View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 M2K's 2010 Mock Draft, version 1.0 
Mr. Irrelevant

Mays seems like a JL. Junior year for sure top 15 pick, maybe even top 10... then a lackluster senior season (but still solid) makes people think twice. I think Mays will turn out to be worthy of a top 15 pick just like JL.

James Laurinaitis

February 10th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Mays seems like a JL. Junior year for sure top 15 pick, maybe even top 10... then a lackluster senior season (but still solid) makes people think twice. I think Mays will turn out to be worthy of a top 15 pick just like JL.

I think the difference more people believed in JL prior to his senior year than believed in Mays. I remember when Killer said Mays should have been our pick last year if declared...ludicrous

February 10th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I remember hearing that too and everybody thought it was ludicrous for him to go back to school. He may have lost out on a lot of money, but there is no way he would have held up to the scrutiny of the combine and the pre-draft workouts. Plus I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to end up playing LB in the league.

February 10th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I remember hearing that too and everybody thought it was ludicrous for him to go back to school. He may have lost out on a lot of money, but there is no way he would have held up to the scrutiny of the combine and the pre-draft workouts. Plus I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to end up playing LB in the league.

I really do not think Mays had that good of a chance last year either. He would have been one of those guys who plummeted against all reason. I hope he does move to LB because he has a much better chance there. I would bet that he could put on more than enough weight in muscle before training camp starts.

February 11th, 2010, 1:01 am
RIP Killer

Mays is like Thomas Davis of the Panthers....almost identical, really. Hard hitter with great speed for his size, but doesn't have the coverage skills the NFL looks for in a safety. Has the size to play linebacker, and eventually will make the transition, probably quite successfully. But that transition will not happen overnight, and teams won't spend a top 15 or 20 pick on a guy who is unsettled in his eventual playing position in the NFL, and will need time to learn the nuances of playing that spot.

I agree that many times players who perform very well as sophomores and juniors, then play their senior years and come into the draft tend to be overanalyzed. It happened with Michael Oher as well as Laurinaitis last year. The difference with those two is that they are playing the positions they played in college. It's different for Mays.

Once again, it only takes one team.......

February 11th, 2010, 9:33 am
Pro Bowl Player

steensn wrote:

Mays is like Thomas Davis of the Panthers....almost identical, really. Hard hitter with great speed for his size, but doesn't have the coverage skills the NFL looks for in a safety. Has the size to play linebacker, and eventually will make the transition, probably quite successfully. But that transition will not happen overnight, and teams won't spend a top 15 or 20 pick on a guy who is unsettled in his eventual playing position in the NFL, and will need time to learn the nuances of playing that spot.

I agree that many times players who perform very well as sophomores and juniors, then play their senior years and come into the draft tend to be overanalyzed. It happened with Michael Oher as well as Laurinaitis last year. The difference with those two is that they are playing the positions they played in college. It's different for Mays.

I heard that Urlacher was a safety in college. Similar scenario?

February 12th, 2010, 11:14 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If you can get a talent like Mays... you MAKE him work in a defense.

February 12th, 2010, 11:51 am
NFL Team Captain

Urlacher was a safety for New Mexico, I believe.

February 12th, 2010, 12:53 pm
Div 1 - Starter

If you can get a talent like Mays... you MAKE him work in a defense.

Ok, then get to work on Ernie Sims!!

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 12th, 2010, 1:01 pm
RIP Killer

Can't, I'm just a lowly fan with an opinion... Sims was misused by Rod... you still have to have a good defense coach and scheme to make them work. you finds ways to use them. Don't make the players fit the scheme, make the scheme fit the players.

February 12th, 2010, 1:04 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

steensn wrote:

Aaron Curry anyone? Remember how last year everyone was saying "Take Curry and make him the Mike"?

February 12th, 2010, 1:18 pm
RIP Killer

Aaron Curry anyone? Remember how last year everyone was saying "Take Curry and make him the Mike"?

Ummm....Wayne, playing SAFETY and playing LINEBACKER are two totally different things. Moving from SAM to MIKE is not that tremendous of a difference.

And for your information, in the Wake Forest defensive scheme, Curry played at all three linebacking spots at various times during his tenure. So he was familiar with the responsibilities of playing any LB spot.

And for those of you bringing up the Urlacher thing...

Brian Urlacher played what's known as the Lobo position for New Mexico. Sort of like a Wolf, Monster, Rover.....whatever. It was a hybrid LB/DB position, where they moved him around to confuse opposing offenses. So, in effect, he had a great deal of experience playing 5-7 yards from the LOS, as opposed to someone like Mays who has very little experience of that nature. Mays hasn't been forced to take on offensive linemen a great deal, but Urlacher already had that on his resume.

And I think we can all agree that Urlacher is built a whole lot differently than Mays. Not quite as lanky, much more solid with a lower base.

February 12th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Team MVP

Im PRETTY sure we aint gonna draft Mays anyway, even if we had the chance.

February 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2