View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lion pre-draft visits 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Lion pre-draft visits
Just thought we should start a thread to keep track of all the pre-draft visits. Everyone already knows that Suh, McCoy, and Okung have come to Allen Park, but there have been a couple more.

Detroit News wrote:
Lions bringing in "The Terminator" for a visit
There are higher priorities and bigger names. But the news that Kentucky FB John Conner will pay a pre-draft visit to Allen Park on Monday is probably worth remembering.

Conner might be the best true fullback in this year's draft, and he'll likely be a late-round pick next month. He's a big-time lead blocker -- nicknamed "The Terminator both for his name and his game -- who checked in at 5-11 and 246 pounds last month at the NFL scouting combine. He ran a 4.72-second 40-yard dash there, and he's got pretty good hands as a receiver, too.

And for a team that struggled to establish the run last season -- and struggled to convert in short-yardage situations as well -- Conner's a guy that deserves a closer look. At the moment, Jerome Felton's the only fullback on the roster.

Detroit Free Press wrote:
Tight end prospect Ed Dickson visits Lions
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Oregon tight end Ed Dickson is visiting the Detroit Lions today and is an intriguing prospect for the NFL draft.

Dickson played for the Lions’ coaches on the North squad at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. He isn’t known for his blocking but for his receiving and special teams ability.

That’s the role Casey Fitzsimmons has played for the Lions the past seven years. But the Lions have not re-signed Fitzsimmons, who ended last season on injured reserve because of a concussion.

The Lions have re-signed Will Heller, known more for his blocking. Brandon Pettigrew, a first-round pick last year, is an all-around tight end but is recovering from a torn ACL.

Dickson is speedy for his size. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds at the NFL scouting combine, third-fastest among tight ends, and is 6-feet-3 and 245 pounds. He caught 120 passes for 1,512 yards and 12 touchdowns over the past three seasons for the Ducks.

He is projected to be a second-to-fourth-round pick.

The Lions can host visits with up to 30 prospects before the draft. Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a candidate to be the No. 2 overall pick, also is in the building today. Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is scheduled to arrive today, too.

Kentucky fullback John Conner is scheduled to visit the Lions on March 29, according to nationalfootballpost.com. The 5-11, 240-pounder is considered a good lead blocker and special teams player. He is projected to be a mid-to-late-round pick.

March 21st, 2010, 2:14 pm
Team MVP

If Connor is better then Felton, im all for taking him later in the draft.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 21st, 2010, 2:23 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree on Conner. I don't think Felton is anything special. Plus, FB is a dying position anyway. It can make a whale of a difference, but only if you have a top notch one and a good line.

I'm confused about Dickson. I understand that they want talent on this team and having Pettigrew coming off of his knee injury, but I don't think that they should bring in a guy that has a 2nd to 4th round grade. Would they seriously consider pulling the trigger on another TE in the 3rd round? We lambasted him last year for drafting Pettigrew in the first round. A TE is a luxury pick, especially when you have a first rounder on your team. Plus, two TE's in two years? How often would they go two tight anyway? Dickson seems more like a receiver then anything else. I don't know, it doesn't make sense to me. Why waste the visit?

March 23rd, 2010, 11:27 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I agree on Conner. I don't think Felton is anything special. Plus, FB is a dying position anyway. It can make a whale of a difference, but only if you have a top notch one and a good line.

I'm confused about Dickson. I understand that they want talent on this team and having Pettigrew coming off of his knee injury, but I don't think that they should bring in a guy that has a 2nd to 4th round grade. Would they seriously consider pulling the trigger on another TE in the 3rd round? We lambasted him last year for drafting Pettigrew in the first round. A TE is a luxury pick, especially when you have a first rounder on your team. Plus, two TE's in two years? How often would they go two tight anyway? Dickson seems more like a receiver then anything else. I don't know, it doesn't make sense to me. Why waste the visit?

BPA, I think that if they have him rated highly on there board, and he is still there in the 4th. It's a good year for TE's. Most are rated to go between rounds 2 to 4. Hard to say how Pettigrew will bounce after surgery.

