View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dan LeFevour gets advice from Lions' Scott Linehan 
Junior Varsity

Post Dan LeFevour gets advice from Lions' Scott Linehan
MOBILE, Ala. -- Dan LeFevour didn't win the Heisman Trophy or a national championship. He doesn't have his own cheering section at the Senior Bowl, complete with a woman holding a sign saying he is "God's gift to football fans." He is not mobbed by the media after every practice. He is not Tim Tebow.

But Central Michigan's star quarterback has much in common with Florida's QB this week. After a stellar college career, LeFevour is trying to show executives, coaches and scouts that he can adjust to the NFL style and succeed at the next level.

"He's coming from Central Michigan," said Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who is working with LeFevour because the Lions' staff is coaching the North in Saturday's game. "They play excellent football there. They play a tough schedule. So he's played people. He knows what it's like to go in big arenas and get himself ready to play.

"You've got to go out and do what you did when you left off in your bowl game. That's (to) be productive, move the team and play winning football."

Funny that Linehan should say that. LeFevour's last bowl game was the GMAC Bowl, played at the same site as the Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile. He threw for a touchdown with 1:17 left and rushed for a TD in the first overtime as the Chippewas beat Troy, 44-41, in double OT.

LeFevour was a touchdown machine in college. He is the NCAA Bowl Subdivision's all-time leader in touchdowns with 150 -- 102 passing, 47 rushing and one receiving. He is second in yards of total offense with 15,853. He is the only player in NCAA history with 12,000 passing yards and 2,500 rushing yards.

Like Tebow, he was an outstanding dual-threat quarterback. But like Tebow, he worked out of the shotgun in college and needs to show he can be productive under center in the NFL.

"Obviously, a lot of the game is under center," LeFevour said. "I was very limited. So just trying to get that done."

LeFevour said he has been taking snaps under center nonstop for the past two months. He has been working with a coach in Pensacola, Fla., for the past couple of weeks and will continue to do so in preparation for the NFL scouting combine next month in Indianapolis.

"We're just trying to polish his technique," said Zeke Bratkowski of Athletes' Performance Institute. "The big thing is working on his pass drops from under the center and his base fundamentals. And that's all we do. We spend a lot of time on that."

It has shown so far. While Tebow has had trouble just holding the ball after snaps -- at least Monday -- LeFevour has been fine.

"He hasn't had a snap problem," Linehan said. "He hasn't had any of the issues that guys that play every snap in the gun sometimes do in a game like this -- so far, anyway. It's something he's worked hard on.

"I think obviously he's no different than any quarterback that comes in the league. It's just understanding the multiple coverages that you have to attack in the passing game."

LeFevour is working hard on that, too. He seems to ask Linehan something after every snap. Linehan joked that LeFevour even asked him: "Am I wearing my socks right?" LeFevour shrugged and said: "I hate not knowing what the hell's going on." He's looking for information, not validation.

"It's not so much, 'Is that OK?' " Linehan said. "He's got a question. And that's what you want. You want a guy that's thinking the game all the time. ... He has all the skills to be in this league, and depending on how he develops, the sky's the limit for the guy."

I know his name hasn't been brought up in any post.. But I have personally watched many of this kids games and even though he dont have the big arm or the Flash of other big name QBS, i can tell you he has something! The kid wins games! I know im probably the only one here who thinks so, but i wouldn't mind at all if the lions took him around 4 or 5 if hes still there. (even though i don't think he will be) I heard the Seahawks are falling in love with the kid! Id just like to see him sit behind Staff and learn all he can form Linehan and maybe in a few years trade him for something of value if he turns out to be something good for us! Just my thoughts.. was wondering if anyone else had watched him play and what you thought?

February 1st, 2010, 4:25 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

I watched him play State this year and was one of the best QBs MSU faced for sure. Seemed like a smart and savvy player. Arm never really impressed me, however, and given the Lions multitude of other needs I just don't see them drafting a QB. You can always find project QBs undrafted in the NFL or on other teams PS or cut outright.

No way the Lions can afford a 4th or 5th rounder on this guy - sorry.

February 1st, 2010, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ive been a fan of his for 3 years now. Hes got the intangibles, and the Recognition. hes a Leader and a Very Smart Player. I think he will make a good pro QB, but is the type that will need to sit a year (or 2) behind a quality vet while he adjusts to the NFL. In addition, her may be best suited for a Wet Toast O scheme, or something that gnerally tops out at Intermediat passes. He is not a deep threat normally (but has great touch on his Long-Intermediate passes - see the 2 to Gilyard in the Senior Bowl).

Thats said, (1) The Lions cant afford a Draft pick on a QB, I expect them to resign Stanton to fight for 2nd/3rd string, and likely bring in a Vet like Rex G with Starting experience as the #2 / to compete with our #3. (2) I think he goes in the 3rd, or possibly even the 2nd to a team like the Hawks, or even Minnesota, so he won't be there even if we have a 4th/5th to spend on him.

February 1st, 2010, 5:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think it means that if Seattle is falling in love with him then they'll be going after Okung with the 6th and then Spiller at 14. Not a bad position to be in.

February 1st, 2010, 5:08 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I really like Dan LeFevour, but not for the Lions at this time. I could see a team like Seattle, Minnesota, or Denver taking a chance on the guy in the 3rd or 4th round. He may not have a big arm, so a WCO team would be the best fit, but he seems to have the "it" factor.

As for the Lions, I wouldn't draft a QB at all this year since they have too many other needs. Sign a veteran in free agency to compete with Stanton for the #2 job. Then, when Stanton is a FA in 2011, draft a QB in the mid rounds to develop. That's what I would do.

February 1st, 2010, 5:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I've also been a big fan of LeFevour, but I hope he does well with another team. As already mentioned the Lions can't use anything higher than 6th rounder and I'd say 7th-UDFA on a QB. I'm interested in seeing how Levi Brown looks in the Texas vs the Nation game and at the Combine. He could be a guy that fits in that area of the draft.

February 1st, 2010, 6:40 pm
National Champion

February 1st, 2010, 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]