View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 What's STL going to do? 
RIP Killer

Quote:
If the Rams do take Bradford #1, then TB might be willing to swing a deal to get Suh, whom they are said to want desperately. It would be worth it, in my opinion, for the Lions to make the trade if TB is willing to give a third rounder or better to get their man. The depth in this draft is such that a move like that would be worth it, since I really don't think there's that great a difference between McCoy and Suh in terms of talent.

While you're probably right in that McCoy is not that much worse than Suh and a high 3rd would be worth the swap, I still wouldn't make that trade simply on the principal that the Lions are getting ripped off.

TB has two second rounders. I'd want the higher one. If they refuse, then a 2010 third and a 2011 first.

Not every trade is going to be judged by the Trade Value Chart, particularly in this draft.

For example...according to the TVC, if San Francisco wanted to move up to the #2 spot, it would take both of their first rounders, their second rounder and their fourth round pick. In this draft, that's a high potential for swapping four starters for one guy. That just doesn't make sense.

I understand that TB has two second round picks. I said I would accept their third round pick or greater to make the swap. I wouldn't take the third rounder right off the bat. But asking for their #35 pick in exchange won't happen, not in this draft. I'd consider the Lions extremely fortunate to get their #42 pick in return for a first round swap. It'd be akin to the deal Millen pulled on Cleveland for the 6-7 swap in 2004.

The third round pick in exchange may seem low according to the TVC, but there are two factors at play here:

1. If both DTs are on the board, Detroit is not in a great bargaining position. Tampa has many needs, and would certainly scoff at giving up a high second round pick (35 or 42) to move up one spot and secure Suh. They can have McCoy, who may fit their defense better anyways, and still get a first round talent at either 35 or 42. Why make the move?

2. With the high third round pick, Detroit would still be looking at getting a starting caliber player. The value of the players still on the board in the 65-75 range is much better this year than in typical drafts. When it comes to determining trade value, that has to be taken into account.

If nothing else, the Lions could ask for their third rounder this year, and maybe a third next year....but a third this year PLUS a first next year? Not going to happen.

I think the best we could hope for would be to get their #42 pick and a sixth rounder, and give them our fourth rounder in return.

March 11th, 2010, 5:31 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
If the Rams do take Bradford #1, then TB might be willing to swing a deal to get Suh, whom they are said to want desperately. It would be worth it, in my opinion, for the Lions to make the trade if TB is willing to give a third rounder or better to get their man. The depth in this draft is such that a move like that would be worth it, since I really don't think there's that great a difference between McCoy and Suh in terms of talent.

While you're probably right in that McCoy is not that much worse than Suh and a high 3rd would be worth the swap, I still wouldn't make that trade simply on the principal that the Lions are getting ripped off.

TB has two second rounders. I'd want the higher one. If they refuse, then a 2010 third and a 2011 first.

Not every trade is going to be judged by the Trade Value Chart, particularly in this draft.

For example...according to the TVC, if San Francisco wanted to move up to the #2 spot, it would take both of their first rounders, their second rounder and their fourth round pick. In this draft, that's a high potential for swapping four starters for one guy. That just doesn't make sense.

I understand that TB has two second round picks. I said I would accept their third round pick or greater to make the swap. I wouldn't take the third rounder right off the bat. But asking for their #35 pick in exchange won't happen, not in this draft. I'd consider the Lions extremely fortunate to get their #42 pick in return for a first round swap. It'd be akin to the deal Millen pulled on Cleveland for the 6-7 swap in 2004.

The third round pick in exchange may seem low according to the TVC, but there are two factors at play here:

1. If both DTs are on the board, Detroit is not in a great bargaining position. Tampa has many needs, and would certainly scoff at giving up a high second round pick (35 or 42) to move up one spot and secure Suh. They can have McCoy, who may fit their defense better anyways, and still get a first round talent at either 35 or 42. Why make the move?

2. With the high third round pick, Detroit would still be looking at getting a starting caliber player. The value of the players still on the board in the 65-75 range is much better this year than in typical drafts. When it comes to determining trade value, that has to be taken into account.

If nothing else, the Lions could ask for their third rounder this year, and maybe a third next year....but a third this year PLUS a first next year? Not going to happen.

I think the best we could hope for would be to get their #42 pick and a sixth rounder, and give them our fourth rounder in return.

Agreed. I think what we are missing is that if we can swap with TB and garner a 3rd from it, there is a greater chance to trade back with the Redskins sitting at #4 who I do NOT feel is ok with Cambell. That MAY prompt someone to try and trade in if there is high enough value for Clausen. I'm dreaming, but everyone knows someone will call and make an offer to TB or whoever is at #3, might not be much, but it will be there.

