View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 8:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Sleepers? 
QB Coach

Veldheer's footwork is supposed to be pristine from what I read in another thread, that had him climbing the boards. I hope that the Lions do the exact same thing they did with Delmas, and play it off and snag him quickly. Some things you just can't coach! Leadership and character are just a couple.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 4th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I was a big fan of Myron Rolle while he was at fsu and I think he'd be a great pickup with our 5th rd pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816af34b/Rolle-s-future

Daileytribune.com
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS — No one knows where Florida State safety Myron Rolle will land in the NFL draft.

Chances are the Detroit Lions will at least take a look.

For one reason, they need a safety.

But there’s more. Lions general manager Martin Mayhew was also a Florida State defensive back. And after playing in the NFL, Mayhew went to law school and got his degree from Georgetown. That might give Mayhew more insight into the workings of Rolle’s mind.

He’s an interesting case. Rolle gave up his final year of college eligibility to study at Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar, where he earned a degree in medical anthropology. He never gave up the dream of playing NFL football. His plans after football are quite clear, he wants to go to medical school and become a neurosurgeon.

Rolle might not have been the fastest prospect at this NFL Combine, but he was most likely the smartest.

The Lions — and every other NFL team — love a smart player.

And Rolle believes he can transfer what he’s learned in the classroom to the NFL.

“You learn discipline, you learn time management, you learn structure, you learn organization, and as a football player, those are obviously valuable assets and traits you can use to be great whether in film studies or on the field,’’ Rolle said.

Still, he’s a question mark. NFL general managers want to know he’s committed to the NFL, that he won’t skip out after a few years to go to med school.

“I do want it, I want it as much as anybody who’s out here right now. I’m here to prove that by the way, I can perform during the drills, running the 40-yard-dash, the bench press and doing everything,” Rolle said.

Competing, challenging myself and testing my mettle in front of all 32 NFL teams,’’ Rolle said. “This is a very important time for me in this stage of my life and I’m looking forward to stepping up to the challenge.’’

Rolle played two seasons at Florida State and started 23 consecutive games.

“As a football player I would say I’m accountable, I’m intelligent, a very good tackler, athletic and someone who is aggressive, too, who wants to come and meet the point of contact,’’ Rolle said.

Other than running fast and passing all the Combine tests, Rolle just needs to prove his commitment. He’s been playing football since he was 6, it’s in his blood and he doesn’t want to stop now. He’s hoping to play for at least a decade and maybe 12 years in the NFL before heading to medical school.

It will take him another 10-12 years of school and training before he can practice neurosurgery.

“I read a book by Ben Carson, a doctor at Johns Hopkins, who inspired me to want to go into neurosurgery, go to med school, practice medicine here in the United States and take my expertise to other parts of the world, in particular low- to middle-income countries and help build their infrastructure by understanding the people, the culture and the customs on the ground level,’’ Rolle said.

Rolle’s ambitions are lofty, but there’s no reason to doubt his sincerity.

Now he just has to convince NFL personnel that he’s their guy.
[/url]

March 11th, 2010, 1:41 am
What did he run in the 40? I have to think that he'll go before the 5th round, but I could be wrong. He would have likely been a top 15 pick if he would have came out right after college.

March 11th, 2010, 2:16 pm
RIP Killer

What did he run in the 40? I have to think that he'll go before the 5th round, but I could be wrong. He would have likely been a top 15 pick if he would have came out right after college.

He didn't run all that well....somewhere in the 4.67 range I believe. He did do 21 lifts in the bench, and measured at 6'2", 215 lbs. Very solid kid. From what I recall when I was watching the video during position drills, he wasn't a very fluid guy though. Stiff hips, lost speed when he turned.

My preference is to find a guy who is a ball hawker by nature to play FS and let Delmas be the run support style SS.

March 11th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

his stats aren’t all that great mostly from playing in an obsolete defense and in a position that didnt let him play freely or showcase his skills.

March 11th, 2010, 6:28 pm
RIP Killer

his stats aren’t all that great mostly from playing in an obsolete defense and in a position that didnt let him play freely or showcase his skills.

The defense he played in had no affect on how he performed during the Combines. I like the kid...I like his intelligence and I like how he's built very strongly. But he was stiffer and slower than I would ahve expected. His stats got nothing to do with it.

On a side note, I was reading about this kid from Southern Illinois, a running back, that was turning heads at the Northwestern Pro Day. Can't recall his name and too lazy to look it up, but he sounds like he's worthy of taking a flyer on late in the draft.

March 12th, 2010, 6:30 pm
QB Coach

yvesill wrote:

The defense he played in had no affect on how he performed during the Combines. I like the kid...I like his intelligence and I like how he's built very strongly. But he was stiffer and slower than I would ahve expected. His stats got nothing to do with it.

On a side note, I was reading about this kid from Southern Illinois, a running back, that was turning heads at the Northwestern Pro Day. Can't recall his name and too lazy to look it up, but he sounds like he's worthy of taking a flyer on late in the draft.

His name is like Deji Kasim or something. His pro day numbers were sent out by his agent so I'd be a little suspect of them.

March 12th, 2010, 7:15 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
yvesill wrote:

His name is like Deji Kasim or something. His pro day numbers were sent out by his agent so I'd be a little suspect of them.

Posted on: March 11, 2010 6:43 pm
Score: 142
Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

Nation's leading rusher/Combine-snub wows scouts

The focus might have initially been on the Northwestern players at their Pro Day this morning, but the scouts representing an estimated 20 NFL teams instead got a show from the nation's leading rusher, Southern Illinois running back Deji Karim .

