View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mayhew looking to deal second overall pick 
RIP Killer

Post Mayhew looking to deal second overall pick
Great Blue North Draft Report wrote:
Second pick in play?? … Detroit G.M. Martin Mayhew was quoted during a presser at the league’s spring meetings in Orlando that the Lions have had discussions with at least one team about trading down from the #2 pick overall at next month’s draft. Mayhew didn’t indicate which team the Lions were talking with, but did say he was comfortable with how far the Lions could move down and still get the player they wanted. There has been growing speculation around the league that the Lions would prefer to take an OT with their opening round pick - presumably Russell Okung of Oklahoma State - rather than either of the more highly rated DTs Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska or Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy, assuming of course that St. Louis takes Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford with the top pick overall. In fact, Mayhew went on to add that he believes there are actually two OTs ahead of the pack of the position. And while he didn’t name names, it implies that the Lions might be willing to move more than just a couple of spots.

All I need to know is, how far down is he willing to move, and what was he offered in compensation for moving down.

March 24th, 2010, 3:05 pm
Team MVP

From what ive heard, im thinking its either the Browns or (most recently) the Raiders, therefore #7 or #8. But how far hes "willing" to move back, im curious myself.

Also, im assuming those "2 tackles" Mayhew is referring to are Okung, obviously, and Trent Williams?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

My personal bet is that they're moving down far enough to the point where they can somewhat "reach" for Haden. Some feel that 7 or 8 is too early to take him but I think that he will be the pick there if a trade is worked out.

March 24th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This has been discussed in a half dozen different threads, but I suppose it ought to be consolidated. It's obvious that Cleveland is getting ready to make a move, but nobody knows if it's to move up in the draft, trade for players, or make offers for RFAs. They've acquired a lot of extra picks, so they're about to do something IMO. My guess is that they want to move up in the draft with either the Lions or the Rams though.

March 24th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Team MVP

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Cleveland has #38 in the 2nd round, but I've heard rumors that they don't want to part with it. They also have #71, #85, and #92 in the 3rd, #105 in the 4th, #134, #137, #146, and #160 in the 5th, and #177 and #186 in the 6th. I'm thinking that they're offering #7 plus all three 3rd rounders for #2, but that's just a guess. The Lions might even be able to get a 5th rounder out of that deal too.

March 24th, 2010, 10:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Cleveland has #38 in the 2nd round, but I've heard rumors that they don't want to part with it. They also have #71, #85, and #92 in the 3rd, #105 in the 4th, #134, #137, #146, and #160 in the 5th, and #177 and #186 in the 6th. I'm thinking that they're offering #7 plus all three 3rd rounders for #2, but that's just a guess. The Lions might even be able to get a 5th rounder out of that deal too.

In This draft, I would do it in a heartbeat, even without the 5th.

Same as I would trade the raiders #2 for #8, #40 & #72.

March 24th, 2010, 10:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Mayhew looking to deal second overall pick
m2karateman wrote:
Great Blue North Draft Report wrote:
Second pick in play?? … Detroit G.M. Martin Mayhew was quoted during a presser at the league’s spring meetings in Orlando that the Lions have had discussions with at least one team about trading down from the #2 pick overall at next month’s draft. Mayhew didn’t indicate which team the Lions were talking with, but did say he was comfortable with how far the Lions could move down and still get the player they wanted. There has been growing speculation around the league that the Lions would prefer to take an OT with their opening round pick - presumably Russell Okung of Oklahoma State - rather than either of the more highly rated DTs Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska or Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy, assuming of course that St. Louis takes Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford with the top pick overall. In fact, Mayhew went on to add that he believes there are actually two OTs ahead of the pack of the position. And while he didn’t name names, it implies that the Lions might be willing to move more than just a couple of spots.

All I need to know is, how far down is he willing to move, and what was he offered in compensation for moving down.

If it happens, I'm quite sure we will find out. LOL.

March 24th, 2010, 10:50 pm
NFL Team Captain

March 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
National Champion

Yeah, if Cleveland wants to move up for their first and the three third round picks, we would be stupid not to make the deal. If they offered the fifth, too, it would be icing on the cake.

I don't think we are going to get that lucky, but maybe I feel that way from being snake bitten. I do know that Cleveland has a bunch of picks, the need for a quarterback of the future (even with their two acquisitions in Delhomme and Wallace), and sitting at seven, historically, they aren't getting either Bradford or Clausen without moving up into the top 5.

