View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 DE Brandon Graham 
QB Coach

I'd be ecstatic to get Iup.... or Graham in the 2nd.

I'd be good with either of them or Kyle Wilson. I think if we get a DE in free agency (say Kampman or Vandenbosch) then we can get a DT, CB and G in the first three rounds.

February 2nd, 2010, 3:47 pm
Team MVP

If we can get Kampman or Vandenbosch in FA, then McCoy/Suh at #2, pair them with SLH and Avril (dont make me regret supporting you), then the defensive line would be a major upgrade! At least on paper it would be. Id actually rather have Suh/McCoy, Hill, Vandenbosch/Kampman, and Graham starting, but thats a slim chance.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 2nd, 2010, 10:10 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think Graham sealed his first round status at the Senior Bowl. With player rankings being so fluid this time of year his Combine will be interesting to watch. He's not going to run a fast 40 and might do some of the OLB drills too. If he has a "poor" showing at the combine then he might slip to the end of round one. There is no way when you look at the tape on this kid that he's not a first rounder. Numbers are deceiving, just ask Al Davis!

February 2nd, 2010, 10:34 pm
1st Round Pick

there are alot of trade down situations. I was thinking the other day what about a trade up. Say there is Graham,Wilson, Iupati or someone we really like near the end of the first round would you trade maybe a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th or future picks to move back up into the first round. I guess It really comes down to if you want Quanity a number of good players to help fill needs or some Game Changers. I think right now I'd go for some game changers we have alot of role players. Stafford , Calvin, Pettigrew and Delmas seem to be Game Changers. if we could come away whith sugh or Mccoy then end up whith one of thses other guys Id be pretty happy even if we were only able to draft a couple more players.

February 3rd, 2010, 12:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

While i suggested nearly the same thing earlier, I think you look at it the other way.

Its a Deep Draft of Defensive Talent, and a decent selection of OGs. We really lucked out in the sense of Needs Matching available talent, so we Want as many picks as possible.

Due to the depth, and the fact that all 3 players you named would be an Amazing pick at 34, I think we stay put, and draft the Talented player who falls to us, since it is very possible 1 of them makes it, and if not, then someone almost or as good that was previously rated higher, but dropped due to A) Not Playing in the Senior Bowl (Read: Quality Juniors) - or B) maybe doesnt have the measurables (Picture If Graham was a Jr, and you didnt hear all about him in Senior Bowl practice, and then watch him dominate the game - You can bet his measurables at the combine would not have vaulted him the way his performance did) - and then you draft that player.

We arent in a position to morgage now OR the future for a specific player. We might have warm bodies, but we still have a ton of Holes if you are counting actual talent. And Depth? Yeah right.

February 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I wouldn't trade up at all. In this deep draft, I'd prefer that the Lions try to acquire more picks instead of giving them away.

February 4th, 2010, 12:37 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I wouldn't trade up at all. In this deep draft, I'd prefer that the Lions try to acquire more picks instead of giving them away.
I agree for the most part. I would consider trading future picks becuase this class is so deep.

February 4th, 2010, 11:45 am

I agree with Stallion, I don't think that the Lions even need to think about getting another first rounder if they were to trade with Seattle or S.F. I don't think either of those teams would want to move up to 2 unless the planets align right. If they could trade down to pick up more second rounders they could really do themselves a favor.

I envy New England's second round prowess. They had 4 second rounders last year and they have 3 this year. The second round is viewed as being important, but I still think its very underrated for the amount of quality talent that you can get and for relatively cheap. I'd love to move the #2 for a lower first and get a few 2nd rounders.

February 4th, 2010, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

I think the Lions draft strategy should be this:

Stand pat in the first and second rounds, take the best talent at a position of need. In the third round, the Lions need to start thinking about moving, either up or down.

I believe that around the midst of the second round is where we will see the drop off from players who are fringe immediate starters or high potential developmental players, to long term developmental players or backups. The decision that the Lions will have to make once the draft gets to about pick 42 to 45 is "Is there a player we'd like to get that we can move up for without costing too much?". We have two fifth round picks, but putting together our top fifth rounder with our third rounder won't get us beyond pick 60 or so. We'd likely have to package our third rounder this year with a third next year to move up high enough. New England might be a likely taker at their second rounder they got from Tennessee. They love stockpiling future picks in Foxborough.

If not moving up, then evaluate what falls and decide if moving down is a possibility, in the hopes of getting an additional pick NEXT year, along with a later third round pick. The Lions need to start thinking long term if they don't feel they are going to get a potential starter in this round. New England and Philly have made a living in the drafts moving down and getting optimal value while collecting future picks. For instance, New England is in a position now where they can package two of their second rounders and move back into round one and get a player to fill a need for them, like a quality rush OLB or a DE for their defense.

Another draft like last years would be good, but the Lions had the fortune of two firsts and two thirds because of the snake oil job Mayhew pulled on Jerry Jones. We'll be lucky if we get three bonafide starters out of this draft that have good careers in the NFL.

February 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Posted by John Niyo (The Detroit News) on Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM
U-M's Graham idled by hamstring injury at NFL combine
Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham won't finish his workout today at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis after suffering a hamstring injury during the 40-yard dash. Graham, projected as a late first-round pick, clocked a 4.69 unofficially in the 40, a day after putting up 31 bench-press reps of 225 pounds. (Oddly enough, his arms "grew" in the last month, too: They reportedly measured a too-short 30 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl -- and 32 1/4 at the combine.)

Graham, who can play DE in a 4-3 scheme or move to OLB in a 3-4 scheme, already has shown NFL teams plenty this winter. But he'll have a chance to impress again at Michigan's pro day on March 12, assuming today's injury isn't too serious.

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z0h2DKcqpG

That's simply ridiculous. I could see if there was a difference of 1/8" or even 1/4", but 1-3/4"? Somebody really screwed up and I'm guessing it was the Senior Bowl. I'm just surprised that Graham didn't say anything about it at the time.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:52 am
RIP Killer

I like the fact that it seems like Swartz focuses on the game film more.

March 2nd, 2010, 12:00 pm

Sly, do you know how long your arms are? It just seems like a strange thing to say "Um, wait a minute, can we get a second measurement on my arms, I think the tape you're using is wrong".

It comes down to the tape with this kid. Does he look like he can play and help you in your system. He's a little bit different then some of the other prospects because of his hybrid status.

I'm pulling for the kid, as a U of M slappy, but whether or not he's getting the LaMarr Woodley comparisons because he's from U of M or because they have similar upsides, but I think any team would love to have Woodley. If Graham turns out to be anywhere close to Woodley he should be a hot commodity.

March 3rd, 2010, 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4