Karim rushed for 1,694 yards and 18 touchdowns this season for the Salukis and was noted as a player to watch after a solid showing at the Texas vs. Nation game.

Chad Reuter, who scouted the practices in person noted: Karim, however, looked powerful and quick as a runner and also a threat as a receiver on screens. He runs very low, making him hard to find and bring down.
Still, his production and solid showing at the TvN certainly didn't prepare scouts for the eye-popping workout he put forth Thursday.

Karim measured in at 5-8 3/4 and 209 pounds Thursday. He was timed by scouts in attendance at 4.38 seconds and posted a 43" vertical jump, a 10'3" broad jump and banged out 19 repetitions of 225 pounds.

Karim had been viewed as a late round or priority free agent prospect, but his spectacular results in the workout prove that his game-day prowess is no fluke.

It is also important to note that several Salukis have gone on to enjoy NFL success -- the most recent big name being another running back with a very different style of running than the elusive Karim -- New York Giants' behemoth Brandon Jacobs.
I had referred to the Northwestern Pro Day in an earlier blog posting, but focused more on the Wildcats' players and Western Illinois cornerback Patrick Stoudamire, Jr, who, like Karim, wasn't invited to the Combine despite a sparkling collegiate career.

Stoudamire measured in at 5-10 1/4, 205 pounds. He looked fluid in positional drills and measured out well, turning in a 4.45 second dash in the 40, a 6.67 in the 3-cone, a 3.95 short shuttle and a 9'11 broad jump. Stoudamire also lifted the bar 11 times.

March 13th, 2010, 9:01 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

So much for Karim as a 7th rd- UDFA that I was hoping for. I brought his name up when he was scheduled to play in the Texas vs the Nation game. He's a good player both on and off the field and plays with passion. He can hit the hole and bounce it outside while being a decent pass catcher and blocker. Out of just about any RB he was the one I was hoping Detroit would land. With those kinds of numbers it might take a 5th round pick to get him now.

March 13th, 2010, 10:32 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Here's another I found on this kid. What do you think, 4th or 5th round prospect?

Deji Karim, Southern Illinois
Height: 5-9. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.37.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 43. Broad: 10-3.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
3/11/10: Deji Karim had a very impressive Pro Day, running a 40 in 4.37 seconds despite weighing in at 210 pounds. He also had a 43-inch vertical. Karim rushed for 1,694 yards and 18 touchdowns on a 7.1 YPC average for Southern Illinois in 2009.

March 13th, 2010, 11:24 am
RIP Killer

Here's another I found on this kid. What do you think, 4th or 5th round prospect?

Deji Karim, Southern Illinois
Height: 5-9. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.37.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 43. Broad: 10-3.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
3/11/10: Deji Karim had a very impressive Pro Day, running a 40 in 4.37 seconds despite weighing in at 210 pounds. He also had a 43-inch vertical. Karim rushed for 1,694 yards and 18 touchdowns on a 7.1 YPC average for Southern Illinois in 2009.

I think he goes round five, myself. There are still several RBs that will likely get drafted ahead of him, but he may go just before or after Jocquie Bell.

The Lions had a guy last year very similar to Karim....remember Tristan Davis? When Kevin Smith got hurt, I wanted the Lions to bring him back. They should have kept him on the PS, at least. Idiots......

March 13th, 2010, 2:42 pm
RIP Killer

Post Canada's Best
CBS Sports wrote:
The newest Canadian prospect to watch
With NFL scouts leaving no stones unturned in their search for talent, expect there to be some buzz developing soon around wide receiver Steven Turner.

Turner dominated last weekend's CFL Evaluation Camp (the Canadian Football League's version of the Combine), topping all receivers in every category tested. Like the Indianapolis Combine for which NFL prospects are tested, wide receivers are asked to do a variety of drills. Turner beat all other receivers tested in the 40-yard dash (4.31), 10-yard split (1.42), 20-yard split (2.44), vertical jump (43.5"), broad jump (10'4.5"), shuttle (4.03) and even the bench press (20).

The 4.31 showing in the 40-yard dash is the fastest ever recorded at the CFL Evaluation Camp.

Turners' numbers would have ranked at or near the top in every category of receivers tested this year in Indianapolis.

The 5-09, 185 receiver was rarely used at The Bishop's, catching only 11 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown. He finished fourth on the team in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. He was also a dangerous punt returner, however, averaging 20.4 yards per return and scoring twice.

The NFL has started looking more often to their neighbors in the north for prospects. Last year the Chargers selected former Western Ontario defensive tackle Vaughn Martin in the fourth round. The Miami Dolphins signed outside linebacker Cameron Wake last year. The Seahawks recently signed another pass rusher from Canada, Rickey Foley.

Turner's eye-popping athleticism could result in a high selection in Canada's draft, which takes place in May.

It also could result in his being drafted into the NFL only a few weeks earlier

Sounds like the Lions should consider this guy with their seventh round pick......if he's still on the board. A bit small, but plenty fast and seems like he can return punts successfully. Worth the pick, IMHO.

March 17th, 2010, 2:03 pm
National Champion

IDK if he was mentioned or not, but Brandon Banks out of Kansas State. He's tiny (5' 7", 150), but he runs a freakin' 4.24! He might be a great late round pick for the Lions return game.

Another guy is Damola Adenji from Oregon State. He's not as fast as banks (4.45), but has decent size (6' 3" 219), and he might be decent as a backup reciever as well.

March 18th, 2010, 1:20 pm
QB Coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... ist_footer

diamonds in the rough

March 31st, 2010, 7:23 pm
QB Coach

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html

April 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next