View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 8:41 pm



Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 What's STL going to do? 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I've always though Bradford has the ability to be the next great QB. The guys just gets it done in almost all situations... when not out hurt... I think with him it will come down to injury. He certainly needs to get a little more bulk on him to be durable. Good height... just needs some muscle.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 29th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 10:37 pm
Posts: 505
Location: Corona, CA
Post 
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Well the reviews are in on Bradford's Pro Day. One scout said it was the best they had seen since Aikman.

I think it's a lock that St. Louis takes Bardford.


I think they like Bradford but check out what Profootballtalk had to say...

Quote:
Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract
Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 7:55 PM ET
Amid reports that the Rams are talking to the agents for multiple players who could be the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, there's increasing chatter that, as to one of the players, there may not be much to discuss.

We're hearing from multiple league and media sources that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford could refuse to sign a pre-draft contract with the Rams.

In the past four drafts, the only top pick not signed in advance of the commencement of the selection process was Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell. He ultimately held out into the regular season.

If Bradford declines to agree to terms before being picked, and if the Rams ultimately don't select him, Bradford would slide to the Redskins at No. 4, at worst. (He also could end up going second or third, if a team that needs a quarterback moves up.) Operating from the four hole, Bradford likely would then attempt to invoke the so-called "quarterback premium" in the hopes of getting more than the first overall pick, just as Matt Ryan did from the third spot two years ago.

If the Rams pick Bradford without a contract in place, the leverage then flips to the player, with the Rams compelled to get the guy signed in the hopes of justifying the pick and turning around a franchise that seems far longer than a decade removed from a Super Bowl win.

We also don't rule out the Rams picking Bradford and then attempting to trade him, like the Chargers did six years ago with Eli Manning.

Either way, Adam Schefter's prediction could end up being wrong -- but not because Bradford won't be regarded as the best player in the draft. The Rams could decide that they won't take Bradford if he makes it clear that he won't sign a contract.


If Bradford isn't even willing to listen/negotiate with the Rams before the draft that will not be good for him being the first overall pick. If Bradford negotiates, even if he doesn't sign a contract, I think he would still be pick #1. The Rams may not want a hold out and may pass on Bradford if he will not negotiate.


March 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: March 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Posts: 805
Location: Burbs of De-town
Post 
Sam Bradford's impressive workout has implications for Lions
Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News
Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford passed his first test to possibly becoming the No. 1 overall pick in April's NFL draft.

Bradford completed 49-of-50 passes at his Monday pro day in Norman, Okla., and was 13-of-13 throwing from a stationary stance, according to reports.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt called the workout "the best he's seen since Troy Aikman" and wrote that it left him "speechless."

Bradford measured 6-foot-5 and 236 pounds, according to Brandt, and showed no negative effects from the shoulder surgery he underwent at the end of this past season.

The quarterback-starved St. Louis Rams own the No. 1 pick and there has been considerable speculation they will use it on Bradford if they determine he is healthy. Bradford is scheduled to have a personal workout with the Rams right before the April 22-24 draft.

Detroit has the second pick, and if the Rams take Bradford, the Lions are expected to draft a defensive tackle -- Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy -- if they don't trade down.

"I thought I made a lot of great throws," Bradford told ESPN after the workout. "I felt like I performed very well."

Representatives from just about every NFL team were at Bradford's pro day, according to the Oklahoma City Oklahoman, including Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, Browns general manager Mike Holmgren and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100330/SPO ... z0jetkSzW4


March 30th, 2010, 7:33 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post 
Did anybody else see the workout throws on the NFL Network? I've heard all about this "great" workout but I saw no zip on the ball and only one deep route. Most throws looked in the 5-10 yard range and had no velocity on them, my 3-year old could have caught those passes.

