View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Russel Okung 
Team MVP

Post Russel Okung
I know theres a lot of people on here, including myself, that arent REAL high on Okung. Yes, hes a good tackle, but definetly no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. After watching him today, i still feel the same way. He had a good day bench pressing, but man i tell ya, he moves his feet as if anchors were attached to them. I just cannot see that aspect of him being succesful in the NFL, especially with speed rushers on the edge.

Call me crazy (ive been told it many times before), but if I had to pick a tackle, it would be Bruce Campbell. Ive been saying for a while (not on here), that he will, in the end, be the #1 tackle taken. He showed a lot of quickness, showed he was athletic, fast for a lineman (4.85 40), strength (34 reps). He even has better size than Okung.

I wouldnt take a tackle with the #2 pick, but if i had to pick one, right now its Bruce Campbell.

February 28th, 2010, 2:44 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Russel Okung
kdsberman wrote:
I know theres a lot of people on here, including myself, that arent REAL high on Okung. Yes, hes a good tackle, but definetly no Jake Long or Joe Thomas. After watching him today, i still feel the same way. He had a good day bench pressing, but man i tell ya, he moves his feet as if anchors were attached to them. I just cannot see that aspect of him being succesful in the NFL, especially with speed rushers on the edge.

Call me crazy (ive been told it many times before), but if I had to pick a tackle, it would be Bruce Campbell. Ive been saying for a while (not on here), that he will, in the end, be the #1 tackle taken. He showed a lot of quickness, showed he was athletic, fast for a lineman (4.85 40), strength (34 reps). He even has better size than Okung.

I wouldnt take a tackle with the #2 pick, but if i had to pick one, right now its Bruce Campbell.

Last year Lydon Murtha ran the fastest 40 of any offensive lineman (I believe it was a 4.87) and put up a respectable number of lifts. He was taken in the seventh round by Detroit, put on the PS, and later signed by Miami, and never started. He barely saw any playing time.

Campbell has 17 collegiate games to his credit, and a history of injuries that caused that few number of games. Murtha was the same way....great athlete, but couldn't stay healthy.

If you are going to invest millions of dollars in a player, you want him to be able to stay on the field. Campbell has not shown the ability to do that. Okung, however, has shown great durability and has solid technique. He won't be asked to run 40 yards, he needs to be able to move laterally, and be able to backpedal in balance. The forty has NOTHING to do with offensive linemen, or even most of the positions on the football field. That is why those results are discounted by so many coaches and scouts.

February 28th, 2010, 8:23 am
NFL Team Captain

While, I haven't been all that impressed with Okung, I think Campbell's 40 time will have fans falling in love with him but I'm siding with M2K on this. Campbell will go higher than he should, but that is what the combine is for. Perform well and increase your stock!

February 28th, 2010, 9:46 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

While, I haven't been all that impressed with Okung, I think Campbell's 40 time will have fans falling in love with him but I'm siding with M2K on this. Campbell will go higher than he should, but that is what the combine is for. Perform well and increase your stock!

Have to agree with you on Okung, feel he is overrated. In regards to Campbell, hopefully he does go higher, maybe in the 1st, to anyone else but us, and drive more talented players down.

February 28th, 2010, 11:10 am
Team MVP

Ya you guys do have good points. Though I do like Campbell, maybe I am underrating the other tackles. I just remember Long and Thomas, and how quick they were in their drills. I just dont see it in Okung, but really see it in Campbell. Actually, the most out of Campbell.

February 28th, 2010, 1:04 pm
QB Coach

As a Maryland Alum I like Bruce but I think he's a second or third round talent. His name was gaining steam after the season ended and some people have him in the first round in mocks. PFT posted an article that teams have been watching his game tape and weren't all that impressed, one team even calling it "terrible". While I don't think that's the case, I think he needs a little more time to develop. He has tons of upside and potential so someone is going to reach for him. I'd take him mid-second if I could.

February 28th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Okung suffered a groin pull and won't continue in the combine.

February 28th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I think Okung is a bit of an underrated prospect. He has 36" arms and just put up 38 reps. Arm length is important for left tackles and 38 reps is extremely impressive for a player with arms as long as Okung's. Right now, I'm sort of inclined to think that Okung is a better prospect than both Smith and Monroe last year.

That said, a lot of analysts are overselling the Lions' need for an offensive tackle. Backus is not good, but it's not like he's a sieve either: he's just mediocre. In short Backus > Sammie Lee Hill and Grady Jackson. Defensive tackle is a much greater need, and the defensive tackle prospects in this draft are much better than any in recent history. We don't even need to get into the whole need vs. BPA debate because in this case, need and BPA both dictate Suh or McCoy. That said, if the Lions can engineer some sort of trade down, I wouldn't object to Okung at all.

February 28th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Varsity Captain

Ugh if I hear Caputo go off on 97.1 about how great Okung is, especially when Suh and McCoy have alot to prove, Im probably gonna kill someone. If anything I would Okung has so much hype because hes the number 1 tackle, but more or less by default.

March 1st, 2010, 12:34 am
RIP Killer

Ugh if I hear Caputo go off on 97.1 about how great Okung is, especially when Suh and McCoy have alot to prove, Im probably gonna kill someone. If anything I would Okung has so much hype because hes the number 1 tackle, but more or less by default.

