View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Vote!! Toby Gerhart 2nd Rd. Pick 

Who wants Toby Gerhart?
Poll ended at April 24th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Yes 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 40

Vote!! Toby Gerhart 2nd Rd. Pick 
Walk On

Post Vote!! Toby Gerhart 2nd Rd. Pick
Why isn't this kid in discussion as a second round pick? He won't be around for a third. We're talking about getting injury prone RB's like Jahvid Best and Trading for Ronnie Brown. Why?

My Arguement:

Gerhart ran a 4.53 at the combine on their slow track. First, Dexter McCluster, long considered an example of SEC speed, ran a 4.58! Second, a lot of people adjust the times at the combine's slow track by taking off as much as a tenth of a second to match the times at pro days and individual workouts, which are on fast tracks. So, Gerhart's 4.53 at the combine is equivalent to a 4.48 or even a 4.45 at a pro day! And what did Reggie Bush run on the VERY FAST track at USC's pro day after spending THREE MONTHS on speed training (because USC holds one of the last pro days, a full six weeks after the combine)? A 4.38. Am I saying that Gerhart is as fast or nearly as fast as Reggie Bush? Not really. BUT GERHART IS 231 POUNDS! A 231 LB. GUY WHO RAN FOR 1871 YARDS AND 27 TDS FOR A WINNING MAJOR COLLEGE TEAM AND THEN RUNS A 4.53 AT THE NFL COMBINE OUGHT TO BE IN THE DISCUSSION FOR A TOP TEN PICK!

There is no debate that Stanford's Toby Gerhart is a powerful running back who should be able to pound his way through for short yardage in the NFL for whatever team ends up drafting him. But can he catch a a football?

That is what NFL teams would like to know before placing too much stock on a running back who is well regarded to be a top five running back according to draft gurus all over. NFL Draft Examiner Josh Lobdell has Gerhart ranked as the third top running back in the upcoming NFL Draft. His ability to break around tackles is well documented as Gerhart really took off with his performance on the field last season for Stanford. Seemingly out of nowhere Gerhart stole the spotlight in the PAC 10 from a disappointing Jahvid Best from rival Cal and it ended with an invitation to New York City for the awarding of the Heisman Trophy (Gerhart finished second in a close race with Alabama's Mark Ingram). So as Gerhart prepares to move on to the professional ranks it remains to be seen whether or not he can handle more diversity in the play calling, and with his size he could be a valuable asset out of the backfield if he can keep his hands on some passes.

The way Gerhart is built makes him a potentially dangerous back on screen packages. With his ability to burst with speed and elude defensive players and stay on his feet, Gerhart will fit nicely in a West Coast offense somewhere. But he admitted after his NFL Combine appearance that he needed to work on his catching.

This is why his pass reception skills were the focus of his pro day on Thursday on the fields of Palo Alto High School, ten minutes from Stanford (the pro day festivities had to relocate and were delayed as the players did not have the correct shoes for the new turf that was being installed on Stanford's campus). During the most recent season Gerhart caught just 11 passes, but for 157 yards (14.3 yard average per catch). In his three years in the Stanford backfield Gerhart caught a total of 39 passes. On Thursday Gerhart believes he may have done enough to prove to representatives from 30 NFL teams that he will be reliable as a receiver.

So Gerhart went through a series of drills designed to illustrate his pass-catching skills. He ran the kind of short routes expected out of NFL running backs, catching passes thrown by former Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard. And he went through specialized drills conducted by longtime Cincinnati Bengals running-backs coach Jim Anderson, having balls fired at him in rapid succession from short distances as he moved laterally.
- Glen Reeves, Mercury News, March 18, 2010

Gerhart said that he dropped one ball and got heated over it, but over all he felt his passing drills went well. Gerhart did not participate in any drills that were initially held at the NFL Scouting Combine. He felt confident in his performance in Indianapolis so he just focused on the passing drills. This is somewhat surprising as many players have historically performed better in their pro days than they do at the combine.

Career Statistics
Year GP ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS TD
2006 12 106 375 3.5 0 15 124 0
2007 1 12 140 11.7 1 0 0 0
2008 12 210 1,136 5.4 15 13 114 0
2009 13 343 1,871 5.5 28 11 157 0

Totals 38 671 3,522 5.2 44 39 395 0

HE COULD BE THE WHITE ADRIAN PETERSON. If this kid was black, no one would be questioning it. An I have every reason to address it, because I'm black myself. He's solid white or black.

Last edited by Mufasa on April 17th, 2010, 2:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

April 17th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would rather draft Tate in the 3rd or Blount in the 4th.

April 17th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Walk On

Stallion wrote:
I would rather draft Tate in the 3rd or Blount in the 4th.

April 17th, 2010, 2:13 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I have to vote no at 34. His value seems to fit him in the late 2 to early 3 area. I would love to have him, but not at 34. If we trade back in the second or if he's there at 66, absolutely.

