View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I was always... 
Peanut and Beer Salesman

November 23rd, 2004, 1:56 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: As far as Sundays game...
Korrowan wrote:
Joey played quite well by turning the ball over till the last posession but if you break down the plays in the second half you will see what was happening. The penalties killed Joey's drives before they started. He was sacked from the backside by Johnstone 3 times because of Backus's ability to block him ALL ON THIRD DOWN.... then you have KJ's huge penalty that killed that drive since Roy is our only deep threat and he wasnt playing well at all. A lot of what happend in that game had little to do with Joey... there were MANY mistakes... and huge amounts of penalties that killed drives.

Good points about the penalties, and bringing up the drives.

Here was our drive summary...too inconsistent for my liking...
KR for TD
-Good job by Drummond yet again in this game
14 plays, 60 yards, TD
- Jones: 5 rush, 25 yards; Harrington 4/6 (66%) 30 yards, TD
4 plays, 5 yards, punt
12 plays, 62 yards, FG
- 7 rushes, 66 yards (Detroit backs)
3 plays, 8 yards punt
1 play, -1 yard, HALF

Looking at the stats, it seems as if the rushing attack carried the offense on the successful drives. It wasn't Harrington doing anything of note, rather Jones. He was the reason for our scores.

5 plays, 14 yards, punt
- Harrington sacked on 3rd down
4 plays, 20 yards, punt
3 plays, -7 yards, punt
- 15 yard penalty
3 plays, -13 yards, punt
- Harrington sacked on 3rd down
1 play, 0 yards, interception

I think you were right, looking back on the terrible second half, it was the penalties and the sacks the did us in. It wasn't Harrington and his inability to lead the offense, the rushing game was abandoned because of the penalties and we couldn't get it done.

November 23rd, 2004, 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Looking at the stats, it seems as if the rushing attack carried the offense on the successful drives. It wasn't Harrington doing anything of note, rather Jones. He was the reason for our scores.

Well I give kudos to the Mooch and the offensive coordinator for this one.... if you look at the game the HOLES WERE HUGE!! this was a first... and Jones ran where he was supposed to and took a couple guys for a few yards... but this was more scheme and strat than anything.... the Vikings are venerable to the run....

November 23rd, 2004, 11:57 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: As far as Sundays game...
Korrowan wrote:
Joey played quite well by turning the ball over till the last posession but if you break down the plays in the second half you will see what was happening. The penalties killed Joey's drives before they started. He was sacked from the backside by Johnstone 3 times because of Backus's ability to block him ALL ON THIRD DOWN.... then you have KJ's huge penalty that killed that drive since Roy is our only deep threat and he wasnt playing well at all. A lot of what happend in that game had little to do with Joey... there were MANY mistakes... and huge amounts of penalties that killed drives. I do not believe that many QB's can come into that situation and do well. There is too much inexperience at key positions and an oline that may be the worst in the league. Granted Joey does make some bad throws especially when he THINKS he needs to make something happen... but so does Favre and Vick and just about anyone else. I will support Joey until he proves that he is no good with talent around him that is not always injured and talent with some more experience... this whole team is failing right now.... Joey is just a PIECE of the puzzle.

Wow - this is an amazing post. As mad as I am at Harrington right now you make a lot of sense. As fans, we look to blame someone and it usually turns out ot be the QB or coach. A rational fan of the Lions, who would have tought it. Kudos Korrowan.

November 24th, 2004, 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You cannot make me let go of my anger...you just cant :lol:

November 24th, 2004, 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Also, everyone has to remember that Mooch has some "vanilla" plays that are being called for this offense. And he does that becuase he knows he has a young team and needs to keep to the basics. I think if we had a more open offense we would probably score a few more points and would see less of those "dink n dunk" plays called. But, we would probably see more turnovers as well. ( in the form of INT's ) And I think when you look back at our offense when Joe first started playing he was throwing more deep balls but was far more inaccurate and had a lot more turnovers.

This is not a support post for anybody, but more of "vision" on why Harrington throws short a lot and why this offense is sl bland. If anyone has any games taped form a few years ago you will see the difference in plays being run. ( with the same QB)

Just something to think about..........

November 24th, 2004, 1:19 pm
All State

winston93 brings up some good points and i agree with everything he is saying. i was also ok with a vanilla offense, to keep turnovers down, when the lions were in the playoff chase. at 4-6 i think things have changed and they can get more agressive because turnovers will not be so critical now.

open it up mooch, lets see some fun out there.

November 24th, 2004, 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2