March 11th, 2010, 5:40 pm
NFL Team Captain

If St. Louis has any doubts on Bradford, they could go after a guy like Derek Anderson and draft Suh or McCoy at 1. I know Anderson may not be the long term answer for them, but I don't beleive that they are anticipating winning the Superbowl this year?

If something like that were to happen, then we could find ourselves in a great position to trade out of 2.

March 14th, 2010, 11:52 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Rams closing in on QB with #1 pick … If one takes a report this morning in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch seriously, and there doesn’t seem to be any real reason not to, then the Rams appear to be all that closer to opting to select Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford with the first overall pick at the 2010 draft. The Rams are reportedly pleased with medical reports on Bradford’s surgicaly repaired shoulder. According to St. Louis G.M. Billy Devaney “"everything up to now, he's passed with flying colors. The medical reports are excellent. We went through the interview process, and he's an impressive guy.” Like just about every other team in need of a top young QB, though, the Rams are anxiously awaiting to se Bradford workout and throw the ball at his special pro day at Oklahoma next Monday. Says Devaney "that will be the final test." In the meantime, the Rams have been keeping close tabs on Bradford progress. Devaney and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur met Bradford last week in Florida and will have him in for a pre-draft visit in St. Louis on April 12th. The article adds though that the Rams still haven’t totally ruled out trading the pick. Presumably that means a deal with Tampa Bay should the Buccaneers want to jump Detroit in order to grab Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh ahead of the Lions, although there is a growing buzz around the league that the Lions might actually be thinking of taking Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung at the spot after shoring up the DL through several free agent additions. The Rams could probably afford to drop down to the 2-3 spots and still get Bradford, however, if the former Sooner star is indeed their guy they couldn’t go any further because Washington would almost surely grab him for themselves with the 4th pick. Meanwhile it appears from the comments of Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz in an interview prior to this week’s spring owner’s meeting in Orlando that the Lions’ choice for the third pick is down to Okung, Suh and Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy. And while Schwartz talked up Okung saying “he’s athletic; he’s really smart; he’s multidimensional. He can pass-protect and run-block. He fits the profile for a tackle in the NFL. He’s young, he’s healthy, he’s smart, he’s physical, he’s got great size. You’re not going to find many obvious chinks in that armor.” Schwartz also emphasized that in the end the Lions need playmakers and will go with the best player overall regardless of what the team has done in free agency. Schwartz also indicated that the Lions still don’t have their final grades on the three players.

March 22nd, 2010, 5:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I Love how the dont point out that if St Louis traded with Tampa to #3, and Suh went 1st, then wed be in the perfect spot to trade out of and give bradford to somebody else at 2, screweing St Louis at #3.

If Bradford is their guy, they will pick him at #1.

March 22nd, 2010, 9:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

I Love how the dont point out that if St Louis traded with Tampa to #3, and Suh went 1st, then wed be in the perfect spot to trade out of and give bradford to somebody else at 2, screweing St Louis at #3.

If Bradford is their guy, they will pick him at #1.

I absolutely agree. I can't see St. Louis targeting Bradford, and then trading out of the pick and risking the chance to lose him, particularly knowing that Mayhew has been openly attempting to find trade partners for the second pick.

Besides, if I were the Lions, I'd let TB know that if the Rams take Bradford, the second pick can be had for the same price they'd be willing to pay the Rams for the first pick, and they can have the luxury of not having to pay Suh top overall money. Then take McCoy and have another pick or two in our pockets to continue shoring up the roster with talent.

March 22nd, 2010, 9:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Good Thinking. I could be happy getting even an extra 3rd out of TB for the chance to move down in this draft. Id rather us move to 4-6 and Draft Okung, Berry or Morgan, but id take McCoy + #65 over Suh in a heartbeat.

March 22nd, 2010, 9:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

Rumor is the Rams have offered Atogwe and their 2nd round pick for McNabb. If this turns out to be true and Philly does pull the trigger, this could get interesting for Detroit.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

March 24th, 2010, 7:47 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I think that the Rams selecting a DT with No. 1 would be one of the best things for us to happen in the draft. That would leave only one DT left and everyone knows that if we pass, TB will absolutely not pass as well and they need to trade with us to get McCoy. It's definitely possible for us to get a huge deal for that No. 2 pick but again, it's just that. Only a possibility.