Seems like a lot of hype around this workout, and I just didn't see it at all...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 30th, 2010, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I watched parts on the live cam. What I saw looked good... but I assumed he threw long too. The short stuff I saw showed touch and accuracy.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 30th, 2010, 10:59 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
Pablo wrote:
Did anybody else see the workout throws on the NFL Network? I've heard all about this "great" workout but I saw no zip on the ball and only one deep route. Most throws looked in the 5-10 yard range and had no velocity on them, my 3-year old could have caught those passes.

Seems like a lot of hype around this workout, and I just didn't see it at all...


I've heard the "best workout since Aikman" talk before, so this phony buzz doesn't surprise me. The reporters said the EXACT same thing about Alex Smith's workout at Utah. Everyone went nuts about how the ball never touched the ground. Big deal. I liked Stafford better than Bradford a year ago and I still like him better now.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


March 30th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Did anybody else see the workout throws on the NFL Network? I've heard all about this "great" workout but I saw no zip on the ball and only one deep route. Most throws looked in the 5-10 yard range and had no velocity on them, my 3-year old could have caught those passes.

Seems like a lot of hype around this workout, and I just didn't see it at all...


I've heard the "best workout since Aikman" talk before, so this phony buzz doesn't surprise me. The reporters said the EXACT same thing about Alex Smith's workout at Utah. Everyone went nuts about how the ball never touched the ground. Big deal. I liked Stafford better than Bradford a year ago and I still like him better now.


OK, I'm quoting myself, which might be unprecedented. In any case...

I did some reading and it turns out that it was none other than Gil Brandt who stated that Alex Smith's workout was the "best since Aikman." And Brandt is using the same language to describe Bradford's workout. I have a lot of respect for Gil Brandt but the Bradford workout shouldn't have anybody too excited. These QB workouts are scripted to make the QB look flawless--anything less than perfection would be a failure.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


March 30th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: May 20th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Posts: 444
Post 
mwill2 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Did anybody else see the workout throws on the NFL Network? I've heard all about this "great" workout but I saw no zip on the ball and only one deep route. Most throws looked in the 5-10 yard range and had no velocity on them, my 3-year old could have caught those passes.

Seems like a lot of hype around this workout, and I just didn't see it at all...


I've heard the "best workout since Aikman" talk before, so this phony buzz doesn't surprise me. The reporters said the EXACT same thing about Alex Smith's workout at Utah. Everyone went nuts about how the ball never touched the ground. Big deal. I liked Stafford better than Bradford a year ago and I still like him better now.


OK, I'm quoting myself, which might be unprecedented. In any case...

I did some reading and it turns out that it was none other than Gil Brandt who stated that Alex Smith's workout was the "best since Aikman." And Brandt is using the same language to describe Bradford's workout. I have a lot of respect for Gil Brandt but the Bradford workout shouldn't have anybody too excited. These QB workouts are scripted to make the QB look flawless--anything less than perfection would be a failure.


Bradford is considered one of the most accurate passers in college. But last year Stafford had a very similar day with 47 perfect passes instead of 49. Is two incomplete that big a difference between a passer with Accuracy issues (not my opinion) and one with spot on Accuracy? These pro-days are worthless unless the player really falls apart.

The real lesson would be the team workout. But Bradford doesn't have one scheduled until the week before the draft with the Rams. Which makes me think the Rams have decided and that the Workout is more about getting him and his Agent in town to get a deal done.


March 30th, 2010, 3:19 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Concerning Bradford not signing a contract prior to the draft, I don't know about that. His agent is Tom Condon, who also represents Stafford and Jake Long. He had both of them signed prior to being selected first overall the past two seasons, so why wouldn't he do it again? Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

_________________
Image


March 30th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
Concerning Bradford not signing a contract prior to the draft, I don't know about that. His agent is Tom Condon, who also represents Stafford and Jake Long. He had both of them signed prior to being selected first overall the past two seasons, so why wouldn't he do it again? Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.


I have to agree there. I can't see any agent coming out with a statement like that, particularly when there are at least three other players the Rams could seriously consider with the top pick. I can't see St. Louis coming to Bradford with a 6 year, $78M contract before the draft and him turning it down. If he does, he deserves to be taken around 11th, where his contract will be worth about half that much.

