View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Michigan under investegation... 
RIP Killer

Post Michigan under investegation...
Can it get worse?

http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-f ... e_football

August 31st, 2009, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

This seems a little overblown to me. I'm sure most schools exceed some of these rules and if they were winning and his players liked him this wouldn't have even surfaced.

Still, Michigan please sign RRod to an extension.

GO STATE!

August 31st, 2009, 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm starting to feel bad for UM... only because it is killing the rivalry. I mean, I like the free wins and all, but at least when we where getting our butts handed to us we made it interesting by being a good team.

August 31st, 2009, 12:49 pm
NFL Team Captain

Thank you Lord. Our friends Steensn and Pablo are still alive. It took them so long to respond to this that I thought we were going to have to send the parimedics to their homes to check for a pulse. :wink:

Thank you for not using this rare :roll: occurence to rip my beloved Blue and Maize to shreds. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last edited by jomo269 on August 31st, 2009, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 31st, 2009, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

August 31st, 2009, 4:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Rosenberg is pathetic. He used to be my favorite columnist, but his vendetta against Rodriguez is ridiculous. This is some of the worst reporting I have ever seen. He didn't even try to compare to what happens at other programs (Meyer blatantly said that his offseason workouts were required). From what I'm hearing, there are some players who are seriously upset about being taken way out of context during interviews as well.

http://mgoblog.com/content/jihad-second-journalism-type-substance

This is a very good breakdown of the situation. Obviously he's biased but I don't think you can dispute anything in the post.

August 31st, 2009, 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

[b]IT IS TIME TO CUT BAIT ON THIS SOUTH END OF A NORTH BOUND DONKEY ! [B]

There has been nothing but a circus since we hired him. And I thought I disliked Carr. While we are at it. Fire the ASSHAT the hired him.

Quote:
Michigan coach sued in SC over Va. condo deal

By MEG KINNARD, Associated Press Writer 3 hours, 50 minutes ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Michigan head football coach Rich Rodriguez has been sued in federal court by a bank claiming he failed to pay back millions on a loan for a struggling Virginia condominium project, according to court documents.

The suit—filed Aug. 13 in U.S. District Court in Spartanburg, S.C., and served on Rodriguez at his Ann Arbor, Mich., office last week—says the coach owes a bank $3.9 million for defaulting on a loan to build condos near Virginia Tech’s Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Va.

Rodriguez told reporters the case won’t hinder his Michigan’s preparations, while an adviser said the coach was the victim of fraud.

“This is something that’s ongoing,” Rodriguez said Tuesday in a Big Ten conference call. “It’s not anything that will take our attention away from getting ready for the season.”

Under the corporate name of The Legends of Blacksburg, LLC, Rodriguez and four partners borrowed more than $26 million for the project in September 2007, when Rodriguez was still coaching at West Virginia University. But as the luxury condo project struggled amid the economic downturn, that amount was amended down to about $3.63 million—the cost of only the land itself, according to loan documents filed with the court.

When the loan matured in May, a law firm representing Banc Capital & Financial Services, Inc., the Spartanburg, S.C. bank servicing the loan, send a demand letter to Rodriguez’s investment group. In that letter, attorneys served notice that the reduced loan amount was in default for nonpayment, giving the group five days’ notice to pay the loan in full or possibly face legal action.

Mike Wilcox, a Toledo, Ohio-based adviser to Rodriguez, issued a statement saying the coach had been the victim of fraud dating back to 2004, when he was coach at West Virginia.

“Coach Rodriguez is the victim of a fraudulent real estate Ponzi scheme that has unfortunately affected many Americans,” Wilcox said. “Several other coaches and prominent individuals are involved in this transaction.”

A Web site for the Legends of Blacksburg development boasts pre-construction prices starting at $350,000 for one of the 80 luxury condos with views of Lane Stadium. Fifty-two of the units have presold, according to the site.

