View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions' biggest needs in the draft / offseason? 

Lions' biggest need in the 2010 offseason?
Guard 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Safety 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Defensive Tackle 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Defensive End 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Other 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 28

Lions' biggest needs in the draft / offseason? 
Water Boy

Post Lions' biggest needs in the draft / offseason?
I'm working on an NFL draft website and we're trying to come up with 'needs' for each team, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions from some fans?

I know the team is struggling and there are a lot of places that they could get better, but what are the biggest positions of need for the Lions during this offseason? Which ones would you like to see addressed by the draft? Which ones would be better addressed in free agency? Do you have anyone specific in mind who you think would fit the team's schemes best?

This will be important to us as we put out our full seven-round mocks closer to the draft.

I'd appreciate the help from people who truly care about the Lions -- we just want to make sure that we're not missing anything when we post our "team needs" segments.

For those wondering, here is a link to our most recent mock draft:
http://www.nfldraftspot.com/mock-drafts ... rafts.html

Lions picks:
2. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
34. Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
66. Dexter McCluster, WR/RB, Ole Miss

Comments/critiques appreciated! :)

Oh, and before anyone tries to say that I'm just here to "plug my website," I want to let everyone know that while I would like to get increased traffic to the website; the reason I posted this is to get honest opinions from the people who actually care about teams.

Thanks!

February 16th, 2010, 6:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Cornerback is the teams single biggest need. William James is a free agent, and is hardly adequate as even a #2 CB. Buchanon is more suited to be a #2 corner, and nobody else on the roster is worth sh!t. The team overhauled their complete secondary through free agency (other than Delmas), and they got worse in 2009. They need to take young CBs in the draft, and splurge a bit for a good CB. Adding to the pass rush won't help when opposing QBs are able to take 3 or 5 step drops and immediately release the ball to an open receiver, which is what happens very often.

February 16th, 2010, 8:24 am
Water Boy

Cornerback is the teams single biggest need. William James is a free agent, and is hardly adequate as even a #2 CB. Buchanon is more suited to be a #2 corner, and nobody else on the roster is worth sh!t. The team overhauled their complete secondary through free agency (other than Delmas), and they got worse in 2009. They need to take young CBs in the draft, and splurge a bit for a good CB. Adding to the pass rush won't help when opposing QBs are able to take 3 or 5 step drops and immediately release the ball to an open receiver, which is what happens very often.

Do you have any players in mind who would be your ideal targets given the picks that the Lions have?

Joe Haden and Earl Thomas will almost certainly be gone by the time the Lions pick in round two, but guys like Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty could be available.

February 16th, 2010, 8:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I agree that corner is our biggest need. If Kyle Wilson is there in round 2 I think we'll take him.

February 16th, 2010, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

CB by far, we got nada right now and think how many corners see action. If the Lions can at least get one solid one they can roll safety coverage to the other side.

For the first time in years I didn't say QB, aren't y'all proud of me?

February 16th, 2010, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think if you check out some threads here, you'll see that not many see us with OT first round with the man love for Backus coaches have (though not many here have the same love...). I'd say you'd be more correct with one of the DT's as most drafts have us taking.

February 16th, 2010, 11:08 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

kliquid, no offense, but if the Lions selected Okung, Cody, and McCluster in the first three rounds, I would shoot myself. :(

As others have stated, CB is their greatest need, but DE isn't very far behind. A case could also be made for DT or OG. Regardless, all four of those positions must be addressed this off-season for the Lions to have any hope of turning things around.

February 16th, 2010, 11:37 am
Team MVP

[quote="slybri19"]kliquid, no offense, but if the Lions selected Okung, Cody, and McCluster in the first three rounds, I would shoot myself. :(
quote]

So would I!

Anyway, I voted defensive tackle. In my opinion, a good defense starts from inside the line, to outside the line...then wherever after that. We need a solid DT to plug next to Sammie Hill. Cornerback is a huge need, no doubt, but anyone remember the DET vs BAL game? Remember Ray Rice embarrassing us?

I think Detroit has a bunch of "top" needs, but if i had to pick, it would be defensive tackle. If not that, defensive end. Like mentioned many times before, this team will not go anywhere until it fixes its horrible defensive line.

February 16th, 2010, 11:43 am
Pro Bowl Player

I think we're in the same position as last year as far as having needs across the board. Show me one of our units and I'll show you a dodgy starter. Only thing you can cross off is QB, TE, and one safety. Yes, we gained Levy, but now we're going to lose Foote and/or Peterson so even the LB's become a question mark. We have to take the most talented player with the pick we have.

February 16th, 2010, 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

CB
LG
DT
S
DE
RB
WR

February 16th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Heisman Winner

To me, it's without question a DT. All corners get exposed if your DL cannot stop the run or get penetration on the QB to disrupt throws and timing.

CB is a need, but it's not as big as stablizing our DL. You get that, and your CBs start looking better right away. It's a tremendous bonus that our biggest need is also the draft's featured players. It's a no brainer IMO.

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

Last edited by yostevo on February 16th, 2010, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Team MVP

To me, it's without question a DT. All corners get exposed if your DL cannot stop the run or get penetration on the QB to disrupt throws and timing.

CB is a need, but it's not as big as stablizing our DL. You get that, and you CBs start looking better right away. It's a tremendous bonus that our biggest need is also the drafts featured players. It's a no brainer IMO.

DT
CB
DE
CB #2
LG
WR
RB

You said it perfectly. It sucks that we're picking this high, but we are fortunate that our biggest need is the drafts featured players.

February 16th, 2010, 1:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Glad you asked. CB is probably the biggest need, but followed very closely by DT, which we all expect will be addressed with our 1st pick. Following those would be G and DE and not necessarily in that order. We also need an infusion at RB and a #2 at WR. However, the Lions proclaim to adhere to the BPA school of thought. With that in mind, I wouldn't just assume they would take the best corner on there board in second round.

In reference to your most recent mock, as my fellow poster sly put it " if the Lions selected Okung, Cody, and McCluster in the first three rounds, I would shoot myself " I think you would find these same sentiments expressed by most who share there opinions here.

February 16th, 2010, 2:45 pm
Cheerleader

CB
DT
WR#2
DE
LG
KR/PR
S
RB

February 16th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

CB (why I voted "other)
DT
LG
DE
WR/KR
RB
S
OL

I didn't even throw LB on there because at this point they still have solid starters (Sims, Levy, Peterson). There is NOTHING in the defensive backfield.

As for Okung, Cody, and McCluster the only pick I like is McCluster, but there are bigger needs (see above) then him in the third round. A) Schwartz loves Backus, so no need to make that prognostication. 2) Cody is a two down tackle who probably would fit in best in a 3-4. D) I'm not even sure if McCluster will drop to the third, who knows.

February 16th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next