View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Article states in so many words Schwartz wants Suh or McCoy. 
Walk On

Post Article states in so many words Schwartz wants Suh or McCoy.
Schwartz invokes "Planet Theory"
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 11, 2010 7:03 PM ET

Longtime Giants executive George Young had a famous "Planet Theory" to drafting that Jim Schwartz invoked recently.

"Big, giant men that run fast? That are strong enough to play the run and athletic enough to play the pass?" Schwartz told the Detroit Free Press. "There's not many people like that walking the planet."

While the theory is tongue-in-cheek, there's plenty of truth to it.

The athleticism Ndamakong Suh displays is special. (To a lesser degree, the same can be said about Gerald McCoy.) There are no offensive tackles in this class that stand out as elite.

We've never bought that the Lions were seriously considering an offensive tackle at No. 2 if only because it defies logic. [Editor's note: Speak for yourself, Rosenthal. It's hard to get the most out of last year's first overall pick if he's constantly running for his young life.] Jim Schwartz has made his name on defensive linemen. Detroit's new identity should be there. To pass up a chance to work with Suh or McCoy makes no sense.

At least that's what the "Planet Theory" says.

April 12th, 2010, 12:20 am
NFL Team Captain

April 12th, 2010, 8:31 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Article states in so many words Schwartz wants Suh or Mc
More hints maybe?

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/suh ... nt-to-yes/

Lions Pick Suh at No. 2? Coordinators Are On Board

By Matt Kuzawa
Football News Now Staff Writer
April 20, 2010
Though the Detroit Lions maintain that they have not decided on who they will take with the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday’s draft, they appear to be having trouble containing their excitement

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (AP)
Based on several reports from a season-ticket holder event at Ford Field. the Lions may have dropped the ball on their desire to land Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

First, as Nicholas Cotsonika of the Detroit Free Press notes, Lions president Tom Lewand acknowledged fans who chanted Suh’s name and held a sign reading: “SUH-PER BOWL”.

“I hear some requests for some Johnny Cash songs out there,” Lewand said to the fans with a smile, referring to Cash’s song “A Boy Named Sue.”

Then head coach Jim Schwartz added his own opinion on the Lions’ chances of taking the mammoth defensive lineman, if Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford goes No. 1 overall as expected.

“There’s a lot of different ways we can go,” Schwartz said, “but I don’t think you’re going to be disappointed.”

If that wasn’t enough encouragement for the die-hard fans, then perhaps the conversation between Detroit’s coordinators calmed any nerves of Detroit taking anyone but Suh. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said he let his opinion be known in a meeting with Lions officials.

“It’s like Christmas, isn’t it? In my opinion, this city deserves somebody like that,” Cunningham said referring to both Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. “Now which one is up to maybe God, I don’t know. But we’ll figure it out.”

There is speculation that the Lions may use the pick on a franchise left tackle to protect last year’s investment in quarterback Matthew Stafford. An offensive coordinator’s dream, right?

Think again.

“I’ll tell you what: When we’re killing the other team’s quarterback, I’m going to be happy,” said Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

Sounds like everyone is on board. Unless of course it is all smoke and mirrors to try to trade out of the No. 2 spot. Would they really attempt a coordinated smoke screen just two days before the draft in front of loyal, paying fans?

Bravo if they can pull off a trade that lands them a package of players and picks. We shall find out Suh-n

April 20th, 2010, 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]