Wilcox did not immediately return messages left at his office, and there was no attorney listed for Rodriguez on court documents. Wes Few, a Columbia attorney representing the bank, said his client is the one suffering, not Rodriguez.

“It’s not a Ponzi scheme. The victim is my client,” said Few, adding that the $3.9 million sought includes interest and fees associated with the loan. “My client’s out $3.63 million.”

The other four people named as guarantors on the loan are not named in this lawsuit.

In the conference call, Rodriguez also said that team morale hasn’t suffered from allegations players practiced beyond NCAA time limits. The team opens its season Saturday against Western Michigan.

The school launched an investigation Sunday after the Detroit Free Press published a report in which players from the 2008 and 2009 teams said the amount of time they spend on football during the season and in the offseason greatly exceeded NCAA limits. The players spoke to the newspaper on condition of anonymity because they feared repercussions from coaches.

Rodriguez, who addressed the allegations Monday during an emotional news conference, said his players relaxed over the weekend but are eager to get the season started.

“They feel good,” he said Tuesday. “Our young men have worked very hard in camp. It’s a neat group of kids.”

September 1st, 2009, 9:30 pm
QB Coach

This hasn't been a good situation from the outset, and the U of M Athletic Department needs someone to adjust their thinking with a 2 x 4.

RR leaves his school with 1 game left in the season. Their bowl game!

RR comes to U of M changes the entire program and leads us into the laughing stock of college sports

The U of M AD should have given the nod to Ron English who was not retained and went to Louisville and now resides at Eastern Michigan.

Did I miss the headlines, did Moron of the Millenium take over as Athletic Director at U of M?

Since English just signed the contract at EMU, it's highly unlikely he'll be back before too long. The best we could hope for is to hire a... choke, gasp, hack, wheeze... OSU assistant, OC or DC away, doing a Schembechler deal.

I don't care how many yards they put up, the lack of INTEGRITY STINKS, and we need to flush this situation and really start over.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 1st, 2009, 10:19 pm
RIP Killer

Dangit, the Big Ten was supposed to kick them when they are down...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090902 ... defend+U-M

September 2nd, 2009, 10:47 am
Modmin Dude

Rodriguez knows gravity of situation
By DREW SHARP
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Rich Rodriguez looked like a beaten man — and the season hasn’t started yet.

“There’s nothing there,” he told me Monday, regarding an impending investigation into alleged wrongdoing in his program.

“There’s nothing there,” he said, staring down and slowly shaking his head. “It’s disheartening because you want to create a program where the kids are self-reliant.”

Apparently there is crying in football.

With his program under attack, Rodriguez seemed overwhelmed at his weekly news conference when pressed to defend his actions and integrity. Words lodged in his throat. And suddenly the coaching machine looked human. He looked sincere. He looked scared.

But saying he loves his players won’t save Rodriguez if U-M’s internal investigation validates player allegations raised in an exclusive Free Press investigation.

Rodriguez knows he’s in trouble. NCAA investigations are the antithesis of the American criminal justice system. You’re guilty until proven innocent.

Overworking players through the vagueness of what’s ruled mandatory and what’s ruled voluntary isn’t as sexy as academic fraud or as damning as boosters providing players with luxury SUVs and baked goods with one-hundred dollar bills as frosting.

But these accusations cut to the core of the NCAA’s biggest hypocrisy — the idyllic illusion of the student-athlete, at least as it pertains to football. And that should be Michigan’s greatest worry at the onset of the any inquisition.

The NCAA might have no alternative but to stain the sainted image of Michigan football if it means protecting the greater fallacy of major college football as a part-time academic diversion.

Football is a full-time job at Michigan. It’s a full-time job at Michigan State.

But it took a possibly poisonously divisive Michigan football family to finally bring this pretense into the national spotlight. Eventually, the NCAA might need to weigh the merits of tossing the football program with the most victories under the wheels of its morality bus.

Don’t bore me with justifications that everybody fudges the 20-hour-a-week or that every coach has somebody from his staff monitoring off-season workouts that are supposed to be at the discretion of the players.

