View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Boo Wheatley 
QB Coach

Post Boo Wheatley
Y'all gotta check this out. 3.9 40 time 6' 7" WR, unknown till today

LOS ANGELES
A previously unknown athlete today ran what may have been the first sub-four second 40-yard-dash at a “pro day” workout for professional football prospects.

Joseph “Boo” Wheatly, 24, sprinted at the end of an annual southern California Pro Day, stunning the assembled crowd of athletes, agents, pro scouts and fans. Wheatly’s run caused an audible reaction. The sound was followed about a second later by an aftershock of wild celebration among his fellow athletes, and the murmur of phone calls and texts as pro football scouts rushed to report what they had seen.

Sources among the timing crew and several scouts who had hand-timed the sprint confirmed Wheatly clocked in at 3.9 seconds.

“That’s just ridiculous,” one scout said. “No way I’d believe my watch if it says that. But when everybody’s watch says it, when we saw what we just saw, what else is there to say?”

With the performance, Wheatly is already a wild card heading into next month’s pro football draft. The 40 is often considered a football prospect’s best measuring stick.

Wheatly was a member of the football team at Mesa Junior College last year but battled eligibility issues for most of the season. He was eligible for only one game, where he had seven receptions for 142 yards.

“We first saw Boo running for our track team. You could see there was potential there; we liked his size and thought we could develop his football skills,” head football coach Rich Martinez said by phone.

Wheatly, who stands about 6-foot-7, said he grew four inches over the course of several months following a nondescript high school athletic career. He joined Mesa and then decided to dedicate himself to making a Football Bowl Subdivision program. It was during this training that he felt it coming together, he said.

“I finally got the right shoes! My old ones were a joke,” he said.

Wheatly said he originally started with a traditional sprint training program suggested by his track coach. He’s tweaked it with an additional emphasis that takes full advantage of his long stride. And he’s added drills on the sand and in the shallow water of southern California’s beaches to help with his burst and explosiveness. He’s in the weight room three times a week.

Wheatly didn’t receive much interest from Division I schools, but while working out in southern California he caught passes from other top prospects. These connections got him on the invite to participate in Pro Day — ostensibly to help warm up the quarterbacks.

Speculation is strong that Wheatly could be a top-10 pick, with league sources saying one team has already arranged to fly him in for a personal interview.

While the scramble has just started to see which team might pick Wheatly, it appears Nike is the shoe company which has won the Boo draft. Wheatly trained and ran his historic 40 in, as you may have imagined, swoosh-adorned Nike Air Max running shoes.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 1st, 2010, 3:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 1st, 2010, 3:23 pm
QB Coach

I just read the article via FOX Sports off of MSN.com

Unless they threw in a biline that says April Fools, this is real!!!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 1st, 2010, 3:25 pm
QB Coach

BTW, if this is real, what kind of a pick could we offer. I'm thinking that 6'7" and rocket speed, would do much to stretch the field with Calvin on the other side. That would really TORCH some defenses. He's got to be able to jump like 9 or 10 feet. What DB is going to be able to handle that?

April 1st, 2010, 3:27 pm
QB Coach

I was afraid of this, not I look like da fool.

April Fools ALERT! Joseph ‘Boo’ Wheatly
April 1st, 2010 | by Ethan Jaynes |
April Fools ALERT! Joseph ‘Boo’ Wheatly. FoxSports is releasing a couple videos talking about a guy that ran a 3.9- 40 yard dash at a pro day. They say he is a junior college transfer that is unknown. ?

1. If you Google him you do not find him.
2. In one of the videos you see a white guy walking in the background. ( we all know it was not him. Come on … I am white. I know it was not a skinny white guy that ran the first 3.9 – 40 )
3. There is no actual video of him running the 3.9.
4. Why would a sports network do an April Fools joke?
5. Just for quick reference. The fastest ever was Bo Jackson’s 4.12.
6. ( Update ) There are no photos of “Boo” and no video, but we know he will be wearing Nike shoes? The jig is up. This is a Fox Sports / Nike joint viral campaign.
7. The name of the first video is “Petros witnesses Boo

April 1st, 2010, 3:29 pm
Pro Bowl Player

April 1st, 2010, 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
I'm shocked that Fox tricked you, Devil.

Ha... That's pretty funny...

April 1st, 2010, 3:47 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Kudos. This is the first April Fool's Day joke that I didn't realize was a joke before I clicked on it. The first sentence gave it away though.

April 1st, 2010, 6:32 pm
QB Coach

Why not, Washington tricked me into thinking they would actually listen to the people and we all know how that went.

April 1st, 2010, 8:36 pm
RIP Killer

You chumps. 3.9 40? Seriously. That would have to be a world record.

The fastest I've ever seen was an unofficial 4.09, by Darrell Green...and that dood could put Chris Johnson to shame.

April 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]