View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Could Trent Williams be the pick? 
Heisman Winner

Post Could Trent Williams be the pick?
Now, take this with a grain of salt because I think Prisco is a moron personally, but he claims there are whispers that the Lion's might have a man crush on OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/full ... ist_footer

I'd probably brush this aside but Mayhew was quoted as saying this:

“I’ve seen a lot of stuff written that I think is a little bit premature about what our thoughts are and who we are going to take and who we are down to and that kind of stuff. You never know what we might do. That’s one of the fun things about it.”

Martin Mayhew, Lions GM, about speculation on whom the Lions will draft with the No. 2 pick
From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100402 ... z0jxH8dIVF

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... could it be??

Here's the bio on Trent:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... lliams.php

April 2nd, 2010, 10:59 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

If the Lions take Trent Williams at #2, I'll be pissed. Unfortunately, if they truly are interested in him, they wouldn't be able to trade back very far to get him. Washington at 4, Kansas City at 5, Seattle at 6, Oakland at 8, and Buffalo at 9 could all use an OT and could possibly select him.

April 2nd, 2010, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

I think this is just pre-draft speculation/drama to get readers.

April 2nd, 2010, 1:06 pm
Heisman Winner

If the Lions take Trent Williams at #2, I'll be pissed. Unfortunately, if they truly are interested in him, they wouldn't be able to trade back very far to get him. Washington at 4, Kansas City at 5, Seattle at 6, Oakland at 8, and Buffalo at 9 could all use an OT and could possibly select him.

I wasn't even in favor of Okung @2 and now this rumor gets floated. All those in favor of Okung can't argue with this though. I mean, if the Lions feel he's the better talent and worthy of such a high pick, then essentially the Okung fans are getting what they covet. A position of importance that justifies the money being paid out.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm just not buying that the tackles in this draft are worthy of that spot though.

April 2nd, 2010, 1:22 pm
RIP Killer

And the Lions continue to confuse the national draft media......

GOOD!! They now seem to have people thinking they will take anybody rated within the top ten that isn't a QB.

April 2nd, 2010, 1:57 pm
Team MVP

If Trent is the pick it will be after a trade back to #7. Washington should take Okung at 4, KC I think will take either Bulaga or Berry (yes I know what Pioli said about a safety that high but I think he'll be the BPA at 5) leaving Seattle either Bulaga or Berry. One of them may like Williams more but I think he'll make it to 7.

April 2nd, 2010, 4:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

A very strong case can be made for taking a left tackle either Williams or Okung over DT Suh or McCoy.

It doesn't have anything to do with who the best player is when it comes time to draft if it did Suh/McCoy would be going #1 not Bradford. But it has to do with combination of value, need and talent.

When you take those 3 factors and add them together:

Value: LT is one highest paid positions in the NFL and one of the hardest to fill through free agency. Also something like 28 of the starting LT were drafted within the first 40 picks.

Need: The Lions have 2 pretty solid DT in Hill and Williams and are still looking at Hargrove as DE/DT. The Lions have a giant hole at LG and LT who might be better suited to fill that position.

Talent: This the one thing that both McCoy and Suh have over either LT but are they so talented that can't pass on them when need and value fall to a left tackle?

That's the $65 million question Mayhew as to answer not any of us.

April 2nd, 2010, 5:52 pm
RIP Killer

I just think it is silly to get a Okung or Williams and hope they are as good as Gaither who can be had for a 2nd rounder.

April 2nd, 2010, 5:56 pm
RIP Killer

I just think it is silly to get a Okung or Williams and hope they are as good as Gaither who can be had for a 2nd rounder.

Excellent point, but I think when it comes down to it, whether you believe it or not, we have much bigger needs on this team than LT. I'm not a big Jeff Backus fan, but I am quite positive he is not the weak link on that offensive line.

April 2nd, 2010, 9:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Well maybe I think it's just silly to way over spend on DT when you can sign Hargrove for a 3rd round pick and have him play inside and outside.

Hell why don't Lions just trade away all their picks for veterans.

April 2nd, 2010, 10:06 pm
I think you're both right... The bottom line is there isn't anyone at the top of the draft that is worth the money that they're going to get. I would trade down at all costs. I would rather have Berry, Okung, Williams, Suh, McCoy at 5-6, and pay them a little more than 1/2 of what the top pick in the draft is going to get.

April 2nd, 2010, 10:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think you're both right... The bottom line is there isn't anyone at the top of the draft that is worth the money that they're going to get. I would trade down at all costs. I would rather have Berry, Okung, Williams, Suh, McCoy at 5-6, and pay them a little more than 1/2 of what the top pick in the draft is going to get.

that's the problem right there until the collective bargaining agreement is fixed having the #2 pick is more of burden than benefit to the team drafting. If you take a DT you're way over paying for the position and if you take another position like DE or LT your settling for a lesser talent. Pick your poison.

The only win-win situation for the Lions is to trade down. I just don't see how that is going to happen unless they give the pick away.

April 3rd, 2010, 3:13 am
Quote:

that's the problem right there until the collective bargaining agreement is fixed having the #2 pick is more of burden than benefit to the team drafting. If you take a DT you're way over paying for the position and if you take another position like DE or LT your settling for a lesser talent. Pick your poison.

The only win-win situation for the Lions is to trade down. I just don't see how that is going to happen unless they give the pick away.

I'm all for it... Like I said, IMO it is a POSITIVE to be picking around 5-10. There is interest in the #2 overall for Qb and to get one of the coveted DT's... I say let someone have them. If we can get a top 10 pick + a 3rd this year or 2nd next year, that's fine with me...

April 3rd, 2010, 9:04 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Picking from 5 to 10 would be perfect for the Lions of course they would be doing this if they won couple more games.

In that range the Lions could maybe get Eric Berry, Derrick Morgan, Joe Haden, C.J. Spiller, Earl Thomas. All guys I lke better to address the Lions needs for way less money. Picking up an extra draft pick or two only be a bonus.

April 3rd, 2010, 11:11 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think Trent would make a ton of sense if we traded down. He could play any of the line positions. He would likely eventually take over for Backus but could start out at LG or even RT(Goz needs to step it up)

April 3rd, 2010, 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next