View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:04 am



Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Gerald McCoy 
Author Message
Post 
To me it seems the difference between Cory Redding and Shaun Rogers...


January 19th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 805
Location: Linden, MI
Post 
I'll say it. Draft this guy. If they wouldn't trade picks for the WR at #2, they should not pass up a guy like this.

Think of how different the Lions' D was when they had NFL talent at DT, ala Rogers and for a year or so Redding...

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


January 22nd, 2010, 9:24 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Detroit News wrote:
SI.com mock draft: McCoy to Lions at Number 2 ... and a Schwartz endorsement?
No surprises at the top of SI.com's first mock draft from Don Banks. He has Ndamukong Suh going No. 1 to St. Louis and Gerald McCoy going No. 2 to the Lions. It's still early, but I didn't hear anything down in Mobile -- just got back home tonight -- that led me to believe that's not a pretty safe bet. (I'll take a stab at my first mock draft right after the combine a month from now.)

Here's Banks' comment on the Lions: "The Lions really can't lose, and when's the last time we were able to use those words to describe Detroit? Being in position to take either Suh or McCoy adds another major cog to the defense Jim Schwartz is rebuilding in Motown. McCoy is known for his ability to penetrate the backfield, while still holding up against the run."

For what it's worth, Lions coach Jim Schwartz was asked about the difficulty in finding interior pass rushers yesterday. He just laughed when I told him his answer sounded like a pretty good endorsement for selecting either of those two DTs with the second overall pick.

"Probably a little bit harder to find 'em inside," Schwartz said. "Because ... if you're big enough to be a run stopper, generally you're not much of a pass rusher. if you're a really good pass rusher, you're not a big enough guy to stop the run. But I think that when you find one of those guys, they're extremely valuable. If you can combine the size and the strength to be able to stop the run, and also the ability to rush ... The shortest distance to the quarterback is a straight line -- the people that are closest are the defensive tackles. And they can affect the rush.

"It works hand in hand. If you're a good outside rusher, you can win every single time and if you're not getting push inside, if you're not getting somebody winning inside, it's easy for the quarterback to step up and it doesn't matter that you've won outside."

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z0e74D47RZ

It sounds to me like the Lions are interested in him, but it could be a smokescreen instead.

_________________
Image


January 30th, 2010, 12:18 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Here's another similar article on the subject:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
If Lions don't get DT Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy still a strong pick to help defense
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

MOBILE, Ala. -- Yeah, it's that obvious. That was the general consensus among NFL folks at the Senior Bowl about the top of the NFL draft.

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who did not play in the game, is the best prospect on the board. If St. Louis doesn't take him No. 1, the Lions likely will at No. 2.

Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a junior, is the second-best prospect on the board -- a little less stout against the run than Suh but maybe a little quicker. If the Rams take Suh first overall, the Lions likely will get a great consolation prize second overall.

Either way, the Lions will be able to strengthen the middle of a defense that has ranked last in the league each of the past three seasons.

Coach Jim Schwartz answered a general question about how much harder it is to find interior pass rushers. He always talks about multidimensional players, and his response was about players with both the size and strength to stop the run and the athleticism to get to the quarterback.

"I think that when you find one of those guys, they're extremely valuable," Schwartz said. "The shortest distance to the quarterback is a straight line, and the people that are the closest are the defensive tackles. They can affect the rush."

Players like that also help the defensive ends.

"If you're a good outside rusher, you can win every single time, and if you're not getting the push inside, you're not getting somebody winning inside, then it's easy for the quarterback to step up and it doesn't matter that you won outside," Schwartz said.

A good rush in turn helps the secondary, and the Lions' secondary has been brutal. After saying he expected the Lions to take Suh or McCoy -- in that order -- one scout said their next priority should be cornerback because they can't do what they want on defense until they lock down the outside.

That called to mind a comment general manager Martin Mayhew made after the season.

"When we rushed four, we couldn't get there," Mayhew said. "When we brought pressure, we couldn't hold up on the corner. So that was probably our weakness defensively."

As my signature says, I have no problem with the Lions drafting either Suh or McCoy. To most people, they are the two best players in the draft, and if you have the chance to get difference makers like that, you take them.

