View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Could Trent Williams be the pick? 
I think Trent would make a ton of sense if we traded down. He could play any of the line positions. He would likely eventually take over for Backus but could start out at LG or even RT(Goz needs to step it up)

He's been my favorite tackle for months. I don't care that he's more of a RT as Goz is more of a RG anyhow (I Hated the Goz pick and he's done nothing to win me over since drafting him). I think that Williams could eventually beat out Backus, but IMO Williams puts us in an excellent position as we can start him at RT for now, groom him, and not have a rookie LT when we finally cut Backus, or conversely it puts us in a situation where we can take an OT and still retain Backus' trade value.

If we draft Okung everyone will know that it is to play LT and Backus' stock will plummet. If we draft Williams it would likely be to play RT for a year, even if he can later step in and play LT after learning the speed of the game. At that Backus has trade value as he won't likely be cut or sold off in a fire sale. I love being able to land Williams, I just don't like him at #2 overall...

April 4th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Everything I've seen from Trent Williams reminds me of Goz... I've seen him get beat time and time again... Brian Orakpo owned him last year... I don't get why he's in the discussion for a top 10 pick in this supposed "talent drenched" draft...

April 4th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Everything I've seen from Trent Williams reminds me of Goz... I've seen him get beat time and time again... Brian Orakpo owned him last year... I don't get why he's in the discussion for a top 10 pick in this supposed "talent drenched" draft...

Maybe I am incorrect but I thought Orakpo lined up almost exclusively against Loadholt?

April 5th, 2010, 12:12 am

I wish I could hear him speak. One of the biggest reasons I can't stand Goz is because he sounds like an unintelligent dolt. That said, he seems much more cerebral to his approach to the game, and much more capable of learning how to play in the NFL.

April 5th, 2010, 12:40 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Murtyle wrote:

Maybe I am incorrect but I thought Orakpo lined up almost exclusively against Loadholt?

I thought he beat them both up pretty bad last year, but iwhen you said tbat I checked his highlight vid and I think you're right. Still, if you watched him this year he didn't look like a top ten pick. He looked more like Goz and George Foster.

There's a brief YouTube video of him this year. Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about

April 5th, 2010, 8:04 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I really liked Trent Williams in 2008 when he was playing RT, but his play dropped off some last season when he switched to the left side. But, to his credit, he seemed to get better at it as the year went along. The Williams I saw in September struggling against speed rushers wasn't the same guy I saw in late November. I think he'll be a solid player regardless of where he plays, but I believe his best chance of being dominant is on the right side. I could be wrong though.

April 6th, 2010, 12:32 am
Heisman Winner

Chrissie Wywrot

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... 59b0c51f0e
a a Oklahoma offensive tackle Trent Williams visited the Detroit Lions facility today, surprised by the warm weather that greeted him when he arrived.

“I thought I was going to come and see two feet of snow and miserable cold and this and that,” he said. “It wasn’t that – it was a beautiful day.”

Williams enters the draft as one of the top offensive tackles with an attribute all teams are looking for: versatility.

He started at right tackle his first three seasons at Oklahoma before making the switch to left tackle when teammate Phil Loadholt departed for the NFL. Williams says the transition wasn’t tough for him considering he had played both positions despite starting on the right side.

“I played left every day at practice,” he said. “So it really wasn’t hard at all.”

Teams are talking to Williams about playing both positions and Williams himself is open to whatever the team that drafts him needs.

It is likely his top challenge won’t be which position he plays; it will instead be the caliber of raw talent and technique he is lining up against.

“Coming from Oklahoma, there’s a lot of people in the league,” he said. “They come back and prep us for what we’re going to go through. I’ve got a pretty good idea, but you never know until you go through it.”

Former Sooners who have spoken to Williams and his teammates talk about a higher level of competition and the speed of the game.

“Your body is your business and you’ve got to take everything a lot more seriously than you do in college,” said Williams.

Detroit was Williams’ second stop on his tour of NFL teams and he has plenty of others lined up for the next couple weeks.

And as are many of his fellow draft prospects, Williams is anxious to find out which team he will end up with.

“I’m looking forward to getting it over with,” he said with a laugh. “Cutting all the nerves and seeing who I’m going to play for; who is going to pick me.”

April 7th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2