View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lion pre-draft visits 
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't know if Brown fits Schwartz's physical style lineman. He's a bit undersized at 290 something and his strength is questionable.

My guess is if he didn't they wouldn't have brought him in for a visit...

April 14th, 2010, 3:09 pm
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:
I don't know if Brown fits Schwartz's physical style lineman. He's a bit undersized at 290 something and his strength is questionable.

My guess is if he didn't they wouldn't have brought him in for a visit...

Not true. If Brown is on the board at the end of round one, the Rams won't take him. And if the Lions have brought him in, another team looking to take Brown may trade up with the Lions to get him. And that might exactly be why the Lions brought him in to talk to him....an elaborate ruse.

April 14th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It looks like the Lions are serious about adding another TE:
National Football Post wrote:
Source: Aaron Hernandez visiting the Lions Florida tight end making the rounds Aaron Wilson
April 14, 2010, 09:54 AM EST University of Florida junior tight end Aaron Hernandez is visiting the Detroit Lions today, according to a source close to the program with knowledge of the situation.

Hernandez won the John Mackey Award given to the nation’s top tight end last season.

He caught 68 passes for 850 yards and five touchdowns as Tim Tebow’s primary target.

In 29 career starts, Hernandez generated 111 receptions for 1,382 yards and a dozen touchdowns.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder has run the 40-yard dash between 4.58 and 4.63 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times. He has also registered a 33-inch vertical leap and a 9-3 broad jump.

Hernandez has been graded as a potential second-round draft pick by several draft analysts.

If we decide to draft a TE I am hoping Jimmy Graham falls to the 4th and we take him their.

April 14th, 2010, 4:46 pm
RIP Killer

If we decide to draft a TE I am hoping Jimmy Graham falls to the 4th and we take him their.

I'd rather we waited till the seventh round, because the first four picks can fill more urgent needs.

My seventh round pick at TE would be Scott Sicko of New Hampshire. He is 6-4, 255 and ran a 4.56 forty at his pro day. He also is said to have very reliable hands.

April 14th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Stallion wrote:

I'd rather we waited till the seventh round, because the first four picks can fill more urgent needs.

My seventh round pick at TE would be Scott Sicko of New Hampshire. He is 6-4, 255 and ran a 4.56 forty at his pro day. He also is said to have very reliable hands.

I guess I should have specified draft a TE early.

April 14th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Heisman Winner

Is Heller still with the team? I can't recollect if he was released or traded or resigned.

In any case, we already spent a 1st rounder on TE last year, I don't expect a TE to be taken before the 6th round.

April 15th, 2010, 9:18 am
Hall of Fame Player

Detroit Lions tight end Casey FitzSimmons to retire due to injury

Amy Beth Hanson, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Apr 14, 4:12 pm EDT

Buzz up!
Print

HELENA, Mon. - Detroit Lions tight end Casey FitzSimmons(notes) announced his retirement Wednesday from the NFL due to several concussions, including one in December that is still causing him ill effects.

"This has been a very difficult decision," FitzSimmons said in a statement released by his agent. "I feel like 2009 was one of the best seasons of my career, because I was so consistent, and was able to contribute in a variety of ways. If it wasn't for the concussions, I would not be retiring.

"It's frustrating because the rest of my body is still capable of playing at a high level in the NFL," he said. "However, given the seriousness of the risk associated with continuing to play, I have to listen to the advice the team has given me."

FitzSimmons has sustained several concussions during his seven-year career, including one on Dec. 6 against the Cincinnati Bengals that caused him to end the 2009 season on the injured reserve list.

Following an evaluation by team doctors, FitzSimmons was advised by the Lions to retire.

FitzSimmons, 29, is still feeling the effects of his latest concussion, said Chris Gittings, who along with Dan Hoeven is FitzSimmons' agent. They declined to say what symptoms Fitzsimmons is experiencing.

FitzSimmons entered the NFL in April 2003 as an undrafted free agent after earning NAIA All-America honours at Carroll College in Helena.

Fitzsimmons started 11 games as a rookie and played a total of 99 career games in the NFL. FitzSimmons had 88 catches for 677 yards and five touchdowns and in the past three seasons returned seven kickoffs for 113 yards and a score.