Hey, we can all dream.

March 24th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Heisman Winner

Rumor is the Rams have offered Atogwe and their 2nd round pick for McNabb. If this turns out to be true and Philly does pull the trigger, this could get interesting for Detroit.

Although it could be just GM speak,, when they say that an offer is "utterly ridiculous", you almost have to believe that kind of strongly worded statement. The Cardinals are mentioned and that makes a lot of sense. The Raiders are also said to be heavily interested.

I've been thinking it all along, but I haven't commented on it. McNabb to St. Louis makes zero sense to me. St. Louis is still a long way from winning consistently and adding an aging vet (albeit he's still playing very well) doesn't do what Bradford could do for them. He'll mature when the team is more ready to compete while Mcnabb will probably start to fade. It's a price that St. Louis doesn't need to pay. It's one step forward that will probably lead to two steps back.

March 24th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Team MVP

TNLionsFanatic wrote:

Although it could be just GM speak,, when they say that an offer is "utterly ridiculous", you almost have to believe that kind of strongly worded statement. The Cardinals are mentioned and that makes a lot of sense. The Raiders are also said to be heavily interested.

I've been thinking it all along, but I haven't commented on it. McNabb to St. Louis makes zero sense to me. St. Louis is still a long way from winning consistently and adding an aging vet (albeit he's still playing very well) doesn't do what Bradford could do for them. He'll mature when the team is more ready to compete while Mcnabb will probably start to fade. It's a price that St. Louis doesn't need to pay. It's one step forward that will probably lead to two steps back.

I agree. St. Louis needs to do what we did last year, though many were against it. And that is take your QB while you have the chance. Your franchise QB that is. Your face of your franchise. Most importantly, your future.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Devaney says McNabb trade rumors are "false" and "ridiculous"
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2010 7:29 PM ET
Earlier in the day, Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the Eagles "have an offer on the table" from the Rams for quarterback Donovan McNabb, and that a trade could happen quickly.

We heard from a Rams source that there is "zero truth" to the report.

As Rosenthal pointed out, someone was full of something that often gets confused with shinola.

For a change, we win.

Per Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams G.M. Billy Devaney says that report of a trade is "[a]bsolutely false" and "utterly ridiculous."

Howard Eskin of WIP echoes that report, citing an unnamed high-ranking Rams official who said that the Rams have never even spoken to the Eagles about McNabb.

So, please, citizens of Philadelphia. Return to your homes and go about your business. There is nothing to see here.

Of course, this could be a smokescreen, but you never know.

March 24th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Team MVP

PFT wrote:
Devaney says McNabb trade rumors are "false" and "ridiculous"
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2010 7:29 PM ET
Earlier in the day, Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the Eagles "have an offer on the table" from the Rams for quarterback Donovan McNabb, and that a trade could happen quickly.

We heard from a Rams source that there is "zero truth" to the report.

As Rosenthal pointed out, someone was full of something that often gets confused with shinola.

For a change, we win.

Per Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams G.M. Billy Devaney says that report of a trade is "[a]bsolutely false" and "utterly ridiculous."

Howard Eskin of WIP echoes that report, citing an unnamed high-ranking Rams official who said that the Rams have never even spoken to the Eagles about McNabb.

So, please, citizens of Philadelphia. Return to your homes and go about your business. There is nothing to see here.

Of course, this could be a smokescreen, but you never know.

True. Who knows, you could turn the TV on tomorrow and see the headline "McNabb to St. Louis".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2010, 9:49 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Bradford's shoulder appears to be checking out fine
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 27, 2010 9:46 AM ET
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Thursday than Rams G.M. Billy Devaney and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur recently visited Sam Bradford and his doctors in Florida.

It appears they have liked what they've seen from Bradford medically.

Jeff Legwold of the the Denver Post writes that "Privately, word around the league is the Rams have received optimistic reports" on Bradford's surgically repaired shoulder.

The further into the draft process we've gone, the less Bradford's shoulder has seemed like a huge concern.

He can put a lot of anxiety to rest Monday at his pro day, the biggest day on the draft calendar until April 22

It's looking more and more likely that Bradford will be their pick, but nobody can say for certain. My thoughts have been that his shoulder was the primary thing that could prevent the Rams from selecting him, but that doesn't appear to be an issue at this point.

March 27th, 2010, 11:17 am
NFL Team Captain

Well the reviews are in on Bradford's Pro Day. One scout said it was the best they had seen since Aikman.

I think it's a lock that St. Louis takes Bardford.

March 29th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next