looking at all the other linemen doing the same damn thing.

I understand Iupati got caught, at a most inopportune time. But I don't see his draft stock falling one iota over a small handful of plays.

As HB said, you have to look at the entire body of work prior to the game.

1. During the season, was Iupati continuously flagged for holding? To my knowledge, no.

2. During practices for the Senior Bowl, was he getting caught or corrected for holding? To my knowledge, no.

3. Was he facing perhaps the quickest DT in college football in Geno Atkins? Yes.

4. Are there DTs that quick in the NFL? Absolutely.

5. Will NFL coaching help him overcome his grabbing of someone that quick? In all likelihood, yes.

Remember, players are drafted not only for what they've accomplished in college, but for what their potential is to accomplish in the NFL. Iupati has excellent potential, and that's worth his being in the top 20, in my opinion.

February 1st, 2010, 9:00 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:

That's not it. There will be some pretty decent guards in rounds two and three....Vlad Ducasse, Jon Asamoah, Maurkice Pouncey, J.D. Walton, John Jerry......all should go in that range. Some were OTs in college, but that's typically the case. Ciron Black, after playing poorly and showing he doesn't have the lateral foot quickness necessary to play tackle in the NFL, might be a third round pick as an OG as well.

February 1st, 2010, 9:03 pm

I agree with M2K that it's a pretty decent class of OGs. It's not great, but teams could get value through the first three rounds and possibly into the fourth. All I know is that the Lions had better get one of them unless they address the position thru free agency or a trade first. Even then, I'd still like to see them pick one up in the mid rounds to add depth.

February 1st, 2010, 11:42 pm

I agree with M2K that it's a pretty decent class of OGs. It's not great, but teams could get value through the first three rounds and possibly into the fourth. All I know is that the Lions had better get one of them unless they address the position thru free agency or a trade first. Even then, I'd still like to see them pick one up in the mid rounds to add depth.
It is IMO a large upgrade over last years. I would like to see us pick up John Jerry in the 3rd.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:08 am
Team MVP

How would guys like Asamoah, Jerry, Johnson (to name a few) compare to our current LG starter, in your opinion?

I think any of those guys mentioned should be able to come in and start right away, and be an immediate upgrade.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:17 am

How would guys like Asamoah, Jerry, Johnson (to name a few) compare to our current LG starter, in your opinion?

I think any of those guys mentioned should be able to come in and start right away, and be an immediate upgrade.

I would not draft Asamoah prior to the 5th. He measured in with 30 inch arms which is a huge negative for offensive lineman.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:46 am

Idaho LG Mike Iupati makes good impression at Senior Bowl
By CARLOS MONARREZ
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Lions got a long look at Idaho left guard Mike Iupati at Saturday's Senior Bowl. The question is whether another team, such as Dallas, also liked Iupati enough to steal Iupati on draft day.

The Lions have the No. 2 pick and the No. 34 pick in the April 22-24 NFL draft. They have a gaping need at left guard that Iupati could fill. The Cowboys pick 27th and have an aging offensive line that Iupati could rejuvenate.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said he plans to stay put at the 27th spot, which has led to speculation that Iupati would be their likely pick.

Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was complimentary of Iupati and noted his multidimensional ability -- something coach Jim Schwartz covets in all players. Schwartz doted on Iupati so much last week that he even had to fend off charges of having a man crush on the 6-foot-6, 330-pound player.

Iupati's stock might rise higher than the late first round or early second round after a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

Draft experts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay did not place him in the first round of their initial mock drafts. But McShay wrote Monday that only Michigan's Brandon Graham improved his stock more than Iupati did last week. McShay also noted that just four guards have been drafted in the first round the past five years, and that Iupati "has a chance to join that exclusive club because he is capable of starting from Day 1."

Also, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock had Iupati rated as the No. 1 interior offensive lineman before Senior Bowl practice.

Yea, I don't think Iupati will fall to the 2nd round either. There's just too many teams in the mid to late 1st round that could use an OG.

February 2nd, 2010, 3:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The real question is, if he somehow lasts until say, 24-26, Do the Lions trade up to 25th or 26th to steal him from the Cowboys. I am not a Huge fan of trading up and giving up Picks, but you never know.

It doesnt necessarily have to even be picks we use to trade up, maybe trading a Medium quality player (Sims) or an Aging Vet to a Team that made it to the playoffs this year (peterson) to Move up 8-9 spots. If it was a pick, what kind of pick would it take to move up, Our 3rd or would our 4th (2nd pick in the round) be enough?

February 2nd, 2010, 5:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next