FitzSimmons and his wife, Allison, had a daughter in February. They have a ranch near Helena.

We might draft a TE at some point after all. I hope not until late. We have too many other FAR more pressing needs.

April 15th, 2010, 10:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

Is Heller still with the team? I can't recollect if he was released or traded or resigned.

In any case, we already spent a 1st rounder on TE last year, I don't expect a TE to be taken before the 6th round.

Yes, Heller is still on the team. We also still have Gronkowski. And if we still think we need another Gronkowski's brother will probably be available in the 4th round even though he is 1st round talent because he has a bad back.

April 15th, 2010, 10:10 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

warhawkfootball.com wrote:
4/8/2010 Troney Shumpert hopes to get the call later this month
Jeff Schebler isn’t the only UW-Whitewater football player hoping to get the chance in a National Football League training camp this spring.

Troney Shumpert is hoping for “that telephone call” following this month’s NFL draft.

The Detroit Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars worked out the talented cornerback back on March 11th in Whitewater.

Shumpert’s agent, Christopher J. Cabott of Zane Management Inc. in Philadelphia, has been working the phones over the past couple months in an effort to put Toney on NFL teams lists heading into this month’s draft and free agent activity.

Some say the 5-foot-8, 180 lbs cornerback is too small to play at the NFL level.. Where have we heard recently involving for Warhawk NFL hopefuls?

For this story, Warhawkfootball.com did a spot check of NFL rosters over the past decade and a surprising number of defensive backs coming out of college HAVE made NFL rosters and had success “at the next level.”

How does UW-Whitewater head football coach Lance Leipold view Shumpert?

"He's a very athletic corner," Leipold said prior to the Warhawks 2009 NCAA Division III championship game victory over Mount Union College.. "He (Shumpert) has, I feel, great quickness, very good speed. The thing that probably sets him apart from maybe a lot of other corners is he's a very physical corner. He's going to come up and make physical plays. Like most corners, you've got to have a short memory out there of things that happen and you have to play with confidence, and Troney does that for us."

The one aspect of Shumpert’s game that sets him apart from a lot of other players is his effort and skill on special teams punt and kick coverage.

In his four years at Whitewater playing on excellent Warhawk special team’s units, Troney played like a “Texas tornado” as the “gunner” on punt coverage plays. It was not only his tenacity but the physical way he approached his mission.

To make an NFL roster coming out of Division III, not only being able to play special teams, but to play special teams at a high level is a must. Shumpert possesses that skill level.

UWW TV produced an excellent video on Troney’s bid to take it to the next level. The video was made prior to last month’s pro day.

Draftinsider.net wrote:
Another sleeper prospect, tight end Jeff Cottam of Tennessee, is drawing interest around the league. Cottam will be working out for the Detroit Lions in three weeks while the New England Patriots have displayed a lot of interest in the king sized prospect.

insidepittsburghsports wrote:
Former Pitt Panthers quarterback Bill Stull is visiting the Detroit Lions today and Stull will work out for the Lions this afternoon.
FYI, that was dated April 2nd.

Also DB Corry Stewart from Hanover College tweeted that he had received interest from the Lions. Dude sounds like a douchebag though from reading his tweets.

April 15th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Utah lineman Zane Beadles has had a busy schedule Beadles has had several workouts, visits Aaron Wilson April 15, 2010, 08:57 PM EST University of Utah offensive tackle Zane Beadles has conducted private workouts for several teams, including the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cleveland Browns, according to a source close to the program.

Beadles has visited the Broncos and the Browns.

During his Pro Day workout, Beadles bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times.

The workout was attended by offensive line coaches from the Ravens, Steelers and the Seattle Seahawks.

The athletic 6-foot-4, 307-pounder played in the Senior Bowl.

He has been projected anywhere from the third round to the later portion of the draft.

Source: Iupati in heavy demand with nine visits Idaho offensive guard-tackle had five private workouts Aaron Wilson
April 15, 2010 Top-ranked offensive guard Mike Iupati continues to garner major interest from NFL teams and is expected to be drafted within the first half of the first round, according to league sources.