_________________
Image


January 31st, 2010, 1:26 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post 
Freep wrote:
NFL Network analyst likes Gerald McCoy ahead of Ndamukong Suh

Well, McCoy might not be a consolation prize, according to a couple of NFL pundits.

The NFL Network's Mike Mayock has McCoy ranked slightly ahead of Suh on his list.

"I don't care what order they're in," Mayock said. "They're the two best players in the country.

"I look at McCoy and I see the most disruptive force coming out of the draft as far as an interior defensive linemen in years. He's got a little bit of Warren Sapp to him, a little bit of Tommie Harris to him, he's explosive, he's disruptive, he's clean off the field."

"Both of these guys can play three downs. They don't get tired, they play a lot of snaps, they can push the pocket. Suh pushes the pocket with strength, where McCoy's a little bit more quick.

"So it's really what flavor do you want, but in my opinion, they're 1 and 1A, and then there's a big falloff after that."

Pete Schrager of Foxsports.com says: "Suh's the safe bet, but McCoy may have the greater NFL upside."

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 10th, 2010, 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post 
I don't really trust Mayock. He's just saying that in order to create a few waves. In an overly saturated pre-draft market (as a draftnik I love the coverage, but there doesn't need to be all of this effusive prognostication) Mayock is just saying that to make things interesting.

At the start of the year McCoy was the top rated DT in the draft. Suh blew up and usurped him at that position. He had a great run, but now that the accolades and media coverage of him isn't there like it was during the season, a lot of guys are reverting back to McCoy as there guy. It is pretty much 1 and 1a with them. The Combine/Pro Day (I doubt they'll go to the combine) will show a little bit, but it's not going to change that many minds one way or another. It's just who you think would fit best into your system.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 10th, 2010, 11:41 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I'm beginning to feel that Suh MAY be a dominant player because he was a man among boys. I don't have good reasons... but I am not sure if he is capable of developing more to step it up at the next level. I do not get that feeling from McCoy and I am starting to think McCoy might be the better pick. It just seems like his all around skills might translate better and he has room to grow where as Suh just seems like he's topped out. Don't have good reasons why, it'll be good to see them at the combine.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


February 10th, 2010, 11:43 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3346
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
steensn wrote:
I'm beginning to feel that Suh MAY be a dominant player because he was a man among boys. I don't have good reasons... but I am not sure if he is capable of developing more to step it up at the next level. I do not get that feeling from McCoy and I am starting to think McCoy might be the better pick. It just seems like his all around skills might translate better and he has room to grow where as Suh just seems like he's topped out. Don't have good reasons why, it'll be good to see them at the combine.


You know, its funny you say that, because I feel the same way, i just never knew how to put it in words. Suh would be great to get, but overall, I just have a feeling McCoy will end up being better in the NFL.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 10th, 2010, 12:07 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post 
I agree with that sentiment. It seems to me like Suh may come in as a rookie and play very well, and would play at that level for many years. As for McCoy I can see him struggling a touch in his rookie year, but being able to improve every year. Has Suh already maxed out? Probably not, but I think that McCoy has a higher ceiling then Suh.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 10th, 2010, 12:13 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
Just looking at them is seems as if Suh is as big and strong as he is going to get. He is tone and big in the legs and arms, while still having the

Image

6'4" shade over 300 lbs.

Image

6'4" shade under 300 lbs.

Though they are "about" the same size, their body types just make it seem like Suh is almost maxed out while McCoy still has some ability to grow and mature his body a little more. Like you said, he might have a higher ceiling.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


February 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9864
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I have said this before. The biggest difference between the two players is their careers up to this point. McCoy was a highly rated high school prospect going into Oklahoma. Suh was a late bloomer who didn't start playing football until high school. No one ever heard of Suh outside of Nebraska until this year. McCoy was well known amongst folks who watched college football because he played every year and got better every year.

It's similar to last season with offensive tackles. Jason Smith was relatively unknown at the beginning of the college season, but began to soar up draft boards last in the college campaign and really took off after work outs. However, Michael Oher was well known prior to the season as a very good NFL prospect. Oher was over-analyzed and fell in the draft as a result. Smith was a quick riser and didn't get that level of analysis. It seems to be the same way with Suh and McCoy. I think some people have been overanalyzing McCoy, and not looking at the fact that this guy has played at a pretty high level since before he graduated high school.