How many times have we told the cop who pulled us over for speeding that everybody on the freeway was motoring at least 10 miles over the speed limit? Yet you got caught and got the ticket.

If it’s proven that Rodriguez broke NCAA rules, regardless of their practicality, Michigan has no alternative but to fire him — or risk exposing an internal hypocrisy of wanting to win the self-proclaimed “Michigan way.”

They can’t have it both ways.

Contact DREW SHARP: 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.

http://freep.com/article/20090831/COL08 ... situation-

September 2nd, 2009, 11:33 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

While I don't care for Rich Rodriguez myself, I think this entire thing has been blown out of proportion. It comes down to a voluntary vs. involuntary sort of thing and this will be difficult to prove. Hell, I'd wager that every major college in the country does the same thing, but you never hear about it. I believe the primary problem is that Carr recruits don't fit the system and are being phased out. This has caused them to speak out to the media because of their anger, whereas players normally would not do so. I could be completely wrong here, but this scenario seems to make the most sense to me.

September 3rd, 2009, 6:42 pm
Modmin Dude

A Michigan football parent speaks out against alleged rules violations
Posted: Today, 5 hours ago

I spoke with Craig Roh's dad, Fred, last week, before allegations that Michigan had violated NCAA rules concerning practice time were made public. He said then that one reason Craig picked Michigan is because of the relationship he built with no-nonsense strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis, someone he felt would help him be great.

Earlier this week, Fred Roh reached back out to AnnArbor.com to say he hasn't seen any sign of players being forced to work out beyond what the NCAA allows, a theme central to the allegations against Michigan.

Here's his e-mail in its entirety:

Quote:
"I am the dad of a first year Freshman football player at Michigan and had the pleasure of experiencing first-hand the recruiting process, the first summer with the UM program and his first Fall camp. I feel obligated to share with readers concrete evidence of the integrity and compliance of the Rich Rod program and staff. I do not wish to speak for others but rather describe one family’s actual experience with the Michigan program. My son had thirty-five scholarship offers and chose UM because it is one of the few schools in the country that has great football AND academics. With a 4.2 GPA, he could have gone to UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC … all great academic schools. He chose Michigan because he thought it had the best of both and because of the coaching staff.

He also selected UM because of the intensity and straight talk of the coaching staff. The first person he met was Mike Barwis. After spending an hour with Barwis, my son turned to me and said, 'He will get every ounce of potential out of me and make me the best I can be. That's what I want.' When he met Rich Rod, he was further impressed with his openness and vision. My son came here BECAUSE of the work ethic that was to be required of him. He WANTS to be pushed to the limits, not coddled and pampered. (Believe it or not there are still young people in our country who want this!)

He was recruited by one of the assistant coaches. I am here to say that the recruiter complied with every letter of the rules throughout the entire recruitment process, even the ones that seem senseless (and there are a bunch). He would not even give me a ride to lunch or pick up a $5 lunch tab because it was against the rules. He informed us of the recruiting rules over and over again. As I watched 35 schools recruit my son, I would put Michigan right there at the top of the integrity scale when it came to recruiting (as I would many other schools).

Let's talk about my son’s first summer. Again, his recruiter made it abundantly clear what we had to pay for and what the school was allowed to pay for, what our responsibilities were and what the school's were. I was tired of hearing about all the rules. It was like dealing with the IRS. There was NO push to report to school early, in fact we were told that if my son wanted to report to summer school early, it was on our dime and totally voluntary. His summer was very balanced. He VOLUNTARILY asked to watch tape as much as he could. Nobody pushed him to do it or even suggested it. He wanted to spend more time on football than what was available to him.

Lastly, I know for a fact that my son missed workouts in the summer and even missed parts of at least three practices at Fall camp so that he could attend class. He was excused with absolutely no repercussions by the coaching staff.

