View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Michigan under investegation... 
RIP Killer

Can't we just drop Michigan now and have 10 real teams in the Big Ten?

February 23rd, 2010, 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't know RR personally, but a man's actions speak louder than words.

When he left WVU right before their Championship game that told me that he was not the man for this job. One: he was from outside of the conference, and or style of program, Two: His team (WVU) deserved to have him lead the way to their big game.

Since he's been here the Football program has been in conflict, now there are allegations (now proven) that the U of M has done things wrong.

I really believe we blew a significant chance by not promoting Edwards to the Head Coaching position, and developing our coaches from within.

Lloyd's problem in the past was that he was too conservative and not willing to blow schools out. I love and MISS his football style, but he also failed to blow away schools too! Edwards was highly aggressive as noted by his defenses, and quite possibly would of brought that killer mentality along with him. Sadly, we may never know, and we'll have to continue in a 2nd rate program with fragile Qb's, just for the sake of the "Spread Offense."

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 24th, 2010, 9:00 am
RIP Killer

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-footb ... d-brandon/

February 24th, 2010, 3:55 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

USC should be being stripped of all their winnings for the last ten years, and yet they come after UM.

Such bias.

February 25th, 2010, 1:34 am
RIP Killer

UM came up first, USC is screwed worse than MI if they are guilty...

February 25th, 2010, 10:32 am
UM came up first, USC is screwed worse than MI if they are guilty...

Reggie Bush and his family getting their house paid for them came up 5-6 years ago... The NCAA chose to turn their heads to the mess over there.

February 25th, 2010, 10:57 am
RIP Killer

Good point, but USC is the darling of college football... UM's coach is RR. Likable factor just isn't there...

To be honest, ESPN is shafting the coverage on USC which is showing a huge bias compared to how they normally cover things.

February 25th, 2010, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Michigan under investegation...
What a mess, hope they did enough to make the NCAA happy. I would suspect that this might just push them to give RR the ultimatum this year.

Quote:
Michigan self-imposes penalties
EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
The University of Michigan on Tuesday admitted to a series of violations in its storied football program, but insisted the problems related to practice time and the activities of graduate assistants were not enough to warrant major punishment from the NCAA.

Michigan released details of self-imposed sanctions it hopes will satisfy the NCAA, whose staff will hold a hearing on the case in August. A final decision on NCAA penalties could take months.

Michigan's self-imposed penalties

Penalties self-imposed by the Michigan football program Tuesday:

• Cut back practice and training time by 130 hours over the next two years, starting this summer.

• Cut number of assistants from five to three and banned them from practices, games or coaching meetings for the rest of 2010.

• Recommendation for two years of probation. The school said it should not be tagged as a repeat offender despite a 2003 scandal in the basketball program.

• Letters of reprimand issued to seven people -- including head coach Rich Rodriguez.

• Acknowledged for first time that staffer Alex Herron was fired after his claim of not being present during some activities was discredited by players.

Michigan said it will cut back practice and training time by 130 hours over the next two years, starting this summer. It also trimmed the number of assistants -- the so-called quality control staff -- from five to three and banned them from practices, games or coaching meetings for the rest of 2010.

"I'm glad to get that over with," coach Rich Rodriguez said Monday night in Midland at the Michigan AP Sports Editors Meeting. "But that is just part of the process."

The self-imposed sanctions included a recommendation for two years of probation for the NCAA's winningest football program, which is 8-16 in two seasons under Rodriguez. The school said it should not be tagged as a repeat offender despite a 2003 scandal in the basketball program.

"We're imposing on ourselves what we believe is corrective actions," athletic director David Brandon said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Ultimately, the NCAA will decide what the appropriate sanctions and penalties are."

The violations came to light last fall during a second straight losing season for Rodriguez, who will return for his third season at Michigan this fall. Anonymous players told the Detroit Free Press that they were exceeding NCAA limits on practice and training time, prompting school and NCAA investigations.