Yeah, that would teach the Rams a lesson.


March 30th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post 
Alright... here we are again. Reports are out that McCoy had an impressive workout and Mike Mcarthy from the Packers said he thought it was better than Bradfords. Uh Oh???

Could the Rams go Suh and wait on McCoy in the 2nd?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Colt ... Day-033110

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


April 1st, 2010, 7:37 am
Profile
Walk On

Joined: May 20th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Posts: 444
Post 
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Alright... here we are again. Reports are out that McCoy had an impressive workout and Mike Mcarthy from the Packers said he thought it was better than Bradfords. Uh Oh???

Could the Rams go Suh and wait on McCoy in the 2nd?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Colt ... Day-033110


Eh I don't think they have the luxury of waiting around. If anyone waits till the second for a QB its the Skins. Not only that but certain coaches want to see certain things in their QBs. Considering the line issues that GB has they probably put a high value in footwork on the move and such, teams that have a lot of roll outs would probably think the same way.


April 1st, 2010, 9:16 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3363
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
Ya i dont believe the Rams will wait to get McCoy. Like mentioned before, why would they risk not taking their quarterback. And besides, who knows, maybe McCoy gets taken in the late first round. The Rams would have really screwed themselves then.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 1st, 2010, 10:50 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Topweasel wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Alright... here we are again. Reports are out that McCoy had an impressive workout and Mike Mcarthy from the Packers said he thought it was better than Bradfords. Uh Oh???

Could the Rams go Suh and wait on McCoy in the 2nd?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Colt ... Day-033110


Eh I don't think they have the luxury of waiting around. If anyone waits till the second for a QB its the Skins. Not only that but certain coaches want to see certain things in their QBs. Considering the line issues that GB has they probably put a high value in footwork on the move and such, teams that have a lot of roll outs would probably think the same way.


The problem with the "wait and see" approach is that usually you "wait" to get better value and then "see" that player go to another team. I don't believe for one second that McCoy having a supposedly more impressive workout than Bradford will change things.

Bradford still has much better size and accuracy, while playing the actual game of football itself, not just during a workout.

Despite Drew Brees being successful as a 6 foot (give or take an inch) QB in the NFL, most quarterbacks that short, like McCoy, seem to struggle more.

If McCoys workout was so impressive, other teams will be staring him down in the late first round, and St. Louis doesn't really need to be swapping out picks to move up and get him. Cleveland is the most likely candidate to pull off a trade up from their second round spot to get into the late first and grab Colt.


April 1st, 2010, 12:20 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
PFT wrote:
Rams haven't talked about trading down
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2010 12:43 PM ET
St. Louis Rams General Manager Billy Devaney says he hasn't heard from any other teams that are interested in acquiring the first overall pick in the draft, and he says he doesn't know if any other team likes Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford enough to put together a package of picks to get him.

"Because they may be [thinking] ... 'OK, we may like Sam Bradford a lot, but we like Jimmy Clausen just about almost as much," Devaney told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Why should we give up picks and go up and get St. Louis' pick?'"

"Why should we give up picks?" is a good question. Another good question is, "Why should we want to pay the $40 million guaranteed or so that the first overall pick will demand this year?"

Until the NFL does something to rein in the contracts given to the players chosen at the top of the first round, it's going to be tough for the team that owns the first overall pick to trade down. On the other hand, a lot can change in three weeks, and it's still possible that some team will fall in love with Bradford and decide he's worth the price.

For now, though, everyone seems to think the Rams are going to take Bradford first overall. Devaney acknowledges that's the conventional wisdom.

"Obviously, he's going to get strong consideration," Devaney said. "That's not earth-shattering."

Is he lying or telling the truth? It's hard to tell at this time of the year.

_________________
Image


April 2nd, 2010, 1:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.