I am assuming that players who choose to come to UM under Rich Rod are coming here BECAUSE it’s hard. They want to become the best. They want to be pushed. They want great academics and great football environment. I have heard critics say they want to protect the “rights” of the players so that they can have a balanced life at Michigan. My son did not come to Michigan to have a balanced life. He came to excel and achieve in all areas of college life. He has been at Michigan now since June and it has exceeded his expectations. He has told me numerous times, 'Dad, I don’t want to offend you, but I’m not homesick at all.' Some critics think they are doing these kids a favor by easing up the workload and, in reality, they are undermining the very reason the kids chose UM!

A concerned football parent.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/a-michig ... iolations/

September 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm
Modmin Dude

While I don't care for Rich Rodriguez myself, I think this entire thing has been blown out of proportion. It comes down to a voluntary vs. involuntary sort of thing and this will be difficult to prove. Hell, I'd wager that every major college in the country does the same thing, but you never hear about it. I believe the primary problem is that Carr recruits don't fit the system and are being phased out. This has caused them to speak out to the media because of their anger, whereas players normally would not do so. I could be completely wrong here, but this scenario seems to make the most sense to me.

I have to agree with you here. While I too am not a big fan of Rich Rod, I don't think he has done anything wrong here. I also think it would be beneficial if Carr would speak out in support of U of M and Rich Rod; isn't he supposed to be a Michigan man??? That being said, as Sharp said, if the investigation turns out to be true, there may be no choice for U of M than to fire Rich Rod and start over next year.

September 4th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Michigan football found to have exceeded practice-time limits
Angelique S. Chengelis and Mike Wilkinson / The Detroit News
Ann Arbor -- The University of Michigan football program has been found by the NCAA to have exceeded countable practice-time limits, and while the program was not charged with a loss of institutional control, two allegations relate to how the institution and coach monitored the program.

Another allegation indicated that during the summer, the football staff improperly disciplined students who missed class.

Michigan also could be considered a repeat NCAA violator because it overlaps the NCAA investigation in the Michigan men's basketball program in 1996.

Michigan received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA on Monday, and university president Mary Sue Coleman, incoming athletic director Dave Brandon and football coach Rich Rodriguez during a news conference in the Regents Room at the Fleming Administration Building, detailed the NCAA allegations Tuesday.

Brandon, who said Michigan has not outlined its own self-imposed sanctions, would not differentiate between what would be considered major or minor violations.

"I'm not sure I understand the difference between major and minor," Brandon said. "We need to overlay what the NCAA is telling us with what international investigation is telling us. We have to find where the mistakes made, how were they made and was there any intent.

"I think what you will find there are not any instances of anyone purposely maliciously falsifying (reports)."

Michigan has 90 days to file a response. It would then go before the NCAA infractions committee in August.

"We take pride in the integrity of our athletics programs," Coleman said. "We also take full responsibility for knowing and following NCAA regulations. We will make all necessary changes ... what we will not do is make excuses."

Brandon, who officially will take over as athletic director on March 8, went over the NCAA allegations.

"This is a tough day," Brandon said. "We must first and foremost take full responsibility for the events that brought us to this point."

Rodriguez, who said last fall when the allegations were first made that he did not violate rules, said Tuesday that he will improve how the program is monitored.

"As the head coach, the football program is my responsibility," Rodriguez said. "I will do all I can to carefully monitor all activities. Our philosophy has been to a very open program and always be transparent and have an open communication with compliance."

Brandon said Rodriguez is not in danger of losing his job as Michigan's head coach.

"Rich Rodriguez is our football coach and he will be our football coach," Brandon said. "There's nothing I see that leads me to believe we should change."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100223 ... z0gO8timaU

Oh, boy. Just another reason for me to hate RichRod. But, in all fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if many other schools do the exact same thing. Michigan just got reported, while many others do not.

February 23rd, 2010, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

You could find lots probably... but he got caught. I hope UM doesn't turn into a dog crap school over all this...

February 23rd, 2010, 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next