I think either McCoy or Suh will be good picks. Personally, I feel like McCoy is actually the safer pick because he's always been good, and there's no reason to believe he'll do a backslide now. Suh is a late bloomer, had one very remarkable season, and has a higher potential to be a shooting star rather than a rising sun.


February 10th, 2010, 12:40 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post 
Interesting metaphors... I agree with them though.

It seems like the McCoy over Suh at #1 rumor is gaining some traction. I heard on the radio today (97.1) that McShay is changing his mock and is going to put McCoy at 1 and Suh at 2...

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 10th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Quote:
I have said this before. The biggest difference between the two players is their careers up to this point. McCoy was a highly rated high school prospect going into Oklahoma. Suh was a late bloomer who didn't start playing football until high school. No one ever heard of Suh outside of Nebraska until this year. McCoy was well known amongst folks who watched college football because he played every year and got better every year.

It's similar to last season with offensive tackles. Jason Smith was relatively unknown at the beginning of the college season, but began to soar up draft boards last in the college campaign and really took off after work outs. However, Michael Oher was well known prior to the season as a very good NFL prospect. Oher was over-analyzed and fell in the draft as a result. Smith was a quick riser and didn't get that level of analysis. It seems to be the same way with Suh and McCoy. I think some people have been overanalyzing McCoy, and not looking at the fact that this guy has played at a pretty high level since before he graduated high school.

I think either McCoy or Suh will be good picks. Personally, I feel like McCoy is actually the safer pick because he's always been good, and there's no reason to believe he'll do a backslide now. Suh is a late bloomer, had one very remarkable season, and has a higher potential to be a shooting star rather than a rising sun.


I do not understand where people are getting this one year wonder stuff with Suh. Suh was a 4 star recruit out of high school from what I recall. He has made a huge impact in the games he has played for the last two years and put up better numbers for the past 3 years (2007 is debatable). The battle for the top spot has been virtually a tie between these two for a while but each has received a spike of hype in at one point or another. McCoy received hype during Oklahoma's championship game and Suh received it later when he put up 4 sacks on Texas. Suh's huge performance against Texas combined with stellar back to back season gave him the top spot and he was never far behind McCoy.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


February 11th, 2010, 1:34 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9864
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Stallion wrote:
I do not understand where people are getting this one year wonder stuff with Suh. Suh was a 4 star recruit out of high school from what I recall. He has made a huge impact in the games he has played for the last two years and put up better numbers for the past 3 years (2007 is debatable). The battle for the top spot has been virtually a tie between these two for a while but each has received a spike of hype in at one point or another. McCoy received hype during Oklahoma's championship game and Suh received it later when he put up 4 sacks on Texas. Suh's huge performance against Texas combined with stellar back to back season gave him the top spot and he was never far behind McCoy.


Stallion, Suh may have played well at Nebraska in previous years, but nothing he did then compared to what he did this season. It was a "breakout" year, by definition. McCoy hasn't had a season of that nature, but has been a steadily improving performer year after year. McCoy was well known previous to this season, but Suh was not as well known. Some of that has to do with the schools they play for. Oklahoma was in the national spotlight much more than Nebraska, and as such McCoy naturally received more attention.

And while Suh may have been a four star recruit out of high school, McCoy was THE top DT prospect coming out of high school, and considered by many as among the top ten in the country among all HS football players. He was a near unanimous five star, blue chip prospect. The fact that he was able to live up to that hype and reputation speaks well for him.

If McCoy had declared last season, he would have been a top five pick, and easily been the top DT off the board. The same cannot be said of Suh if he had gone into the draft before this season. THAT is the big difference, and why folks consider Suh a "one year wonder". I would say that the Chiefs wouldn't have reached for Tyoka Jackson, and would have been beyond happy to take McCoy to be a DE in their 34 defense. I don't know that Suh would have been in their war room discussion last season at that point.


February 11th, 2010, 9:51 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
M2karateman wrote:
No one ever heard of Suh outside of Nebraska until this year.

Huh? While I agree that McCoy was the much better known DT last year, plenty oif people knew about Suh. In fact, I was hoping that he would declare after his Junior year so the Lions could possibly get him at #20 or #33. I liked him much better than Peria Jerry or Evander Hood who were also projected to go in that range.

_________________
Image


February 11th, 2010, 11:22 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.