Caputo is an idiot who tries to force his opinion on others than just stating it and moving on. I don't like the guy, never have, and I think Detroit radio would be better off if he moved to Alaska to cover the Iditarod rather than talking Detroit sports.

That said, I don't think there has been a ton of hype on Okung. Most of the talk to this point has been Suh vs. McCoy, Bradford vs. Clausen. Okung has been discussed somewhat, but never as a top overall pick and I haven't heard all that much about how great he is. Most folks accept him as the top available tackle because he is a solid all-around player. He isn't a phenomenal pass protector, but he's got the skills to be among the top ten in the NFL. He's not a tremendous run blocker, but he's better than most NFL LTs in that regard. No other tackle is as well rounded as he is. Bruce Campbell, though he is a far better athlete than Okung, is largely unproven and from a technical standpoint is a bum compared to Okung, Bulaga or even Davis. Being a tackle in the NFL is not just about quickness, strength or length of arms. Proper technique promotes balance, puts you in proper position and gives you better leverage. Campbell has gotten by on athletics rather than technique. That's his downfall. He is definitely not the second best tackle in this draft, even if he gets selected as the second tackle.

You know who Bruce Campbell reminds me of? Jason Smith from last year. The Rams got sucked into the hype of his "athleticism" and now they have a guy they don't even know can play RT effectively for them, let alone LT.

My OT rankings:

Okung
Bulaga
Davis
Williams
Brown
Campbell

I think Campbell will go before Davis, but after Bulaga. Some team will be intrigued by his athletic talents......and make a huge mistake in the process.

March 1st, 2010, 10:25 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I haven't been a huge fan of Okung since I saw him play against Texas A&M. Von Miller abused him in that game and Okung was lucky that his QB was getting rid of the ball so quickly. With that said, I still believe he is the best OT in this draft, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Jake Long or Joe Thomas. I think he'll be a good LT in the NFL, just not an elite one. Is that worth the 2nd overall pick?

As for Bruce Campbell, I loved his Evil Dead movies, especially Army of Darkness, but I digress. His "football" film may not be good, but that won't matter to Al Davis once he sees his measurables. I'm convinced more than ever that the Raiders will draft him with the 8th overall now.

March 1st, 2010, 10:46 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I haven't been a huge fan of Okung since I saw him play against Texas A&M. Von Miller abused him in that game and Okung was lucky that his QB was getting rid of the ball so quickly. With that said, I still believe he is the best OT in this draft, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Jake Long or Joe Thomas. I think he'll be a good LT in the NFL, just not an elite one. Is that worth the 2nd overall pick?

As for Bruce Campbell, I loved his Evil Dead movies, especially Army of Darkness, but I digress. His "football" film may not be good, but that won't matter to Al Davis once he sees his measurables. I'm convinced more than ever that the Raiders will draft him with the 8th overall now.

Ha! Have you seen Burn Notice? It's fun seeing Bruce Campbell in that role again. When I saw the numbers on Campbell the first thought of mine was Oakland already has his name written on their draft card.

March 1st, 2010, 2:10 pm
QB Coach

Excuse my limited football knowledge, but I am really starting to like the possibilities and sounds of Veldheer from Hillsdale. First of all he's 6'8" but it sounds as if he's got the best feet in the nation as far as OT's are concerned.

I would like to see the Lions take some beef like that, especially since he's a local guy. That would be a nice shot in the arm for Michigan schools, especially since our colleges shop around the nation for talent more than homegrown.

Lions taking Delmas from smaller WMU, and possibly Veldheer from Hillsdale could be nice.

BTW, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, just didn't want to start another thread concerning OT's.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 1st, 2010, 9:30 pm
Veteran General Manager

As a Maryland Alum I like Bruce but I think he's a second or third round talent. His name was gaining steam after the season ended and some people have him in the first round in mocks. PFT posted an article that teams have been watching his game tape and weren't all that impressed, one team even calling it "terrible". While I don't think that's the case, I think he needs a little more time to develop. He has tons of upside and potential so someone is going to reach for him. I'd take him mid-second if I could.

Bruce Campbell is NOT 2nd or 3rd round talent. He won't last past the 1st round after his combines performance. He blew up. And he just made a whole lotta money.

March 2nd, 2010, 1:45 am
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Bruce Campbell is NOT 2nd or 3rd round talent. He won't last past the 1st round after his combines performance. He blew up. And he just made a whole lotta money.

What did he do at the Combine that was so wonderful? He ran a fast forty. So? How many OTs have to run 40 yards real fast? He did well in the lifting portion. So? Upper body strength and endurance is not as important as technique, balance and good footwork.

I agree that Campbell has immense athleticism. However, he has had a slew of injuries, has very limited college experience and his technique is raw as a result. Remember Jason Smith last year? He had a great Combine, but was seen as a raw talent with lots of potential? Do you think St. Louis is happy they drafted him, since he couldn't even win the starting RT job, let alone not even sniff the LT spot?

Athleticism for an offensive lineman is a great thing, but ONLY if they have experience and technique to back it up. Campbell has neither of those. So while he may have first round athleticism, his overall body of work is more second round.

He will be drafted in the first round, no doubt. It only takes one senile old man living by the Pacific Ocean to fall in love with him and take him to make him a "first round talent". But in truth, he should not be a first round player.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next