View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mr. Irelavent? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Mr. Irelavent?
With the Lions having the 2nd pick. The Rams and the Lions will probably get an additional 7th round pick. With the Lions getting Mr. Irelavent.

Take a flyer on a developemental OT?

February 2nd, 2010, 7:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

February 2nd, 2010, 8:27 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Spell check only tells you that you spelled something wrong. I t doesn't offer suggested correct spelling.

I use spell check. But, after 10 attempts, all wrong, I gave up. :lol:

February 2nd, 2010, 8:54 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Didn't they take Lydon Murtha last year as their developmental OT and then cut him? Granted he would have just been a Practice Squad guy, like he is on the Dolphins, but it makes me wonder if he was that bad or they needed the roster spot for the secondary, considering all the injuries they had there this year. Maybe another CB, it doesn't hurt to have depth back there.

February 2nd, 2010, 10:20 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

My personal suggestion is that they take a flyer on a developmental corner!

February 2nd, 2010, 10:26 pm
I'd rather they draft a fast as hell KR/PR guy and see what he can do. It seems to me that most of the talent at the skill positions is long gone by the 7th round. If we can't get a 3rd round CB to pan out how the hell are we going to get a 7th round CB to do anything for us?

OLman I wouldn't mind, but I would count on him being added to the practice squad...

February 2nd, 2010, 10:43 pm

Just as long as this KR guy isn't like Kenny Moore. What a waste that was. I'm sure they could draft an "athlete" if I may use the parlance around college signing day. I think having speed would be a great thing, even if its just on the practice squad. Wasn't that kind of what they did with Adam Jennings, or was he not drafted?

February 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Just as long as this KR guy isn't like Kenny Moore. What a waste that was. I'm sure they could draft an "athlete" if I may use the parlance around college signing day. I think having speed would be a great thing, even if its just on the practice squad. Wasn't that kind of what they did with Adam Jennings, or was he not drafted?

Moore went to the Carolina Panthers, where he's made the active roster for the last two seasons. Keeping him around might have been a good idea, actually. But I agree with you in general--7th round is a good time to take a risk on a guy with good measureables (size, speed, whatever).

February 2nd, 2010, 11:53 pm

Why is it, then, that the Lions couldn't make him worth a pinch of sour owl poop? I know the big cheese at the time was the worlds worst talent evaluator but if the guy has some speed and wiggle then you'd think you could find a spot for him. Then again Marinelli wanted to keep 12 DLmen so roster spots were at a premium.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Why is it, then, that the Lions couldn't make him worth a pinch of sour owl poop? I know the big cheese at the time was the worlds worst talent evaluator but if the guy has some speed and wiggle then you'd think you could find a spot for him. Then again Marinelli wanted to keep 12 DLmen so roster spots were at a premium.

Besides Millen and Moronelli not being able to judge and value talent, the one thing people forget is that the transition time from college to the nfl, isn't an overnight thing for 90% of the players. Most take 3 years to adjust, just like they took 3 years to adjust from high school to college. You'll get those occasional freshmen phenoms, but they aren't the norm.

Derrik Williams might turn out to be something special. But it didn't happen in year 1. Same with Aaron Brown. Kenny Moore needed some time to adjust and he was never given it here. When Roster spots are a premium, the unproven are often the first to go.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:24 am

Well sure, the roster spot comment was more of a dig at the former administration. They were dumb a$$es and we all knew it. My beef with that is he was a 5th rounder which could have been used on another position of need. Sure, return man was a need, but it just appears to be such a friggin waste. Now Derrick Williams is a 3rd rounder and I take the same position on his pick. I hope he can pan out, just like I did for Moore, but at least DWill is getting a shot.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:34 am
1st Round Pick

Didn't they take Lydon Murtha last year as their developmental OT and then cut him? Granted he would have just been a Practice Squad guy, like he is on the Dolphins, but it makes me wonder if he was that bad or they needed the roster spot for the secondary, considering all the injuries they had there this year. Maybe another CB, it doesn't hurt to have depth back there.

Murtha made our practice squad and eventualy was signed by parcells to the Dolphins roster.

February 3rd, 2010, 12:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

There's no guarantee that the Lions will get Mr. Irrelevant, or even a supplemental pick for that matter. The NFL must award 33 compensatory or supplemental selections to get to the 256 required by the CBA.

According to someone who follows this stuff a lot more closely than I do, there should be between 24 and 36 comp picks awarded based upon free agents lost/gained. For the Lions to get the last pick of the draft, there would have to be 31 comp picks awarded. Any more than that, they won't get an extra pick. Any less and it won't be Mr. Irrelevant.

As for which position they should draft at that spot, I think they need to go BPA. Last year, they took Gronkowski after already taking Pettigrew in the 1st round. My guess is that he was the highest rated player remaining on their board at that time and I would do the same thing again.

February 3rd, 2010, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

Hey, if there's no CBA at the draft, does that mean no comp picks? Or more comp picks? Or does the world just come to an end?

February 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm
RIP Killer

If the Lions draft somebody, doesn't that automatically make him Mr. Irelavent?

February 3rd, 2010, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next