According to a source close to the program, Iupati has visited the Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and the Miami Dolphins.

He conducted private workouts with the Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and the Detroit Lions.

Per an NFL source, the Oakland Raiders are extremely high on Iupati and have him under consideration to be drafted eighth overall. Raiders coach Tom Cable used to coach at Idaho.

The 6-foot-6, 331-pounder is coveted by NFL teams for his intensity, athleticism, long arms and brute strength.

While he still needs to refine his techique and adjust to a higher level of football, he's regarded as a rising draft prospect.

"I'm very aggressive off the ball," Iupati said at the NFL scouting combine. "And I open some holes for some running backs. I like to be engaged real quick and I like to pull. I think I will do a great job as an offensive guard.

"It's very natural to me because I'm very competitive. That's my nature. When it comes to football, I like to destroy."

In popular NFL parlance, Iupati is a beast.

He vaulted himself into first round status with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

With long arms (35 inches) and impressive mobility, Iupati has lined up at both offensive guard spots as well as left tackle.

Despite playing against a lower level of competition in college, Iupati has been up to the task. He’s a mauler with good feet and burgeoning technique.

Besides his initial quickness at the line of scrimmage, he controls defensive linemen with his strong base.

And the consensus All-American is building a reputation for having a nasty streak.

Former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah weighed in on Iupati.

“Most likely Pro Bowler if you took a poll of scouts at the Senior Bowl,” Jeremiah stated. “Rare size, strength and quickness. Sticks out like a sore thumb.”

National Football Post conducted the following interview with Iupati during the Senior Bowl:

What’s your confidence level like right now?

Iupati: “Yes, my mentality is confidence. I come here and concentrate. Even if I get beat, you know what; I’m going to go again. I’m not afraid of getting beat, but I just hate getting beat. I just come back and do it again better.”

How did you wind up at Idaho?

Iupati: “I was a non-qualifier out of high school. Idaho saw me at a barbecue function at a JC and they went and talked to my head coach and offered me a Prop 48 deal.”

Is this your ideal playing weight?

Iupati: “I lost weight. I played heavy before. I’m a lot faster and quicker now. I lost weight since my first year of playing. I was about 345. I’m 325 to 330 now.”

Why did your family move to the United States from American Samoa?

Iupati: “Better chance for a better education. We didn’t have sports I was in junior high school or a chance to showcase our ability. We learned to compete and we’re very competitive.

“I’m a very competitive person. Football was a way for me to get distracted from gang life and other distractions. It’s a big key for me. I was a very good defensive player but I got moved to offense.”

What do the NFL teams ask you about during the interviews?

Iupati: “Just how good I know the game of football, what’s my knowledge of football. How do I learn and stuff and my language barrier. I think I picked it up very well. Most offenses run the same schemes, just different variations. My freshman year in college, I tried to learn the rules of the game I take it all very well.”

Where does your aggressiveness come from?

Iupati: “It’s something you’ve got to be very physical to be a competitor. You got to be physical to win the game, to be dominant. You got to come there and use your big body and be aggressive with it.”

Do you feel like you intimidate defensive linemen?

Iupati: “With my big size, some people get intimidated. Some other big guys are just big and they don’t care. With me after the game they’ll say wow, and congratulate me.”

Do you feel like you’re helping your stock?

Iupati: “Yes, by working with different positions and trying to get a feel for it at the next level you have to be versatile. I have to let them know I can play.”

Do you expect to go in the first round?

Iupati: “Yes, that’s my goal, but it don’t matter. Everything is a blessing for me.”

What sets you apart?

Iupati: “My personality. I’m very humble. In the game, I turn it on. When it comes to football, I’m very laid back off the field.”

April 15th, 2010, 10:42 pm

BadgerHerald.com wrote:
After hectic March, Maragos to lay low with family on draft day
In final part of Q&A series, former UW safety says he is hoping for call from NFL
JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/The Badger Herald

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:23 p.m.
Updated Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:26:30 a.m.

