View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Saints could make things interesting..... 
RIP Killer

Post Saints could make things interesting.....
ProFootballTalk wrote:
Saints could make things interesting at the top of round two
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2010 12:10 PM ET
We've mentioned a couple of times in the past day the enhanced value of the first pick in the second round of the first-ever three-day draft. The selection, currently held by the Rams, has added value given that the Rams will be able to shop the pick throughout the day on Friday, before the second round commences on Friday night.

And a couple of you already have mentioned an intriguing possibility. What if the Saints opt not to exercise their pick at the end of round one?

The Saints then would have dibs on the start of the second day, if they can get their card to the podium before the Rams (or whoever acquires the pick from the Rams) does the same.

So would the Saints pull something like this? Given that the Super Bowl win apparently has left coach Sean Payton feeling full of piss, vinegar, and Caymus Special Selection, we wouldn't be surprised if he tries to steal the Rams' thunder on this one.

Besides, with the league taking full advantage of the letter of the rules in expediting the vote on modified overtime, why shouldn't Payton -- who was vinegared off regarding the overtime maneuver -- not take advantage of draft rules that allow a team to not make a pick during the designated time period?

Though the league might frown on the approach, it actually would create even more drama and intrigue, guaranteeing a higher audience for the early stages of the second night of the draft.

You know what would be funny? If Payton were to pull this stunt, and then the Rams go ahead and sign the guy NO wanted to a contract overnight. I think they would be well within their rights to do so, because once the time expires for NOs pick, the Rams are officially "on the clock", just like they are right now.

Talk about drama.....

March 25th, 2010, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

That is interesting! I like the idea for the Saints though.. I don't think that the Rams can sign overnight though. I bet there is something in place to stop that...

March 25th, 2010, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

What were the teams able to do when going from the end of 3 to 4 the next day?

March 25th, 2010, 12:50 pm
RIP Killer

What were the teams able to do when going from the end of 3 to 4 the next day?

Picks were made at the end of round three, nobody ever let their time expire at the end of the day.

I can't say that I know the rules for sure. But I can't imagine that the Saints wouldn't be at risk if they decided to pull this type of a stunt. Their time on the clock is their time on the clock. What is it for the first round? 10 minutes? If that time expires, I believe the Rams are free to negotiate, as long as they get their card to the podium first thing the next day.

If nothing else, I would imagine that the Rams would negotiate the deal and wait until after the pick is made to have the prospect sign, just to make sure......but still, this is an idea that could really backfire on the Saints. Particularly if they have a player they want, and decide to use this chance to "grandstand".....you just won the Freakin' Super Bowl, how much more grandstanding do you need?

If Payton and the Saints pulled this, I'd lose a ton of respect for them.

March 25th, 2010, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

I would have more respect for them for doing what they think is best for them.

I see that it could backfire... unlike when teams pass in the first round... most teams aren't ready with a pick to make the steal. But in this case, st louis could trade and the other team could get to the podium technically before the saints and it could backfire. even if the signing problem isn't there.

March 25th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Source: Thursday night won't end until the Saints pick
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2010 12:34 PM ET
Well, it was a neat idea while it lasted.

And it lasted 15 minutes.

In response to our post regarding the possibility that the Saints could choose not to exercise the last pick in round one on the first night of the draft and carry it over to the first pick on the second night, a league source tells us that a procedure was adopted at the league meetings in order to address this possibility.

Per the source, Thursday night's session won't end until the Saints make a pick. If they allow the allotted time to expire, the Rams will be on the clock, and they will have an opportunity to make their pick at the top of round two. If the clock expires on the Rams, the next team will be up, and so on.

Regardless, the process will continue until the Saints make their pick.

So look for the Saints to make their pick as scheduled, and for the Rams to be able to dangle the first pick in round two throughout the day on Friday.

Well, that settles that idea.

March 25th, 2010, 1:30 pm

M2K, the team with the first pick in the draft is the only one allowed to negotiate with players prior to their selection. For instance, if the Rams sign Bradford a day before the draft, the Lions can not begin negotiations with Suh or anybody else until after they've been selected. This also applies to the later rounds.

March 25th, 2010, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer

M2K, the team with the first pick in the draft is the only one allowed to negotiate with players prior to their selection. For instance, if the Rams sign Bradford a day before the draft, the Lions can not begin negotiations with Suh or anybody else until after they've been selected. This also applies to the later rounds.

That's not how I heard it. Last year when the Lions signed Stafford, I can recall something being said about the Rams being able to then begin negotiating with the player of their choosing, and having the freedom to sign that player, as long as that is the pick they make at the draft.

Not saying that IS the rule, just saying what I remember hearing from last year.......

March 25th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Heisman Winner

slybri19 wrote:

That's not how I heard it. Last year when the Lions signed Stafford, I can recall something being said about the Rams being able to then begin negotiating with the player of their choosing, and having the freedom to sign that player, as long as that is the pick they make at the draft.

Not saying that IS the rule, just saying what I remember hearing from last year.......

M2k I think you are right. If Bradford signs, I believe the Lions can negotiate with players once they are offically on the clock.

If the Saints time expires, the next team can pick. They don't have to negotiate or anything else. Just like the time Minnesota missed their rd 1 pick a few years back.

March 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm

OK, I looked it up and the NFL changed the rule last year. They allowed the Rams to begin negotiating with players after the Lions signed Stafford. The previous year, they were not allowed to do so after Miami signed Jake Long though.

March 25th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:

I thought they could negotiate but, could not sign them until they were drafted.

March 26th, 2010, 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]