The NCAA has outlined five potentially major rules violations, all related to practices and workouts. It accused Rodriguez of failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance in his program -- a charge Michigan vehemently denied even as it acknowledged an overall failure by the athletic department.

"We think that is overly harsh," Brandon said. "We do believe that there were things he could've done better and Rich would be the first to agree that details he delegated shouldn't have been in retrospect."

Brandon said the school decided not to take away scholarships or eliminate coaching positions.

"That's usually a result of something deemed to be an offense that created a competitive advantage," Brandon said. "Those kind of sanctions are also typically related to academic fraud, gambling, recruiting violations and extra benefits."

Michigan told the NCAA that letters of reprimand were issued to seven people -- including Rodriguez -- who shared responsibility for the violations. One staffer who worked under Rodriguez at West Virginia before joining him at Michigan, Alex Herron, was fired after his claim of not being present during some activities was discredited by players.

The school said two main problems -- too many people acting as coaches and too many hours being put into football by the players -- occurred in part because of "inattention by the football staff."

"The university agrees that it failed as a whole to adequately monitor its football program to assure compliance regarding the limitations upon the number, duties and activities of countabale football coaches and the time limits" for practice," it said. "The university also agrees that Rodriguez failed to satisfy the monitoring responsibilities required of head coaches."

After his hire from West Virginia, Rodriguez filled all five quality control positions in the program -- essentially assistants to assistants who were paid $17 per hour to "run errands for the coaches, check on student-athlete class attendance and academic issues, and chart plays."

The school said the staff "crossed the line in specific situations and engaged in 'coaching activities" as defined by the NCAA.

Rodriguez also told school investigators he didn't know about forms used at Michigan to track athletes' activities until last summer, 18 months after he was hired, and he said no one ever told him those forms were not being filed with compliance officials by his program.

Rodriguez's response was submitted by his attorney, Scott Tompsett. He said the coach was "very disappointed that his administrators failed to provide the job descriptions on multiple occasions and he is disappointed that the compliance staff never brought their failure to his attention. Rodriguez has always had an open-door policy for anyone to bring matters to his attention."

The school said it had discovered the paperwork problem and was working on it when the story broke. The bigger issue was the lack of communication. The school said the football program didn't provide requested information to the compliance office, which failed to alert Rodriguez -- who "should have paid closer attention to his subordinates."

Rodriguez regretted that he didn't adequately monitor certain aspects of his program, but added in his response that following NCAA bylaws was not a "one-man job."

"We're not happy to be in this process, but we're handling it in a professional and transparent manner before we move on," Brandon said. "The NCAA will hear our case in August, then will deliberate as long as is needed -- and that could be weeks -- before making a decision that we can agree with or choose to appeal."

May 25th, 2010, 8:43 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Fire DickRod!

May 27th, 2010, 7:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

slybri19 wrote:
Fire DickRod!

I think he's gone after this season.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 28th, 2010, 8:17 am
QB Coach

One of my buddies who is a HUGE Whining Irish fan, stated that if RR goes that Michigan should try for one of these two coaches. The first being the former Texas Tech Coach who was humiliated because daddy was an ESPN analyst who paid massive money for a no good son. According to what he's heard.

The other would be LSU's coach who is not in good standing with the almamater. THoughts?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 31st, 2010, 10:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

DevilDoc wrote:
One of my buddies who is a HUGE Whining Irish fan, stated that if RR goes that Michigan should try for one of these two coaches. The first being the former Texas Tech Coach who was humiliated because daddy was an ESPN analyst who paid massive money for a no good son. According to what he's heard.

The other would be LSU's coach who is not in good standing with the almamater. THoughts?

Or we could hire Jim Harbaugh.

May 31st, 2010, 10:50 pm
BillySims wrote:
DevilDoc wrote:

I don't think Harbaugh is going anywhere any time soon...

June 1st, 2010, 10:51 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
DevilDoc wrote:

I don't think Harbaugh is going anywhere any time soon...

I am absolutely sure that Harbaugh has Michigan as a team he can leave Stanford for and I believe he would set a land speed record getting to An Arbor.

June 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2