March 23rd, 2010, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not a fan of taking a TE in this draft. There's slim pickens in this draft at TE and Dickson is no stud. Sure, he's got good speed and he's got excellent hands, but he's got only decent size (only like 5-10 pounds bigger than CJ) and he's a very poor blocker. It's surprising how poor a blocker he is, because he's a moose - he's damn strong. Also, though he's got good speed, his routes stink from the games I've watched. Average at best.

He's one of the top TEs in this draft and would normally be a third-fourth rounder any other year.

March 23rd, 2010, 10:31 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not a fan of taking a TE in this draft. There's slim pickens in this draft at TE and Dickson is no stud. Sure, he's got good speed and he's got excellent hands, but he's got only decent size (only like 5-10 pounds bigger than CJ) and he's a very poor blocker. It's surprising how poor a blocker he is, because he's a moose - he's damn strong. Also, though he's got good speed, his routes stink from the games I've watched. Average at best.

He's one of the top TEs in this draft and would normally be a third-fourth rounder any other year.

Convo.....he's a third or fourth rounder THIS year. He won't be taken in the first or second round.

You have to remember that the Lions usually do pre-draft visits with various players from across the spectrum of value. Typically there is a TON of information available on the top picks in the draft. But get into third, fourth and fifth round picks and the information gets a little less distinctive and detailed. Those picks are important for this team, and performing due diligence on those players is a smart move.

I agree that TE is not the biggest need we have, by a longshot. But we have an all purpose TE (Pettigrew), a blocking TE (Heller).....perhaps they are considering the fact that if Dickson falls to round five they might pull the trigger on him to have a pure receiving TE?

March 24th, 2010, 11:34 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

A pure receiving TE ala Dallas Clark would be a nice luxury to have, but I don't think Dickson would be one of those guys. I'd rather have a very good 3rd Receiver and Pettigrew up the seam then a pure receiving TE. Having an all around TE gives you the option to run out of a three wide set instead of giving away your play by running your one dimensional TE out there.

March 24th, 2010, 12:41 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:

Convo.....he's a third or fourth rounder THIS year. He won't be taken in the first or second round.

You have to remember that the Lions usually do pre-draft visits with various players from across the spectrum of value. Typically there is a TON of information available on the top picks in the draft. But get into third, fourth and fifth round picks and the information gets a little less distinctive and detailed. Those picks are important for this team, and performing due diligence on those players is a smart move.

I agree that TE is not the biggest need we have, by a longshot. But we have an all purpose TE (Pettigrew), a blocking TE (Heller).....perhaps they are considering the fact that if Dickson falls to round five they might pull the trigger on him to have a pure receiving TE?

Average TEs always get drafted higher than their worth. Last year Richard Quinn was a 2nd rounder. Dickson is better than Quinn was coming out...and this is an awful draft for TEs.

I personally feel that only Gresham and Gronkowski are better than Dickson this year. You could make a case on Pitta's impressive combine numbers to shoot him up the charts a bit.

March 24th, 2010, 1:00 pm
RIP Killer

Average TEs always get drafted higher than their worth. Last year Richard Quinn was a 2nd rounder. Dickson is better than Quinn was coming out...and this is an awful draft for TEs.

I personally feel that only Gresham and Gronkowski are better than Dickson this year. You could make a case on Pitta's impressive combine numbers to shoot him up the charts a bit.

In truth, I don't necessarily agree with that. I would say that receiving tight ends typically get drafted higher than what they might ultimately be worth. Blocking tight ends or ones with questionable hands usually fall int he draft.

My tight end rankings are this:

1. Gresham
2. Hernandez
3. Graham
4. McCoy
5. Gronkowski
6. Dickson

Gresham seems fully healed, and as such is easily the top overall prospect. Hernandez isn't a great blocker, but isn't too bad and has very good speed and decent hands. Graham is an incredibly raw prospect, but could become the best of the bunch. He gets his ranking on potential alone, much like Jason Pierre-Paul for the DEs in this draft. McCoy is the best all around TE, but is not particularly strong in any one area. Gronkowski falls because he still hasn't worked out and hasn't proven that there are no longer any issues with his back. Dickson might have speed, but he fights the ball at times and is well below par on blocking.