April 17th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Heisman Winner

I'm not spending the #34 on LeRon McClain. He's talented, big and quick, but he has no shake. That limitation makes him a 3rd round pick at best and I'd be fine with that.

April 17th, 2010, 2:19 pm
NFL Team Captain

I have always heard it the other way that the Combine track is fast. Either way, I wouldn't mind to have the kid if he fell to the 3rd, but not at the #34. Too many other needs to address and the RB class is fairly deep. I really am not all that interested in Best either in the second.

April 17th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Team MVP

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 17th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Suh and then the best remaining CB. PERIOD :!:

Then we can look for a RB and whatever else.

April 17th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Walk On

So everyone is OK with them picking Jahvid Best as the 2nd pick, because that's what most experts have us doing. I'm not saying our needs isn't some place else, they are and if he's a late 2nd or early third awesome but I think if we go RB he's better than taking Best off the boards there. My dream scenerio would be trading back at 2 and picking up picks to improve every where.

April 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

So everyone is OK with them picking Jahvid Best as the 2nd pick, because that's what most experts have us doing. I'm not saying our needs isn't some place else, they are and if he's a late 2nd or early third awesome but I think if we go RB he's better than taking Best off the boards there. My dream scenerio would be trading back at 2 and picking up picks to improve every where.

CB should be the pick at #34, but i'd understand the Best pick if it happened, but not Gerhart. "Just enough speed to be a threat" is what scouts say about him. Isn't that what they said about Smith? Finding a short yardage back is easy. You can even transform a defensive player to push a pile. Even Speed is easy to find. What you can't find anywhere is elusiveness and explosion. The ability to make people miss. His concussion that ended his 2009 season was doing much of the same, exploding over the defenders and into the endzone.

Injuries happen and luck plays apart in it. But realistically, who would have a greater chance of injury? The elusive, explosive back, or the big bruiser back who makes contact? This isn't playing against a majority of subpar defenders that you can run over consistently. I think Gerhart will spend more time on the sidelines than best will.

Best also fits in here better because we already have Morris and Smith when he finishes rehabbing. I'm hoping they go corner, or trade down and select a RB later in the 2nd or even as far down to the 4th, but IF we select a RB at 34, it'll be Best.

April 17th, 2010, 3:18 pm
Team MVP

Mufasa wrote:

CB should be the pick at #34, but i'd understand the Best pick if it happened, but not Gerhart. "Just enough speed to be a threat" is what scouts say about him. Isn't that what they said about Smith? Finding a short yardage back is easy. You can even transform a defensive player to push a pile. Even Speed is easy to find. What you can't find anywhere is elusiveness and explosion. The ability to make people miss. His concussion that ended his 2009 season was doing much of the same, exploding over the defenders and into the endzone.

Injuries happen and luck plays apart in it. But realistically, who would have a greater chance of injury? The elusive, explosive back, or the big bruiser back who makes contact? This isn't playing against a majority of subpar defenders that you can run over consistently. I think Gerhart will spend more time on the sidelines than best will.

Best also fits in here better because we already have Morris and Smith when he finishes rehabbing. I'm hoping they go corner, or trade down and select a RB later in the 2nd or even as far down to the 4th, but IF we select a RB at 34, it'll be Best.

Yeah I definetly think if Jahvid Best is there at #34, we should take him. I know we need CB help, big time. But I just think if Best is there we cannot afford to pass on him. The coaching staff wants a home run type runner with speed, and I think Best fits that perfectly.

I wouldnt mind Gerhart, but not in the second.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 17th, 2010, 3:27 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Like i said earlier, speed isn't everything either. We have Aaron Brown for speed, but Brown doesn't have the ability to make people miss like Best does. You can't teach elusiveness or balance.

April 17th, 2010, 3:49 pm
RIP Killer

No Mufasa, I'm not sold on Best in round two. Like Billy Sims, I think the Lions MUST address their defense in round two with a cornerback. Our corners are barely adequate, and that just won't do in a pass happy NFL.

And speaking of pass happy, that's exactly why we don't need to burn a high second round pick on Gerhart. Truthfully, I believe he will be available in round three. I'd take him there. I believe that teams in this years second round are going to be working to shore up pass defenses, or add strength to their offenses for the passing game. I think Best, Dwyer and maybe Tate will go in round two.

Like you, I believe that if Gerhart were black that there would be much more hype about him than there has been. Successful RBs in the NFL in the modern era are predominantly black. Facts are facts. But Gerhart definitely has the talent to be the exception to the rule.

April 17th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Junior Varsity

I have to vote no at 34. His value seems to fit him in the late 2 to early 3 area. I would love to have him, but not at 34. If we trade back in the second or if he's there at 66, absolutely.

Totally agree.

I like Gerhart a lot, but there are other solid RBs in this class that will be available later and allow us to fill other needs first.

April 17th, 2010, 4:42 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Hoping a top rated corner falls to #34. Toby is a good player.... but not at #34.

April 17th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next