Since his last football game in late December, former UW free safety Chris Maragos has been busy working on improving his status for the NFL Draft. At the same time, Maragos has split his focus between football, school, planning a wedding and getting married.

After the University of Wisconsin held its Pro Day on March 10, Maragos’ life became far busier than even he could have imagined. But his time became less focused on training for speed and agility drills than on becoming a better football player.

As a part of its series on Maragos’ NFL Draft preparation, The Badger Herald sat down with Maragos this week to discuss his training over the last month.

Below is part five in a five-part series**

**Editor’s note: Due to unexpected conflicts that arose in Maragos’ schedule during the month of March, this series has been shortened from the original plan of eight parts. We apologize for the change in plans.

Badger Herald: It’s been more than a month since we last checked in with you after Pro Day, could you bring us up to date on what’s going on with your NFL Draft preparation?

Chris Maragos: Well, I spent Monday and the first part of Tuesday in Detroit visiting the Lions, which was a real good time. I got to see some of my old buddies including DeAndre Levy, so it was really good to see them and then I just got to visit. I flew down right after that to Jacksonville here and I’m just getting ready to visit here tomorrow with the Jaguars.

BH: Can you give us some more details on your first NFL visit with the Lions? How did it go for you?

CM: Well, first you do all your physicals and you go through the whole medical deal so they can make sure everything’s good in that regard. Then, you meet the coaching staff and you get to tour the facilities and they just kind of give you a run down of the organization and what they’re all about and everything like that.

It’s really extensive and it was a pretty cool deal. We watched film, and there were a couple other guys in from different schools as well, so it was great to meet them. Pretty much, you just get a feel for what is going on there and obviously they’re getting a feel for you too.

BH: Do you have anything else scheduled with other teams beyond the Jacksonville visit?

CM: Well, I also worked out with Kansas City a week ago, but tomorrow is actually the last day that anybody can visit any NFL team with it being a week before the draft starts.

BH: What has your agent told you, or what have you learned about your status in the visits?

CM: I think I probably get a better feel for it, now that I’m here, than my agent would. But all the feedback I’m getting is very positive. They all like the way that I play and they heard that I had a really good Pro Day.

They’re definitely excited about the possibilities in the future, and I am as well. But it’s just going to depend on the draft on what teams like me and what if they have a pick during or around the area of the draft where my stock is and if I’m the guy that they want to take at that time. It can go any which way, so I’m just waiting and hoping to get my name called.

BH: Do you have any plans already for what you’re going to do during the draft?

CM: I think just my wife and I and my parents and my brother are going to hang out for the draft. I don’t think we’re going to have a draft party or anything crazy like that. We’re just going to kind of lay low with this and just hang out with each other. We’re really just going to try and enjoy the weekend.

I don’t think we’re going to have a lot of people, because when you do that can get really crazy. And I don’t really want a lot of people around because you just never know what’s going to happen with the draft.

BH: But you do still plan on watching the draft even though it’ll just be with immediate family?

CM: Oh yeah, we’ll definitely watch it together at our house. We’ll just keep it real simple and enjoy each other’s company, just the five of us.

April 17th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Post Re: Lion pre-draft visits
I thought this was interesting:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Lions selected only one predraft visitor: Ndamukong Suh
BY CARLOS MONARREZ
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Lions might be geniuses when it comes to protecting their predraft strategy. But all their secrecy also might mean that fans might be wasting their time if they are trying to read anything into the Lions' predraft moves.

The Lions were allowed to bring 30 players to their Allen Park headquarters for predraft visits. Of the six players they drafted, only Ndamukong Suh made a predraft visit. General manager Martin Mayhew said the Lions simply didn't feel the need to bring in some players.

"There were quite a few guys that we had a comfort level with earlier, whether it was through the East-West game, meeting with them, or meeting with them at the combine," he said. "Guys we brought in for visits, we brought in to find out more about -- we felt we needed to have more information about them. Guys we didn't bring in, we feel comfortable with."

This is a far cry from the Millen era. There was one year (I think it was 2007 or 2008) that every player drafted either visited Allen Park or had a private workout with the Lions. Mayhew is much more secretive to where people don't know who they will select.

April 27th, 2010, 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4