That is a good recipe for a trade with teams that are picking in the top 5 that already have their franchise QB (which would be the Lions, Bucs, and Chiefs)

March 25th, 2010, 8:55 am
RIP Killer

Yeah, if Cleveland wants to move up for their first and the three third round picks, we would be stupid not to make the deal. If they offered the fifth, too, it would be icing on the cake.

I don't think we are going to get that lucky, but maybe I feel that way from being snake bitten. I do know that Cleveland has a bunch of picks, the need for a quarterback of the future (even with their two acquisitions in Delhomme and Wallace), and sitting at seven, historically, they aren't getting either Bradford or Clausen without moving up into the top 5.

That is a good recipe for a trade with teams that are picking in the top 5 that already have their franchise QB (which would be the Lions, Bucs, and Chiefs)

Personally, I think there is a very good chance Clausen will be there for them. I don't see any team moving up to get him, other than maybe Buffalo. Seattle is no longer in the hunt, Oakland won't make the pick since Jamarcuss Russell has shown up at voluntary workouts slimmed down and seemingly with a new attitude that has the crazy old coot all giddy. The only other team that would be in range who may have been interested in a QB is Denver, and they picked up Brady Quinn.

I truthfully don't see Washington taking Clausen at #4. If Bradford was there, I think they pull the trigger, but not for Clausen.

Truth be known, if the Lions have had any discussions with teams about trading out of the #2 pick, it would only be if St. Louis passes on Bradford and takes Suh. If Bradford is there at #2, I would imagine some team will want to talk to the Lions, thinking that if they choose to not talk to the Lions, someone else will.

I almost hope that the Rams do pass on Bradford. I think it will give Detroit immense bargaining power. Tampa Bay might want to trade up to ensure getting McCoy. Washington might want to trade up to get Bradford. Cleveland and Buffalo will definitely want to move up for Bradford. I'd be very content with the Lions moving down with Cleveland, get something like two third rounders and a fifth rounder, then use their pick at #7 to either trade down again or select a player like Derrick Morgan or Joe Haden. If they are serious about getting an offensive tackle, then Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams will be sitting there.

Imagine the possibilities....Cleveland gives #71, #85 and #134 to swap first rounders. The Lions would have:

#7 - DE Derrick Morgan (I don't think Haden is worth #7)
#34 - CB Patrick Robinson (Great man cover skills)
#66 - OG John Jerry (Much needed road graded for LG)
#71 - DT Cam Thomas (Big bodied DT)
#85 - OT Jason Fox (If recovered from injury, a steal here)
#100 - RB Ben Tate (Good speed, good size, under rated)
#133 - CB Javier Arenas (Return skills and good nickel back)
#134 - FS Kam Chancellor (BIG safety with decent speed)
#214 - LB Arthur Moats (Can play inside or outside)
#255 - DE Hall Davis (Pretty solid small school DE with prototypical size)

March 25th, 2010, 10:25 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

How many picks in this years draft does Cleveland have?Would they be willing to give up 3 picks to move up 5 spots?

March 25th, 2010, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

How many picks in this years draft does Cleveland have?Would they be willing to give up 3 picks to move up 5 spots?

They have 12 picks....
Round 1 - 1
Round 2 - 1
Round 3 - 3
Round 4 - 1
Round 5 - 4
Round 6 - 2

They have none is round 7 (traded to us in the Corey Williams deal) and they got shut out on comp picks.

March 25th, 2010, 1:01 pm
Walk On

Value chart.

Don't know the exact values for positions but it tends to go something like.

20,000 Value for #1 17,500 Value for #2 and so on. The Value for #7 might be 7,500 with the value for thirds might average out 750 a piece. We would still be taking a 7k hit in value but it would be worth it to move back and add talent in literally the deepest draft (not just lots of depth but legitimate day one starters might be easily found in the 4th).

Doh Found the chart.

Its 3000 #1, 2600 #2, 1500 #7, 235+ 165+ 132 for #72 #85 and number #92 respectively.

So the Browns want a first round swap #7 for #2. That is 1100 points that need to be made up. All the thirds together make 532, that is still 560 some odd points short of value.

To add confusion to it if trading next years pick its usually considered lower in value then the last pick in that round. So a 2011 1st round pick is valued at like 500, 100 for a 2011 second rounder.

So it would be hard without giving up their whole draft, a first next year, or a second this year to move up 5 spots.

March 25th, 2010, 1:18 pm
RIP Killer

I think the whole point thing is crap. I'd take three thirds to move back to #7. As long as Detroit feels a guy will be there at #7 that can be a star then there is no reason not to. 3rd rounders are more valuable than what those stupid charts say.

March 25th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next