Anyways, that's my two cents.....

March 24th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I was hoping Graham would not rise up boards like he has. I thought he would make a perfect #2 TE and a big target for Stafford

March 24th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

KFFL wrote:
Lions | Scheduled to meet with Bell
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:29:22 -0700

Bo Marchionte, NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Detroit Lions are scheduled to hold a private visit and workout with Wayne State Joique Bell Wednesday, April 14.

Since they are working him out, they must be going to his campus or somewhere else. I have no idea if they're bringing him in for a visit to Allen Park though.

March 24th, 2010, 10:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Good catch. This is exactly what was mentioned before, about them meeting with 3-5th round rated players that they might target and not just the Big Names.. Glad to see he is Indeed on their Radar.

March 24th, 2010, 10:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

How is Joique Bell? Ive heard the name but am unfamiliar with anything past that. Would he be a good fit for us?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2010, 11:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I know I've brought him up in a RB thread, but I'm interested in seeing RB Joique Bell of Wayne State. He won the Division II Player of the Year award and put up incredible stats. He measured in at 5-10 7/8 and 223 lbs at the Senior Bowl. Other than a couple of highlight videos, I've never seen him play, so I want to see how he stacks up against better competition.

casskid wrote:
Everything Ive read has been positive about Bell, including how he has solid hands coming out of the backfield. I have/had a friend on the team and asked about him last year and he said he thought he had the talent and the work rate to go pro, and he also seems to be a stand up guy with little to no character issues (I dont know if he still does this but after every drive my friend said he would get water for all the lineman).

The "problem" so to speak is that he had such a great Senior Bowl that I dont know if hes a sleeper anymore, but I would love to see the Lions move about to get him if it doesnt look like he'll make it to the 4th. Anyone know what his projected 40 time is?

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I saw Joique Bell play against Grand Valley this year and he was the only thing that offense had. He did it all, he ran between the tackles, had enough burst to turn the corner, caught balls out of the backfield and in the slot, and I think he did some returning. This could explain his stats, but the kids a player. He's a son of a preacher man too. I have counterparts who work at Wayne State and one of them knows him pretty well and he has spoken very highly of him.

I'm interested what his 40 time will be. It may not be blazing, but he'll run 4.55ish and that should turn some heads. I think the Lions should seriously consider the kid, but if he puts up good numbers at the Combine then I don't think they'd be in the position to draft him. I could see him going between 4 and 5. If he falls to the 5th then they should nab him. 4th would be too early, IMO, because of all the more pressing needs they have.

slybri19 wrote:
When I first brought up Joique Bell a couple of months ago, I figured that he'd be a 7th round pick or UDFA. Now, he's flying up the draft boards and could possibly go as early as the 3rd round, but I doubt it. The National Football Post even ranked him as the 5th best RB in the draft. So much for him being a "sleeper" now. :(

slybri19 wrote:
National Football Post wrote:
Small-school prospects to watch. Ten players who might create a buzz on draft day. Wes Bunting - February 16, 2010
RB Joique Bell, Wayne State (5-11, 223)

The first things that pop out at you about Bell are his natural instincts and lateral agility for a back his size. He’s a well-built kid with good thickness through his lower half, and he displays the short-area quickness and vision needed to create on his own and find creases at the line of scrimmage. In my opinion, he was the most impressive back throughout the week of practices at the Senior Bowl and looks like a guy who’s right in the mix in that second tier of running backs in the 2010 class.

casskid wrote:
I saw Bell ran around a 4.6 which isnt great but I think he's still worth a look especially if hes still there around the 5th round.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=1

March 25th, 2010, 5:11 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Geez.....don't you have anything more about him? That's pretty sketchy info...... :lol:

March 25th, 2010, 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next